April 16, 2024, 06:06:50 AM

Author Topic: Drunken Priestess  (Read 15081 times)

DrunkenSaint

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Drunken Priestess
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »
Really struggled not just calling this one DrunkenSaint. It is however best to stick with the chosen form!

Standard rigamarole:

For anyone who missed it I have just decided to start uploading my current decks! Ill try to upload 1-2 a day and give a rundown of how any games I play with them go, as well as any tweaks I make to them along the way.

I'm fairly new to the game/ have only recently found a group of players to compete with. as I have only been playing new players for the most part my games are often undeserving victories!
I am trying to keep 6 functional decks so that I can have some variety and so that any new players i introduce can have their pick of interesting mages (I currently have the Kumanjaro and DvN expansions) and while I have purchased a few extra cards, some of my card choices are based on a lack of availability. I know teleport is awesome!

Anyways onto my:

Priestess
(Westlock)

---  Conjuration  ---  (16)
1 Temple of the Dawnbreaker
1 Hand of Bim-Shalla
1 Temple of Light
1 Temple of Asyra
1 Battle Forge
1 Wall of Steel
---  Creature  ---  (27)
2 Knight of Westlock
1 Brogan Bloodstone
2 Guardian Angel
1 Highland Unicorn
2 Royal Archer
2 Asyran Cleric
---  Enchantment  --- (28)
1 Teleport Trap
3 Healing Charm
1 Bear Strength
2 Decoy
3 Nullify
1 Armor Ward
1 Regrowth
1 Divine Intervention
3 Divine Protection
1 Sacred Ground
---  Equipment  ---  (20)
1 Veterans Belt
2 Mage Wand
1 Leather Gloves
1 Leather Boots
1 Crown of Protection
1 Meditation Amulet
1 Dragonscale Hauberk
1 Ring of Asyra
1 Enchanter's Ring
---  Incantation  ---  (29)
2 Teleport
2 Dissolve
2 Dispel
1 Purify
1 Purge Magic
1 Seeking Dispel
2 Minor Heal
1 Group Heal

This spell-book is I imagine, fairly standard. I don't dip heavily into any other schools and am not trying anything too tricky. I probably play much as most people who first pick up the standard priestess spell book might. focus on build up, some board control with the archers and strong survivable guards, lots of heals to make sure that mine are the last men standing. My only real included variety comes from the inclusion of the forge and the ability to equip my mage  differently to deal with changes in fortune. It is straight forward, but has been effective thus-far. I do think that this is one of my favorite spell-books to use when teaching the game. It tends to efficiently illustrate most aspects of the game, not favoring any one thing to the exclusion of anything else.  I use ranged attacks, counter attacks, guards, dodges, flying, enchantments, spawnpoints and equipment in most every game played. As such I have played with it more than most of my decks, the games have however been fairly similar and straightforward. I'll outline my play in general terms rather than game by game.

Games: (wins :D )
(lumping all of my vs newbie games together here.)

Battle Forge/Asyran Cleric, I start with the forge and the cleric because I like the security the forge gives my early game, rusher's tend to take a second to think when they know you can be decently equipped by the time they got to you. The cleric's action token can be nice to have right off the bat; while weak it offers up lots of play options. My second turn depends on whats going on of course, but I like to have the forge cast a med amulet, while I cast temple of Asyra (In my starting square)  and use the amulet for my full action. I now have a strong mana base (16) , and lots of options.

Game 2: (win Vs Druid)
(this game was actually played with the priest, and a slight variation of the book, namely the addition of a Staff of Asyra, and another bear strength or 2. It was also played against an at least slightly more experienced player)

move, Battle Forge/Bear Strength. I decided an all out offensive would be fun to try with this guy. I moved and equipped until I was at the extent of my battle forge's range, then I summoned a knight and a Temple of Asyra (their side of the board). My thought was that I would hopefully not be needing all of my mana at this point and that I might be able to get some use out of the summon action sooner or later, (was thinking a unicorn support may come in handy). Turns out I did need my mana, the spawn point wound up getting destroyed with a whopping 6 mana unused on it :( He wasted some valuable time killing it though, so i think it was, more or less a wash. The game as a whole was less than elegant, and I think I won due purely due to my greater experience. I don't know that I would try the rush again with the priests, unless forced to it.

~

So far I feel like the priestess is solid, though mine at least offers up few opportunities for really imaginative play. There is much to be said for solid and reliable though, and I can heartily recommend a book like this for new players!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Drunken Priestess
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:08 PM »
Mr. Saint, I must say I am thoroughly enjoying your "drunken" spellbooks. You should probably tell us which liquor goes best with each. :-D

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »
That's easy, Communion Wine....

With a smile and deference to all Catholics, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek here....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DrunkenSaint

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
goes best with each. :-D

That's easy, Communion Wine....

Lol I love you both! And while I am generally a red wine fan I was in fact enjoying a bottle of Oregon Vally pino gris while writing my Priestess Post.

I tend to enjoy a gin and tonic whilst playing my Drunken Wizard.

I am as of yet a druidic novice, my pallet may not have adjusted yet. Currently however, I find that in it's manic state it balances well when paired with scotch on the rocks. That simple peaty flavor really brings it back to earth.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:46 PM »
Yea, for druid I'd probably pick something earthy, like a Guiness. Though now I want to find the perfect spellbook to pair with an Oban 14.  The search begins.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »
Congratulations, now I want to figure out how to turn mage wars into a drinking game. Perhaps every round your mage takes damage you take a drink.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:53:43 PM »
Congratulations, now I want to figure out how to turn mage wars into a drinking game. Perhaps every round your mage takes damage you take a drink.
I think Amadseer has already proposed something along these lines....

Mage Wars: The Drinking Game
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:17:05 AM »
When you play the game of booze you either win or pass out, there is no middle ground.

But seriously, I don't think you can stay sober even looking at that drinking game. :-)

DrunkenSaint

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »
agreed! and some Mages have a serious advantage in terms of of their beverage's alcohol content!
... Boy have we digressed!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:36 AM »
I completely forgot about that variant. I think I may die from alcohol poisoning.

klaymen

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 05:42:48 AM »
Yea, for druid I'd probably pick something earthy, like a Guiness. Though now I want to find the perfect spellbook to pair with an Oban 14.  The search begins.

Since druid conjures trees, I was thinking of distilled fruit. Borovička (juniper brandy) with a mere 40% volume or slivovitz (plum brandy) if you feel like drinking 52% alcohol.

I completely forgot about that variant. I think I may die from alcohol poisoning.

I'd say that variant will be lethal no matter what you drink. I can see myself getting water poisoning when drinking water instead of alcohol.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
Acid spells are usually water school, though...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.