April 27, 2024, 11:15:33 AM

Author Topic: My Priestess build (lacking a better title)  (Read 16494 times)

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: My Priestess build (lacking a better title)
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:15 AM »
Hyper aggro is quite difficult to handle. I had a very tough game against the Double Grizzly FM build I faced in the finals. I managed to play my best MW game ever and had better luck with the dice than my opponent (he rolled on average against me and my spawnpoints while I rolled above average to destroy his threatening Deathlock), which helped a lot. Dispel wand is very important in this match-up to remove Moongose agility whenever it shows. Eagle wings, specially out of nature where you can afford 2-3 copies of the spell, on Cervere will be a huge problem, though (I've never thought of a flying panther, but now I have to try it!). But I never considered playing against a Beastmaster in that game.

I do agree that time limit is a problem for many builds. We had no time limit in our games, so our meta evolved quite differently as it would have developed in a timed environment (this build would struggle to win on time without access to spike damage and due to its slow nature). But if we want a non-league tournament scene to settle, we need to have a time limit for games or we wouldn't be able to play more than 2 rounds in one session. In fact, I want to hold a MW tournament one day, but I have a strong feeling that there would be not as many attendance as the league had (maybe 50% and our tournament would gather just 6 people) because of the length of the rounds.

We have to assume that there are two different metagames in MW: one for timed games and one for untimed games.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 07:41:12 AM »
We have to assume that there are two different metagames in MW: one for timed games and one for untimed games.

I can see why most people would think this way. I will tell you from experience that you can play anything from the most aggressive builds to the most control heavy and win in about 45 minutes. Just keep in mind the goal is to kill the other mage. The only time I see games take 2 hours plus is when you have 2 turtle builds and nobody wants to commit to attacking.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »

I can see why most people would think this way. I will tell you from experience that you can play anything from the most aggressive builds to the most control heavy and win in about 45 minutes. Just keep in mind the goal is to kill the other mage. The only time I see games take 2 hours plus is when you have 2 turtle builds and nobody wants to commit to attacking.

I have seen several different players litterally spend 10-15 minutes on one planning phase 3 or more rounds in a row. Usually it starts round 2.
Brain melting to find perfect strategy vs my whatever opening+mage.

If i wanted that slow games then i would get into chess -_-

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 09:28:41 AM »

I have seen several different players litterally spend 10-15 minutes on one planning phase 3 or more rounds in a row. Usually it starts round 2.
Brain melting to find perfect strategy vs my whatever opening+mage.

If i wanted that slow games then i would get into chess -_-

If we want to continue this it should go to a new thread.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »
We use 2min timers for Planning - alarm goes off, tough if too few cards, random return if too many cards
The phone alarm clock emits a 30 second warning too
Most of the time, we are both ready within a minute but there are times when the full 2mins are used
If we had chess clocks, we would probably use them (guess we could just use phone stopwatches)

Bringing it back to the thread topic of the Priestess...

I fell asleep during my first game against the Priestess...
(It was after missing the prior night's sleep)

It was very early on when we all just had Core Set
I think I was playing Lair Dog Swarm
I had lost more than she had invested removing old Temple of Light so lacked the firepower to take her out
Nor did I have a Dissolve left for her Wand of Minor Heal...
This was also before timed Planning and against an equally new player who turtled and wasn't adventurous

Nowadays w've learnt to resign like gentlemen when Priestess gains control instead of prolonging the pain

I suspect many other players have nodded off playing against a slow Priestess.
Who said Sleep was a Forcemaster spell...? :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:15:31 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

baron von bubba

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »
Just wondering about something here, the OP uses the priestess to place one mana on the temple of asyra?

My gaming partner and myself can't see where it says in rules where she can be used for this?
Anyone clarify for me please?

Oh and hi everyone.  ;D

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
No Baron, he says "cleric and priestess get some mana".  It's imprecise, but implied from the previous round: the cleric puts a mana on the Temple, while the Priestess uses the Medallion.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:17 AM »
Hi Baron!

Sorry for being vague. As IndyPendant said, the Priestess uses her full action to trigger Meditation amulet and get 3 mana in the pool while the Cleric puts 1 mana directly on the temple using its ability.
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

baron von bubba

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 11:56:07 AM »
gotcha.
dont have the medallion yet, probably why i misunderstood the build a little.
thanks for the clarification chaps .