September 28, 2024, 11:18:56 PM

Author Topic: Eternal Servant vs. Rise Again  (Read 5985 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Eternal Servant vs. Rise Again
« on: January 27, 2014, 03:10:03 PM »
How would this be handled of the Necro's opponent (not saying it is smart) placed a Rise Again hidden enchantment on his Eternal Servant?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Eternal Servant vs. Rise Again
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 03:27:28 PM »
Can't happen. Rise Again target a living creature. Eternal Servant is for undead only.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »
This is why I ask for full card text. Because i cant remember them all.

(almost posted wrong info)
Go figure I am a mortal :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 03:32:27 PM »
Can't happen. Rise Again target a living creature. Eternal Servant is for undead only.

If it did happen it would fall into illegal cast rules.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:33:51 PM »
This is why I ask for full card text. Because i cant remember them all.

(almost posted wrong info)
Go figure I am a mortal :P

Your mortality will only be forgiven with a banana sticker :P

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
That dang Target Bar gets me all of the time. If I make a mistake on rules interpretation most of the time the Target Bar is involved.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:28:56 PM »
In a theoretical situation where two different sources called for a Reanimation, it would just default to the normal simultaneous rules situation.  Its basically just two effects attempting to trigger at the same time, triggered by creature death.

The only way it can currently happen actually runs into a different rules issue.  The only legal situation of simultaneous reanimation would be for both an opponent and myself to unknowingly have cast Rise Again on the same creature.  Then it would run into a mess of sorting out Simultaneous effect AND "destroying the revealed to be illegal duplicate enchantment" effect.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 04:38:07 PM »
Rise again does not have a trigger. You must reveal it before the creature dies for it to work (although you can wait till after the dice are rolled since that is a separate step before actually applying damage). If two people have rise again on the same target, then whoever reveals first is the legal one and the other can not be revealed without being immediately destroyed. If they both want to reveal at the same time, whoever has initiative has priority. This is covered in the FAQ.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
Rise Again does not have a trigger. You must reveal it before the creature dies for it to work (although you can wait till after the dice are rolled since that is a separate step before actually applying damage). If two people have rise again on the same target, then whoever reveals first is the legal one and the other can not be revealed without being immediately destroyed. If they both want to reveal at the same time, whoever has initiative has priority. This is covered in the FAQ.
[mwcard=DNE02] Rise Again[/mwcard]

So in theory if this card were revealed during the Damage & Effects phase and creature died as a result, it would just default to the normal simultaneous rules situation.

Meaning the player with Initiative?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 05:06:32 PM »
Rise Again does not have a trigger. You must reveal it before the creature dies for it to work (although you can wait till after the dice are rolled since that is a separate step before actually applying damage). If two people have rise again on the same target, then whoever reveals first is the legal one and the other can not be revealed without being immediately destroyed. If they both want to reveal at the same time, whoever has initiative has priority. This is covered in the FAQ.
[mwcard=DNE02] Rise Again[/mwcard]

So in theory if this card were revealed during the Damage & Effects phase and creature died as a result, it would just default to the normal simultaneous rules situation.

Meaning the player with Initiative?

I would go in order asking each player if they want to flip any enchants before applying dmg. Once it is face up then the rest of the RAs if any cannot be revealed.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 02:37:25 AM »
You can not reveal an enchantment during a phase our step. They have to be revealed between phases/steps. Thus the proper order would be to reveal it after the roll dice step and before the damage and effects step. As shadow pointed out, you may want to ask about revealing enchantments in initiative order because if multiple people wish to reveal at the same time then initiative has priority.

It is never ambiguous as to whether the creature reanimates or just dies if that was your question. Either you reveal it before it takes damage and dies, in which case it will be able to reanimate, or you don't and it just dies.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »
You can not reveal an enchantment during a phase our step. They have to be revealed between phases/steps. Thus the proper order would be to reveal it after the roll dice step and before the damage and effects step. As shadow pointed out, you may want to ask about revealing enchantments in initiative order because if multiple people wish to reveal at the same time then initiative has priority.

It is never ambiguous as to whether the creature reanimates or just dies if that was your question. Either you reveal it before it takes damage and dies, in which case it will be able to reanimate, or you don't and it just dies.

Correct

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
I did not mean "during" but the space between the two. My sloppy use of language. I apologize.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
Just double checking this, because it doesn't seem entirely clear. If a non-epic, non-legendary living creature gets reanimated from the effect of rise again, can that creature also become an eternal servant? Rise again says that the creature becomes a zombie when it "comes into play", and the eternal servant effect also says "comes into play". So are these simultaneous, like a nullify and reverse magic on the same target at the same time (you can only choose one and afterwards the other can't take effect), or simultaneous like burn damage and regeneration (both take effect, but their controller chooses the order).

Thematically, it feels like the eternal servant ability should work on any non-epic, non-legendary undead creature, regardless of whether they used to be alive or not, because presumably ALL undead creatures USED TO BE ALIVE.

It doesn't make sense to me thematically that I could not make a creature my eternal servant if it becomes a zombie when it comes into play, but I would still like to be more clear on this from a rules perspective.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »
Theme does not apply to the rules. This interaction still works as stated in the thread.

Please do not necro dead threads
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 10:51:22 AM by Shad0w »