April 26, 2024, 02:10:25 AM

Author Topic: Multiplayer demoing without Multiplayer  (Read 2951 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Multiplayer demoing without Multiplayer
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
If you want to Demo Mage Wars but want to introduce them to regular 1v1 duels first, it can present a dillemma when there are many people to demo, no one to help you, and limited time.

If you want to Demo multiple people at the same time, 3 players 4 players or 5 players, this format can help. It is essentially a way to play multiple separate 1v1 games at the same time on the same board.

You get as many spellbooks and mages as there are apprentices. All of your mages start in one corner, and all of the apprentice mages start in the other. (you probably need card sleeves to differentiate between the cards of each simultaneous game.

Everything an apprentice controls is immune to everything any other apprentice controls, and is also immune to the existence of Mages that they are not playing against as well as anything that mage controls.

Each game takes turns going through phases like this:

1. Initiative( happens for all games at the same time)
2. Reset (happens for all games at the same time)
3. Channeling (happens for all games at the same time. At the beginning of the demo, you might want to do this phase for each game separately one after the other, rather than all at once.)

4. Game 1 Upkeep, Game 2 Upkeep, Game 3 Upkeep...
5. Planning phase (happens for all games at the same time)

6. Game 1 Deploy Phase, Game 2 Deploy Phase, Game 3 Deploy phase...
7. Game 1 Quick Cast phase, Game 2 Quick Cast phase, Game 3 Quick Cast phase
8. Game 1 Action phase, Game 1 Action phase, Game 2 Action phase, Game 2 Action phase, Game 3 Action phase, Game 3 Action phase...Game 1 Action phase, Game 1 Action phase...
9. Game 1 Final Quick Cast phase, Game 2 Final Quick Cast phase, Game 3 Final Quick Cast phase

When any game ends, all of the cards involved in it are removed from the board.

If there are a large even number of apprentices, 4, 6, 8, or 10 of them, you can also pair them up with each other instead of with you. However, conducting 5 demos with 2 players each at the same time can be difficult if anyone jumps ahead to another phase before all the other simultaneous games are done with them.

Then again, 10 players on one board is probably going to get cluttered. I'm thinking that it should be max eight players per 12 zone board, and two 1v1 demos every 6 zones.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:21:10 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.