April 23, 2024, 12:24:39 PM

Author Topic: A new look at the Warlock equipment build  (Read 3448 times)

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
A new look at the Warlock equipment build
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:58:53 AM »
Veteran's belt has LOT to offer to this build.
This is one of the slower builds for Warlock next to a creature swarm but it really seems to lock the enemy down.

Stack on your armor and wait for the enemy mage to blow through a few dissolves then throw down a Vet's belt. With this piece of equipment it is a much more viable option to stack on a ton of armor: Breastplate of choice (+2), Rhino Hide (+2), Elemental Cloak (+1), leather boots (+1) all for a total of 6 armor. You could throw down leather gloves but I find it hard to pass up Gauntlets of Strength.

When you combine this with Vet's belt it suddenly makes any attack not doing 6 or more damage seem like a joke. Attacks dealing 3 damage almost never get any damage off at all.

I played this against a Forcemaster. Even though she rushed me there hit a point where she was completely ineffective. Ironically the game ended with a force hold and ghoul rot. Once she ran out of dispels she would have to teleport or push herself just to get in one attack before I lashed her and ran away.

I am wondering how this will hold up against a creature rush deck but I feel confident once all the armor is down it won't really matter.

Any thoughts? Anyone else see the effectiveness of this combo?
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: A new look at the Warlock equipment build
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:18:31 AM »
Corrode is a hard counter to your strategy.

After you have spend 5 or so actions + X mana on getting 5 armor and vet belt 2 x acid ball for 10 mana and 2 actions will leave you with 1-2 armor on average.

The current ways of getting rid of corrode is expensive in terms of spellpoints for the warlock and it will take quite some time to remove 3-4 corrode.
Im pretty sure it wont be worth trying to remove the corrode for the warlock since it will cost too many actions to do it, and spellpoints to include the tools.

Pre DvsN stacking armor never looking back seemed solid in most cases.
Post DvsN i've approached armor stacking differently. Only adding a maximum of 2 at a time in order to keep the option of adding more after a possible corrode.

(and there are obviously times where i dont bother about armor on the mage at all.)

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:15:06 AM »
Agreed on the acid ball. It seems like the next card that every mage might need at least one of. I suppose a wand of healing would be a hard counter to corrode but it would certainly slow the damage down (not to mention the mana cost). It would also be expensive to add into the warlock deck.

So in this case the priestess is back to being the best equip deck on the board.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »
If you have decent access to Corrode, don't bother removing cards that give armor unless they also give a damage barrier or elemental resistance that's getting in the way. Save your Dissolves for Vet Belt. I like the option of stacking armor and Veteran's Belt, but there are tools to deal with it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster