April 20, 2024, 01:17:40 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars: The Drinking Game  (Read 6754 times)

Amadseer

• Official Lorekeeper of Etheria
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mage Wars: The Drinking Game
« on: December 11, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
As we move closer to holiday party season, I thought I would update and repost here a variant I originally posted on BGG long ago.

Spoiler: Booze makes everything better.

Here's how its done:
== SET UP ==
Each mage will need a representative alcohol.

Apprentice Mode suggestions (easy/cheap):
• Warlock: Guiness (black)
• Priestess: Corona (golden)
• Beastmaster: Red Dog (or Grizzly Beer if you can find it) (amber)
• Wizard: Wine or any purple wine cooler (purple)
• Forcemaster: Blue Hawaii wine cooler or any other blue wine cooler (blue)
• Warlord: Sangria (blood red)
• Druid: Green wine cooler or Kiwi-Lemon MD 20/20 (green)
• Necromancer: Pina cola wine cooler, or Zima (pale)

If you really want to play it up, here's some more flavorful/wildly alcoholic suggestions:
• Warlock: Hot Damn (cinnamon schnapps), Blavod Black Vodka,
• Priestess: Goldschlager, Champagne, Tequila
• Beastmaster: Wild Turkey, any brown liqueur (whiskey, rum, etc.)
• Wizard: Purple Passion, or Chambord
• Forcemaster: Curcao, blueberry schnapps, Mage's Fire (http://mixthatdrink.com/mages-fire/)
• Warlord: Patron Silver (tequila), or Bloody Vampire (http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink11242.html) — it’s blood red and delicious (spiced rum + kool-aid)
• Druid: Absinthe (green and distilled from botanicals)
• Necromancer: Vodka, especially Crystal Head Vodka (just pouring from a skull bottle is cool)

Each mage will also need a shot glass. I recommend making them as distinctive as the mages and their respective brews -- an evil looking shot glass for the warlock, a golden one for the Priestess, etc.

== WHEN TO DRINK ==
When these events happen, pour a shot of your mage's specified alcohol into your opponent's shot glass and make HIM/HER drink:
• You damage an opponent mage (in melee or by cast spell)
• You destroy an opponent creature
• You Dissolve or Explode a piece of equipment
• Your opponent forces you to reveal a “must reveal” enchantment like Nullify or Block
• You Force Push (or any similar spell that has the same effect) your opponent through any wall.
• You Dispel or Seeking Dispel any creature

When these events happen, the PLAYER WHO DOES THIS ACTION must pour a shot of his own alcohol and drink
• Whenever he/she plays a "class-only" card
• Whenever his mana supply reaches "0"
• Rolls all blanks (noooooooooo)
• Casts a Mana Crystal or Mana Flower
• Triggers a zone trap
• Does not play both of his/her chosen spell cards by the end of the turn.
• Gets his/her mage "Stunned", "Burning", or "Tainted"

When these events happen, EACH mage must pour a shot of their own specified alcohol into their shot glass and drink
• When Gate to Hell is played
• When a Bloodreaper, Iron Golem, Earth Elemental, Pet, scantily clad angel, Hydra or Steelclaw Grizzly is first played
• A mage moves into the zone with the "MageWars" logo in it.
• A Decoy spell is revealed
• The game moves into its second hour of play

When these events happen, BOTH players must drink a shot of their alcohol, followed by a shot of their opponents alcohol
• All zones are occupied by Zone Exclusive conjurations
• Both players have more than 30 mana
• At the end of any turn, if no damage has been done to any creature in the arena.
• The game has moved into its third hour of play

The Loser of the game must take two shots of the winner Mage's alcohol.

Last mage standing… is the winner?
Happy Holidays!

Amadseer

________
Which is to say, that there are many diverse and interesting things in the world, none of which are comparable to the might and power of the Arraxian Crown. Those who would trifle with the power of Warlocks must forever learn this fundamental truth.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:41:56 PM by Amadseer »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars: The Drinking Game
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
LOL!

Something I would like to point out though, is that, assuming the players' alcohol tolerance is about the same, highly aggressive builds have a big advantage. Since Controlling mages will want to win in the late game, they will have to drink a lot more in order to win than an aggressive mage would have to in order to win.

Also, I think you're assuming that everyone who will want to play Mage Wars: The Drinking Game will have a high enough tolerance to even finish the game without passing out under this rule set, since nearly every little thing causes a person to either fill their glass or drink. And even a person who ISN'T drunk is going to have a hard time remembering when to drink from their own or their opponent's shot-glass, and when to pour etc.

I think that everyone in the game should have drinks with about the same amount of alcoholic content, and that the amount of drinking should be tied to damage. Every time a mage takes damage, they must pour a corresponding amount of alcoholic beverage into their glass. When they heal, a corresponding amount of alcoholic beverage is removed from their glass. When a mage dies, they must drink all of the alcoholic beverage in their glass.

I think this makes much more sense. The reason that Mages wouldn't drink during the game is because (at least IMO) the game would never finish! Mage Wars is a very long and complicated game, and there's a lot to keep track of. With your rules, I think a lot of experienced players would accidentally cheat while under the influence, which could cause some serious conflict.

But what do I know? I don't drink and I'm never going to. :P
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Amadseer

• Official Lorekeeper of Etheria
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
Sometimes you just need an excuse for a good time. I am simply providing the runway.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:10:44 PM by Amadseer »

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »
And "Mage Pours" will live on throughout the ages.   ;D
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

p.ts.j

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 07:18:55 AM »
Sometimes you just need an excuse for a good time. I am simply providing the runway.  ;)

I love this version and will definitely give it a bash. Even my husband likea it, but obviously if playing with friends (we play 2v2) no one will be driving that night.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:09:08 PM »
i'm going to post a fairer and more enjoyable version of this format tonight. seriously, there's no way someone who's intoxicated is going to be able to keep track of all this, and a lot of people probably won't last long enough for the fight to become exciting. If a game of mage wars in this format were a bar fight, each combatant would spend most of the fight drinking and glaring at each other, then one of them throws just ONE punch, and by then both of them are too drunk to continue the fight. This might be somewhat fun for the participants, but the onlookers will be bored. You might as well not be playing mage wars in the first place and just drink--you wouldn't need an excuse.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Satenus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Former Mordok's Apprentice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:26:35 AM »
Sometimes the drinking and gaming thing is a way of create memories, maybe not the best ones, but sometines the funnier... I would definitive give it a try with some friends.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
The master always said that duels must be decided by the skill of the mage, not the number of his minions... he didn't know what he was talking about!
It requires great skill to summon and control an army of creatures, and great is, also, the reward!

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »
Well I've heard that drinking may also be used to delete memories :'D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Satenus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Former Mordok's Apprentice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 12:15:04 PM »
Well I've heard that drinking may also be used to delete memories :'D

Well sometimes I drink to forget, and then while drunk I can't remember what I wanted to forget... so that works  ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
The master always said that duels must be decided by the skill of the mage, not the number of his minions... he didn't know what he was talking about!
It requires great skill to summon and control an army of creatures, and great is, also, the reward!