May 01, 2024, 05:36:18 PM

Author Topic: Rise Again - Better for Warlock?  (Read 3781 times)

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Rise Again - Better for Warlock?
« on: November 30, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
The first time I saw Rise Again I thought the card was perfect for the Necromancer. And then I saw that it had to target living creatures. My heart sank. All of the Necromancer's creatures are nonliving! Why would they include Rise Again with the Necromancer? The only reason I could think of was to revive living creatures that were converted via Ziggurat or Animate Dead. But then I noticed Rise Again wasn't Necromancer only... it was Dark Mage only. If anything, it seems like Rise Again is more useful for a Warlock using non-zombie, non-skeleton creatures. So Rise Again seems like a worthless card for a Necromancer but an excellent card for a Warlock using living creatures. Is there something with the Necromancer I am missing or am I correct about this?
"See you space cowboy..."

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Rise Again - Better for Warlock?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 06:04:46 PM »
You can use Rise Again on your opponents creatures. That way their death means not only your opponent loses a creature, but you gain one. Double win.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
You can use Rise Again on your opponents creatures. That way their death means not only your opponent loses a creature, but you gain one. Double win.

Wait... if you use Rise Again on an enemy creature it comes back under your control? It never said this outright... so I wasn't sure. I figured that would be way too OP.
"See you space cowboy..."

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:13:08 PM »
You can indeed. The FAQ says, "unless it says otherwise, normally the Mage who controls the effect which grants Reanimation is the object summoning the creature into play."

Then in the Codex under Controller it says, "Each spell or object in the game is controlled by the player who cast it."

Therefore, the creature does come back under your control.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
The Warlock can use Curseweaving with Rise Again, letting that mage reuse the spell multiple times. He's also a bit better set up than the Necromancer to use Sectarus to attack an enemy, so there is that.

On the other hand, the Necromancer has higher channeling, so that mage can more easily afford to pay the reanimation cost.

Overall I think the Warlock can get more use out of it, but it isn't as if the Necromancer is bad with it.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 06:31:38 PM »
Its good for either, really it comes down to which package you like better-

Rise Again-
Costs 2 mana more than Animate Dead (because of the facedown cost)
Can be dispelled before it gets used
Must be used at the time of Death
Can be prevented via Nullify/Jinx
Cannot receive mana discount from Ring of Curses or Death Ring (though it can from Enchanters Ring if played on a friendly creature)
Is a quick cast

Animate Dead-
Can be used anytime after death of creature
Is a full action
Cannot be countered (since there is no way to protect a card in your discard pile and Jinx only stops Quick Spells)
Will get a 1 mana discount from Ring of Death
Can be bound to a Mage Wand for reuse

So they have a few different factors. 

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
A fun use for Reanimate (or Animate Dead) for the Necromancer is to play it on an Acolyte of the Bog Queen.  You can use the Acolyte to power up an Altar of Skulls, and when the poison damage from the Altar (or damage from an enemy) gets her, bring her back as a Zombie and put her back to work reconstructing it.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer