April 23, 2024, 07:36:40 AM

Author Topic: First Impressions / Observations for DvN  (Read 9694 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions / Observations for DvN
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
Even using tataree the pods are not using in my opinion since  they cannot cast off the vines.
I have been playing the Necro, so forgive my lack of understanding. All objects (other than the staff) that have the Vine Subtype also have the Plant Subtype, therefore you can cast them. Now I understand that you can not cast from the Seedling Pod to another Vine Marker else where on the board, is that the downer?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
My issue with the pods is that they take 3 turns to use which is an eternity in this game (theoretically 1-2 turns if you use tataree). Then you have to hope that you can cast something useful there. Several times I've cast a seedling pod and had the battle move away from that site meaning I can't put that creature or conjuration down exactly where I'd like.

So I stick with the vine tree as it is just more versatile and easy to use.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 01:50:50 PM »
It stuck me as slow when I first saw it, it does seem to me that with a Tataree if you cast one each round that after (along with the Cantrip trait) three rounds you could have a steady stream of mobile spawn points, but I guess more to the point is the fact that most of the spells we are talking about have the Vine subtype and it is just quicker to use the vine tree and a Harmonize to pop out these spells...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »
im testing druid vs all mages, and the new warlock, i believe that the druid need something:

-A creature plant of level 1
-A resilent wall, because a fire mage run first turn and destroy your tree and end game. xd
-Seeding post are very slow, don´t work very well many times, maybe an especific spell that gives their +1 channeling, because the former problem it´s that you need 3 mana on seeding post to cast a spell.

Hey Isel!!  Sorry I burned your tree :P.  It did survive, though you had to transfer some damage to your Druid.

Not sure if you play exclusively online or IRL too, but either way, Conquest of Kumanjaro offers 3 different creatures with Intercept (blocks ranged attacks while on guard!), which is probably the option you're looking for to defend your Treebond-ed tree. 

All the currently released Intercept creatures are really good and cheap to cast considering how difficult they are to destroy, so you (and probably most Druid players) should include one of them in books.  They're all Living too, so they have synergy with the rest of the Druid cards.   

More OT...

With the release of Acid Ball and Meditation Amulet into the card pool, I think Spawnpoints could become much stronger.  In the past, I largely stayed away from them except Battleforge, because of the intense mana cost and the fact that small creatures quickly became obsolete when armor came into play.  However, Corrode and the ability to ramp mana with Amulet appear to solve those exact problems.  Is this the case?  I'd like to hear what the playtesters, or just anyone with some solid experience, think about the viability of spawnpoints with DvN added into the mix.

I've just got back into MW, so I don't have much experience trying out the new stuff, but from the few games I've played everything seems really strong and useful but not overpowering.  Also, the Obscure trait is something I've been wanting since the core set, and it's cool to see it here.

Good job AW! 
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock