May 01, 2024, 07:22:38 PM

Author Topic: Bear Strength + Doublestrike  (Read 4240 times)

xFWx_FIREBIRD

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Bear Strength + Doublestrike
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:14:51 AM »
I know this topic has been covered multiple times, and is explained decently in FAQs etc, but I'm confused.

I and my friends took a short break from Mage Wars (school work and such), and when we came back to it we couldn't remember how it worked!!! I'm also overthinking it, so I'm just going to try and get a definitive answer because I'm tired of reading too much into stuff.

Bear Strength Awards Melee+2, but rules also indicate that this bonus only applies to the first attack in a turn.

Questions:
1) Are "attacks" and "strikes" different? Would Bear Strength award "Doublestrike" the bonus for "both strikes", or is this considered "two attacks".

2) If the above is true, what about other stuff like Incantations awarding Piercing+1 to multiple strikes etc.

3) If number 1 isn't true, what if someone with double/triplestrike is standing in the Archer's Watchtower? Does this mean that Ranged+1 only applies to the first strike (that it can be applied)? The answer seems obvious at first, but it states "only for the first attack, but the creature is only making one attack with "multiple strikes" (Ranged+X from the codex states: if making multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus). I'm also assuming that the indirect trait gets applied to every strike for that creature's attack.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:23:25 AM by xFWx_FIREBIRD »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bear Strength + Doublestrike
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:49:09 AM »
You answered your own question  ???

The only way to gain the bonus again would be to grant another attack action. Mutli attacks like double and triple strike are still the same action

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:51:08 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
Read the definition of Doublestrike in the codex. It is just that attack allow you to make a second attack in the additional attack step. So no bonus dices for second attack.

For piercing and others (like Indirect), unless stated otherwise (like Perfect Strike says "for next melee attack"), it applies to all attacks.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »
1) Doublestrike and Triplestrike are simply traits. These traits allow you to make additional attacks against the same target during "Step 5: Additional Strikes" of Combat. You never make a "strike" against anything. (Doublestrike and Triplestrike may be found in the Codex. Step 5 of Combat may be found on page 25 of Rulebook v2.0)

2) Traits are assumed to apply to all attacks unless specifically stated otherwise. Therefore Piercing +X will apply to each of your attacks made with your Doublestrike, but Melee +X or Ranged +X will not.

3) Like Piercing, the Indirect trait does not specify limitations, therefore it is assumed to apply to all attacks.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:06 PM »
1) Doublestrike and Triplestrike are simply traits. These traits allow you to make additional attacks against the same target during "Step 5: Additional Strikes" of Combat. You never make a "strike" against anything. (Doublestrike and Triplestrike may be found in the Codex. Step 5 of Combat may be found on page 25 of Rulebook v2.0)

2) Traits are assumed to apply to all attacks unless specifically stated otherwise. Therefore Piercing +X will apply to each of your attacks made with your Doublestrike, but Melee +X or Ranged +X will not.

3) Like Piercing, the Indirect trait does not specify limitations, therefore it is assumed to apply to all attacks.

TY for full post bit bust at work
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

xFWx_FIREBIRD

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »
Thanks guys. Good to have the refresher!