April 30, 2024, 06:10:18 AM

Author Topic: Do Mage Abilities Stack?  (Read 3346 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Do Mage Abilities Stack?
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:27:45 AM »
I debated which forum this should go in, here or alternative play, but I decided here was most appropriate because I want an official answer and not a house rule or a variant. If I made a mistake, I apologize.

So, my question would primarily come up in Team games. I'm having a hard time thinking of another situation in which it might arise. But, if you are on a team where both people are playing the same mage, can you stack the same ability twice on the same object?

For Example: You have two Beastmasters on a team (both of them the original Straywood Beastmaster). Could they both make the same creature their Pet? The rules say "The Pet marker can be assigned to any new friendly animal when it comes into play, regardless as to how it was summoned." So it is very clear that they would be allowed to make a animal summoned by their teammate into a Pet. However, what happens if they both want to make it into a Pet?

Enchantments, Equipment, and Conjurations do not stack. Conditions, however, do stack. What about Mage Abilities?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Do Mage Abilities Stack?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
I believe I know how Bryan would answer this. However, as you want something official and not my conjecture I will ask Bryan about it. Now this will probably be a few days. I've had a couple questions for him, but Arcane Wonders has been pretty busy over the last week and he hasn't had much time.

Part of me is thinking of doing an Ask Aaron thing, and I'll just find the answers to all of those issues, asking Bryan if necessary. Right now, I'm trying to find a concrete answer on the Mind Control question as well. That's another one where I think I know how it should rule, but as people want something official, I need to have Bryan's answer.

Long story short, I'm looking this up for you sir.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
I spoke to Bryan just a second ago, No these would not stack. In a team game like that there is a small difference between friendly creatures, which they all are, and creature control. In the end It needs to be your creature to be your pet. Bryan is finishing up the new faq, and I will get this added to that. He told me we should see it this week sometime.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »
Thank you for clearing this up for me as well, Laddinfance. You rock.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 12:46:24 PM »
I try. There is so much going on inside this small company that I like to fix things whenever I can. It's what I do.