April 28, 2024, 06:55:45 AM

Author Topic: Vampiric? Dmg caused vs Dmg received  (Read 2444 times)

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Vampiric? Dmg caused vs Dmg received
« on: September 14, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
When determining the heal amount gained after a successful Vampiric attack is there any difference between the Damage Dealt vs the Damage Received?  Basically I'm asking if the enemy loses NO life do you gain life?  Or do you only gain life based on the amount of life you took?

The rule book says "When this attack "causes damage" to a Living creature, the attacker heals up to half the "damaged caused" (round up).

So what is damage caused?  Is it damage from the attack regardless if it is absorbed by armor or negated by effects or is the damage caused to the enemy (ie wound counters placed or damage taken by mage).

Q1. Does armor that "absorbs" damage still count as damage or is it only damage that is actually done to the enemy that counts for how much you heal?  Like if you do damage but inflict NO damage counters or damage to the mage at all (they lose no life) do you still get to heal?

Q1. Example.  Necro Vamp attacks rolls 3 regular damage, enemy has 3 armor so the enemy loses no life at all, does the Necro Vamp heal 4 or heal 0 since she didn't inflict any damage on the enemy.

Q2. When something says you "cancel up to X amount of damage" when you "cancel" damage does that treat it as if it was canceled and doesn't exist or does it treat it as absorbed.  I am not sure what cancel meant exactly.

Q2. Example.  Necro Vamp attacks rolls 3 regular damage against enemy Wizard with Voltaric Shield active.  Voltaric Shield "cancels up to 3 points of damage".  Since the Necro Vamp didn't get through the shield does Necro Vamp heal 4 or 0 since she didn't inflict any damage on the Wizard.

Based on the above that would answer this question.

Bonus Question:

Necro Vamp deals 5 regular damage (no crits) to an enemy with 3 armor so she only take 2 points of life (inflicts 2 would counters) on enemy.  Does Necro Vamp heal 3 or 1?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:25:25 PM by Stormmaster »

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: Vampiric? Dmg caused vs Dmg received
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:35:55 PM »
The vampiric trait (and subtype) heal for half the damage caused. Excess damage does not count for healing.

Pg 44 rulebook V2

Necro Vamp deals 5 regular damage (no crits) to an enemy with 3 armor so she only take 2 points of life (inflicts 2 would counters) on enemy.  Does Necro Vamp heal 3 or 1?

She heals 1. Only 2 damage was caused / dealt as 3 was absorbed / canceled.

Cancel (pg 40 rulebook v2)
If a spell, attack, or effect is canceled, it stops and has no further effect.

To go further into armor:

Armor literally subtracts from the die roll when it is rolled not after. So lets look at your example again:

"Necro Vamp deals 5 regular damage (no crits) to an enemy with 3 armor so she only take 2 points of life (inflicts 2 would counters) on enemy.  Does Necro Vamp heal 3 or 1?"

The vamp rolls 5 - 3 armor for a total of 2 damage vampiric damage. She only caused 2, she never "causes" 5 because armor is factored into the roll and not compared to the roll.

I will add in the rulebook quote here

(Pg 25)

"First, add up the value of all critical hits showing on the attack dice. This damage ignores armor, so it is applied directly to the target. Then, add up the value of all normal hits showing and subtract the target's armor from this total. If the result is more than zero, that target also suffers that much damage."

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:49:54 PM by Kharhaz »

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »
Thanks!  I think we were playing it based on the dice rolled.  Like if she rolled 4 damage she would heal 2.  I see that was wrong.  Would be 4-armor=X/2. 

I will treat Voltaric Shield like armor than as well.

Got it.  Thanks so much!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
The vampiric trait (and subtype) heal for half the damage caused. Excess damage does not count for healing.

Pg 44 rulebook V2

She heals 1. Only 2 damage was caused / dealt as 3 was absorbed / canceled.

Cancel (pg 40 rulebook v2)
If a spell, attack, or effect is canceled, it stops and has no further effect.

To go further into armor:

Armor literally subtracts from the die roll when it is rolled not after. So lets look at your example again:

"Necro Vamp deals 5 regular damage (no crits) to an enemy with 3 armor so she only take 2 points of life (inflicts 2 would counters) on enemy.  Does Necro Vamp heal 3 or 1?"

The vamp rolls 5 - 3 armor for a total of 2 damage vampiric damage. She only caused 2, she never "causes" 5 because armor is factored into the roll and not compared to the roll.

I will add in the rulebook quote here

(Pg 25)

"First, add up the value of all critical hits showing on the attack dice. This damage ignores armor, so it is applied directly to the target. Then, add up the value of all normal hits showing and subtract the target's armor from this total. If the result is more than zero, that target also suffers that much damage."

you got my first phone sticker congrats. I am on my on call phone
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:26:59 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage