March 29, 2024, 08:17:51 AM

Author Topic: Fun Questions  (Read 7031 times)

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Fun Questions
« on: September 06, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
So i got Mage Wars and after reading all the stuff and having a real look at the cards i totally fell in love with the game. Being the person i am some courious questions and thoughts came across my neoliberal-european mind and thus i present them more for fun, but feel free to discuss seriously (If there are hints in the lore :D) or add more ones!

Otherwise delete it or move to offtopic....

1. Is the Beastmaster vegetarian/vegan?

2. Most clerical women don't dress like the priestess! Maybe the temple of Asyra will be a good spot of bringing faith to an atheist like me

3. Why the heck is every mage so great about fighting to death in the arena?! (I saw this discussed in this forum and i stumbled across this moral question too)

4. Even if those battles took place the Warlord/Warlock somehow does not seem to be the guy for fair rules...civil rights, prevention of death to millions of farmers, villagers, elves and dwarves.
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
1. I kind of doubt that the beastmaster is a vegetarian. Herbivores are bottom of the food chain, and the beastmaster's playstyle is rather aggressive.

2. What do you mean, most clerical women? I doubt all religions condemn their priestesses for wearing clothing more fit to be worn in a desert. She probably is able to dress that way for a reason:

Priestesses are healers, and so is Asyra, their goddess. I can imagine that they place a lot of value on the body, and that they don't try to "hide" their bodies. They probably only use clothing for the purposes of ceremony, weather, and expression. The reason that the male priest doesn't wear clothing like the priestess does is probably because he's a priest of Malakai, rather than directly serving Asyra. While Asyra is a deity of healing, Malakai is a deity oriented more towards attacking. The clothing of a Malakai priest would be less revealing and less form-fitting, and therefore having less emphasis on the body.

Or that's what I'm guessing, anyway.

3. It's not that they don't use magic in wars at all, it's that magic use in conflict is restricted. I'm assuming that the members of the Dawnlight Compact have enough military power and magical might to threaten other nations into conforming to the Mage Wars institution. If anyone were to go against it and use too much magic in a battle, I can imagine it would be like if a country in the real world threw a nuclear bomb. Suddenly everyone would be using the bombs, and it would be a nuclear war.

4. They're not. But if they decided to ignore the Mage Wars institution, they'd be facing the combined magical might of Sortilege, Westlocke and Straywood. The Mage Wars are useful to warlocks for scouting their enemies, so that they can better prepare for if and when they break away from the Mage Wars institution and wage war on the world. At least, that's what it sounded like to me.

http://magewars.com/jsite/detailed-overview/world-of-etheria
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 11:14:04 AM »
I am impressed and amused by the answers! As for the Beastmaster I agree (the setting is not an post industrial age where humans have the choice of nutritions and are even forced to eat meat) but the Priestess - just because she heals the body does not mean she has to show her own :D

Nevertheless, thanks for your post :) - now i read stuff about the history of etheria, nice!
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 02:33:47 AM »
Nudity is a fairly structured religious outcome, i.e. judeo christian, muslim etc.  Mostly its about men wanting to hide what they see as their private property.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »
@Moonglow

I agree with you for the most part, but I don't think that has anything to do with the attire of the Asyran priestess, and I really want to avoid having this thread turn into an argument about religion. If anyone wants that, I'd be more than happy to start another thread! :P
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
@Moonglow

I agree with you for the most part, but I don't think that has anything to do with the attire of the Asyran priestess, and I really want to avoid having this thread turn into an argument about religion. If anyone wants that, I'd be more than happy to start another thread! :P

In lore or off topic of course?  ::)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 02:22:45 PM »
Nudity is a fairly structured religious outcome, i.e. judeo christian, muslim etc.  Mostly its about men wanting to hide what they see as their private property.

Agreed, any religion that has empowered female servants such as the Priestess is likely to have gender equality or matriarchy as part of its cultural basis. Given that I don't see how the Priestess revealing her body is surprising.

2. Most clerical women don't dress like the priestess! Maybe the temple of Asyra will be a good spot of bringing faith to an atheist like me

That's really just the card art, the first time she casts an armor equipment spell she has covered up (unless you think she is getting fantasy bikini armor). Whatever floats your boat I guess.