June 22, 2024, 10:14:42 PM

Author Topic: DVN Preview #2 - Zombie Minion  (Read 6081 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: DVN Preview #2 - Zombie Minion
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:05 PM »
Can't wait to get my hands on this set!
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
Wow that resilient trait is going to make things tough. Even the an Angels +2 vs non-Living will not make much more of a dent.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:57:13 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55:39 PM »
RELEEEEEEEAAAASE!!!!!!!!

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
Awesome nice stuff!  Getting me more excited.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 03:25:23 PM »
Resilient is effectively infinite armor... piercing doesn't even help. Though Akiro's Favor could.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
Contrary to the spoiler, there is indeed a trait that gets around Resilient: Critical. Are there any non-psychic attacks with the critical trait? Psylock has critical, but the zombie is psychic immune. I'm sure I'm forgetting one. It's a rare ability, to be sure. I wonder if we'll get a war command incantation "head shot" that gives critical.

14 effective health is pretty good for 7 mana. Interesting that there's no point in giving it armor, not that there's a lot of ways you could.

Killing it with fire looks likely to take 3 rounds, maybe. A burn token is good for about 3 damage (less if you're in a hurry) and they need time to work. That's enough to let it attack at least twice, so it'll probably be able to trigger its own Bloodthirsty, which is pretty good damage from a 7 mana creature, too. Focusing attacks on it reduces the time to kill it, but does let it act as a tar pit. It's got pest, so it's not a good defender otherwise, so it may be hard in practice to get your opponent to try to kill it.

Sadly for the Warlock, ghoul Rot only works on living creature's. Interesting 

I think Zombie Minion competitive value is going to depend a lot on the quality of the Necromancer's spawnpoints. Spending a full action to summon this guy seems like the biggest cost to playing the card. Lumbering means that positioning the Spawnpoint well will be critical, and it's going to be hard to defend with the Zombies, again, because they're pests.

Still, non-living and psychic immune dodges a lot of control effects. Whirling Spirit is pretty okay here, but Gorgon Archer or Basilisk isn't that helpful. A lot to think about here.

I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
Contrary to the spoiler, there is indeed a trait that gets around Resilient: Critical. Are there any non-psychic attacks with the critical trait? Psylock has critical, but the zombie is psychic immune. I'm sure I'm forgetting one. It's a rare ability, to be sure. I wonder if we'll get a war command incantation "head shot" that gives critical.

Still, non-living and psychic immune dodges a lot of control effects. Whirling Spirit is pretty okay here, but Gorgon Archer or Basilisk isn't that helpful. A lot to think about here.

Demonhide Armor's damage barrier is Critical damage, but its limited to Dark Mages.

Corrode is a solid tool against resilient, as the ability "replaces" armor giving it a 0 rating..so its almost always going to have the direct damage applied.  Burns work on them, and Chains of Agony will deal direct damage while they move.  Force Crush deals direct damage past resilient too.  Another consideration is Light Damage, while the +2 doesnt guarentee more crits it does add +2 to attempts to daze/stun him which makes Pillar of Light and Blinding Flashes very reliable.. and makes the Daze+Burn melee attacks from the Priest with Staff of Asyra great for zombie-busting.

Cripple doesnt work on them, but Stuck does.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 04:44:34 PM by baronzaltor »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »

14 effective health is pretty good for 7 mana. Interesting that there's no point in giving it armor, not that there's a lot of ways you could.

Killing it with fire looks likely to take 3 rounds, maybe. A burn token is good for about 3 damage (less if you're in a hurry) and they need time to work. That's enough to let it attack at least twice, so it'll probably be able to trigger its own Bloodthirsty, which is pretty good damage from a 7 mana creature, too. Focusing attacks on it reduces the time to kill it, but does let it act as a tar pit. It's got pest, so it's not a good defender otherwise, so it may be hard in practice to get your opponent to try to kill it.

Sadly for the Warlock, ghoul Rot only works on living creature's. Interesting 

I think Zombie Minion competitive value is going to depend a lot on the quality of the Necromancer's spawnpoints. Spending a full action to summon this guy seems like the biggest cost to playing the card. Lumbering means that positioning the Spawnpoint well will be critical, and it's going to be hard to defend with the Zombies, again, because they're pests.

Creatures with Critical strikes are Psylock, Screech Harpy, and (Promo) Oscuda. Only the Demonhide Armors damage barrier does Critical Damage. So, there are very few things out there that cause this kind of damage. The irony to all of this, is that most Direct Damage spells are from the Dark School. One point that hasn't been touched on, is that since it is a level 2 creature, only four are in allowed in the book.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:16:36 AM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 11:17:46 PM »
True you can only include four of him, but there are more Zombies than just him.  There is quite a depth of creature options in this set.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:59:43 AM »
Show us some nature spells please

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:00:53 AM »
sIKE makes a good point about direct damage spells: Drain Life may be the most tactically efficient way to kill Zombie Minion (though I'm not sure it really makes strategic sense to do it that way).

Zombie Minion, or perhaps a stronger zombie, might make a good answer to Wizard's Tower: it seems wasteful to spend lots of mana smacking Zombies when they're so cheep and damage resistant. A shame they rely on Bloodthirsty to get their damage up.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
sIKE makes a good point about direct damage spells: Drain Life may be the most tactically efficient way to kill Zombie Minion (though I'm not sure it really makes strategic sense to do it that way).

Zombie Minion, or perhaps a stronger zombie, might make a good answer to Wizard's Tower: it seems wasteful to spend lots of mana smacking Zombies when they're so cheep and damage resistant. A shame they rely on Bloodthirsty to get their damage up.

You can't target the Zombie with Drain Life because it is unliving.  It is also going to be immune to lots of the direct damage effects such as Oscuda, Plagued (the new promo from Gencon), Malacoda, Idol of Pestilence, etc. 

As the article on the Zombie states, Burn and Corrode will be the best way to deal with them.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »
What about tainted?  Can you toss tainted conditions on them for the -3 life?
Like from the spider or from Drain Soul.  I know Drain Life wouldn't work, but would Drain Soul?

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
What about tainted?  Can you toss tainted conditions on them for the -3 life?
Like from the spider or from Drain Soul.  I know Drain Life wouldn't work, but would Drain Soul?

No, Drain Soul only targets living creatures too.  They are also immune to Tainted because it is a Poison condition and Nonliving creatures are unaffected by Poison effects.