April 29, 2024, 09:16:27 AM

Author Topic: DvN rules questions  (Read 276652 times)

RedDevilPsycho

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: DvN rules questions
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
As ever, thanks guys, I'm a real noob so it is much appreciated. Still not sure how best to beat the warlock but this should help.

flamespeak

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2014, 12:43:41 AM »
Got a question about the Altar of Skulls. Me and a buddy did a necro and druid run the other day and made up our rules to fill in the gaps on the fly for what we thought made the most sense, but an official ruling would be appreciated.

When the altar of skulls is activated, does the 2 direct poison damage to all living creatures on the board affect his plants that are conjurations and have life totals? Does it affect his vines?

We decided that it did because poison effects all living thing including plants and it was a way to effectively clear the board of his vines and plants. Not quickly at all mind you, but it did turn the tide greatly toward the end of the game. We decided any living thing with life total that was living would be affected by the poison markers be they conjurations or creatures, however, anything without a life total or non-living would not be affected. For example, his trees would get smacked by poison damage, however, a warlords barracks and towers wouldn't.

You know, keeping with the whole smiting of living things theme.

It would be nice to get an official stance on this if I ever do any kind of tournament play, but we will probably keep the local rules the same because it made the most sense thematically.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2014, 01:09:43 AM »
The Altar of Skulls only effects living creatures. Vines, flowers, etc are Conjurations and are thus immune.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #168 on: April 06, 2014, 09:52:59 AM »
The Altar of Skulls only effects living creatures. Vines, flowers, etc are Conjurations and are thus immune.

Agreed.

The key is to read the target information for spells and effects very carefully and this almost always clarifies who is effected.

Note - I consider "...only effects..." to be equivalent to "...targets..." for this message. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 06, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
You are actually correct that living conjurations are vulnerable to poison effects. They can suffer from rot and other forms of poison damage. However, the [mwcard=DNJ01]Altar of Skulls[/mwcard] specifically says that it only affects creatures. Conjurations and vines obviously are not creatures.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »
Potato / Potatoe

Net net it doesn't regenerate, its the same to me if you said it has the flying trait, but can't fly.

Having the ability and not being able to gain is different then not having it at all. The trigger tries to resolve each upkeep do it can not. This is important because if you had a way to turn off Finite Life it would still be able to regenerate.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
You are actually correct that living conjurations are vulnerable to poison effects. They can suffer from rot and other forms of poison damage. However, the [mwcard=DNJ01]Altar of Skulls[/mwcard] specifically says that it only affects creatures. Conjurations and vines obviously are not creatures.

Always read the effect and target info [mwcard=DNJ01]Altar of Skulls[/mwcard] specifically says that it only affects creatures. The vines are not creatures they are Conjurations.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Mika

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2014, 04:20:23 AM »
Hi all!

I need another example to understad how the "Corrode Removing mechanism" works:

Quote from: Arcane Wonders
Example: "A Druid has 2 Corrode markers on her, and a Bearskin. Her current armor value is 0. If she would receive another Corrode condition, she instead receives 1 direct acid damage. She decides to cast Wind Wyvern Hide (which has the same location as Bearskin, and thus will replace it.) When the Bearskin is removed, the Druid has zero armor and thus both Corrode markers are destroyed. Then, the Wind Wyvern Hide comes into play, and the Druid now has an armor value of 2."

Ok, now lets check this other situation:

Example: "A Druid has 3 Corrode markers on her, and  Bearskin, Leather Boots and Leather Gloves (Armor 4). Her current armor value is 1... She decides to cast a 2nd Bearskin (which has the same location, and thus will replace it.) When the Bearskin is removed, the Druid has Armor 2 and..."

- What happens with 3 Corrode markers? All them are destroyed? Only 1 in order to have Armo value equal to zero?

Thanks in advance.   :)
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2014, 08:48:52 AM »
Ok, now lets check this other situation:

Example: "A Druid has 3 Corrode markers on her, and  Bearskin, Leather Boots and Leather Gloves (Armor 4). Her current armor value is 1... She decides to cast a 2nd Bearskin (which has the same location, and thus will replace it.) When the Bearskin is removed, the Druid has Armor 2 and..."

- What happens with 3 Corrode markers? All them are destroyed? Only 1 in order to have Armo value equal to zero?

When the 2nd Bearskin is cast the Mage drops down to two Armor then one of the Corrode markers is removed.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Mika

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
Understood. Better a pair of "Wand of Healing" in our Book...

Very kind of you, sIKE  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:25:56 PM by Mika »
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2014, 12:30:13 PM »
Understand. Better a pair of "Wand of Healing" in our Book...

Very kind of you, sIKE  :)
No problem, I have adopted to this Corrode environment by carrying a 2 count of 2 Armor equipment and a Brace Yourself. This way if I get Corroded I can swap out with the other piece and then when a high damage roll (mainly non-critical of course) is mage against me, I will reveal the enchantment before the Apply Damage step of the Attack Sequence.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2014, 12:15:07 AM »
Nice work Sike I gave you a sticker for the answer.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 14, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
Can the Vine Tree cast the Vine Markers?  I interpreted the wording meaning that the Vine Tree cannot cast them.  The FAQ doesn't have a Vine Tree section so I'm asking you guys.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 14, 2014, 07:30:53 PM »
Vine Tree is a tree spawnpoint and so it can use the vine markers when it's casting a vine spell.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2014, 07:34:27 PM »
Vine Tree is a tree spawnpoint and so it can use the vine markers when it's casting a vine spell.

I meant more like, can the Vine Tree itself actually place vine markers and using its own mana?
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock