April 28, 2024, 06:20:59 AM

Author Topic: Divine Vampire Spell Book  (Read 10774 times)

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Divine Vampire Spell Book
« on: August 31, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »
I thought I would give this Divine Intervention + Necropian Vampiress strategy I've seen a try, but need some advice on how that opening works.  I am usually a pretty slow player (build up mana, spawn points, defenses) before I attack, so attacking early seems a foreign concept to me, but figure try everything once in life, ha.

Question 1:  How does the opening work?  I put a sample of how I "think" it might work, but since I'm pretty new I'm not sure if this is not smart or if there is a better way for it.

Question 2:  I included my deck list for this Divine Vampire Priestess build.  Feel free to pick it apart and offer any cards you would advise I add/remove.  I am still pretty new (only played 8 games so far total) so kind of a newbie so any advice is much appreciated.

Q1 possible strat:
Turn 1:
20 mana available
16 Necropian Vampiress
02 Divine Intervention (face down) on NV
02 mana left

Turn 2:
12 mana available
02 Bear Strength (face down) on NV
10 Divine Intervention (reveal & port NV to opposing mage)
Attack Mage with Vampire
00 mana left

Turn 3:
10 mana available
03 Bear Strength (reveal Bear Strength & Attack Mage w Vampire) - if she isn't already dealt with somehow
07 mana left to cast if needed

Deck List:  Sorry it isn't broken down by category, I can do that if you need me to.  The deck builders I've seen that do that don't seem to have all the cards listed.  If there is a better deck builder to output to .txt file please advise.  This one was created via deck builder @ --> http://www.gameknight.org/MageWars/

Priestess
4Asyran Cleric4
2Bear Strength4
1Cobra Reflexes4
1Crown of Protection1
1Deflection Bracers2
2Dispel4
2Dissolve4
1Divine Intervention3
1Divine Protection1
1Gray Angel3
2Guardian Angel6
1Highland Unicorn3
1Ivarium Longbow4
1Lay Hands3
1Leather Boots1
1Mage Wand4
1Mana Flower2
1Minor Heal1
1Necropian Vampiress12
2Nullify4
1Regrowth2
1Renewing Spring3
1Resurrection4
1Reverse Magic4
2Rhino Hide4
2Royal Archer6
1Samandriel, Angel of Light5
1Selesius, the East Wind5
1Storm Drake Hide2
1Sunfire Amulet3
1Teleport4
1Temple of Asyra3
1Valshalla, Lightning Angel5
43 spells, 120 spell points
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:30:14 PM by Stormmaster »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Divine Vampire Spell Book
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 03:29:52 PM »
That is approximately how I would expect a Divine Intervention Necropian Vampiress opening to go.

Your gameplan after getting the Vampiress in your opponents face seems odd. Are you planning on playing Temple of Asyra and starting to spam creatures?

I would opt for supporting the Vampiress more, and take out Temple of Asyra, 4 Asyrian Clerics, Valshalla, Selesius, Highland Unicorn, a Guardian Angel, a Royal Archer and Gray Angel at a minimum. I would also add a Knight of Westlock or 2 as a possible followup to the Vampiress, as they're so efficient. That leaves you with Samandriel as an alternative big, and a few creature options for follow up. It also leaves you the option for a slower opening where you get a Vampiress and a Knight of Westlock before pushing.

Then with all of those points you saved, you can add enchantment buffs, another Dispel, another Teleport, Tanglevine and Mongoose Agility for bypassing guards, maybe a few attack spells to finish things off...
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »
Slight problem with using Priest... he only channels 9.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »
Just forgo the extra bear strength on nv

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »
I'm not using the Priest, I'm using the Priestess.  She gets 10 channeling instead of his 9.

As mentioned I generally do go the slow route, hence the clerics and temple so I usually set them to pray so regen 3-4 extra mana per round and then just keep summoning stuff.  But I'll give the more aggressive approach a try and drop the temple and the clerics and go with your suggestion of the knights.  lol I guess it does seem a little odd to go fast and toss a vampire in his face on turn 2 then turtle in the corner.  As mentioned I'm new so working on balance of offense/defense tactics.  Thanks for the advice.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 10:43:20 PM »
Temple of Asyra can only be pumped by two clerics at a time.

As well, you state in the OP that you are using the priest, that is only reason I said as much.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »
It's a neat idea, but it works best as a surprise to a player who is preparing for something else. If they play 2 mana crystals then surprise Vampire is probably a good play. But if instead they play a Mana Crystal and an Iron Golem, and have mana for a second Golem the next turn, that Vamp is gonna be slaughtered.

You need a good base plan, and then the threat of teleport agro keeps your opponent honest.

I haven't played this book, but it was recently pointed out to me that the Staff of Asyra does 6 dice to Iron Golems. Maybe something to keep in mind.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »
That's one of the reasons I suggested including a Knight of Westlock or 2. If your opponent plays Mana Crsytals or something else that doesn't threaten the Vampiress, you can Divine Intervention and beat face turn 2. If your opponent rushes you or plays a strong defensive creature turn 1, you can go a slower route with Knights of Westlock to support your Vampiress.

Samandriel, Temple of Light, and Staff of Asyra can all deal with Iron Golems pretty efficiently, so Iron Golems in particular shouldn't be that big of a problem for a Priestess.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:35:09 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice!  I made a couple tweaks based on what you suggested sdougla2 and it worked great.

It felt weird having no temples no clerics etc etc, but never needed them.
Although I never needed the Knights of Westlock I added either (but that was OK, good back up just in case).

I put the vampire in their face on turn 2
turn 2 did 5 dice damage to mage
they hurled a boulder at her and got a spectacular roll and almost killed her in 1 hit
turn 3 did 7 dice damage to mage w vampire (she used vampiric to partially heal)
by this time I went in range to support her, gave her a quick heal, put a reverse attack on her, let her do the heavy lifting and since I was now in range of the enemy mage and they were focused on the vampire killing them (and ignoring me) I tossed 3 pillar of lights in a row, daze/stun/dead

All in all the entire game was done in under 10 rounds, I never took 1 point of damage, and never put on a single piece of armor or equip.  So just wanted to say thanks for the advice was a nice success.  :D

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »