April 28, 2024, 07:27:13 AM

Author Topic: Multiple Damage Shields  (Read 3013 times)

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Multiple Damage Shields
« on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »
If a creature has more than one damage barriers on does the defender choose which one attacks back when they get attacked?  Can you have more than one damage barrier on?  Is that even allowed.

I just had a fight where my opponent played the Warlock and was using the Demonhide Armor for the (Armor +2) trait but also had a Circle of Fire on for the damage barrier.  Is that allowed to have armor in your chest slot with a damage barrier and an enchantment damage barrier or does he have to pick one or the other? 

So would it be he could have the Circle of Fire but not be able to use Demonhide Armor,
or he can use Demonhide Armor but no Circle of Fire.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Damage Shields
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:33 PM »
Page 27 of the rulebook under damage barriers. A creature can only have one damage barrier at a time. May not gain another one if one is in place.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:57:33 PM »
Excellent.  I thought that was the case!  So my friend cheated...I knew it!   >:(

I will tell him he can't use armor from demonhide and damage shield from circle of fire.  Thanks!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »
Page 27 of the rulebook under damage barriers. A creature can only have one damage barrier at a time. May not gain another one if one is in place.

Doma gets this one
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Alex319

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
This will be clarified in the next rules update. The clarification that will be made is as follows:

- The term "damage barrier" in these rules refers to the effect itself, not to the card providing the effect. (This is necessary, because future effects may give Damage Barriers without the Damage Barrier being tied to a particular card.) Thus the Circle of Fire, for instance is not a damage barrier itself; it is an enchantment that provides a damage barrier.

- As always, if multiple continuous effects affect the same object, they are applied in timestamp order. (Thus, since you can only have one Damage Barrier, the first effect providing a Damage Barrier will function, then the next effect providing a Damage Barrier will fail to function.)

In other words,

- If you put on the Demonhide Armor and then reveal the Circle of Fire, you will have the armor bonus from the Demonhide Armor and the damage barrier from the Demonhide Armor. (If the Demonhide Armor is later destroyed, its damage-barrier-providing effect will go away, so you will then be able to use the Circle of Fire's damage barrier.)

- If you reveal the Circle of Fire and then put on the Demonhide Armor, you will have the armor bonus from the Demonhide Armor and the damage barrier from the Circle of Fire. (Again, if the Circle of Fire goes away, the Demonhide Armor's damage barrier will begin to function.)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
I like it!
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 09:07:22 AM »
Oh OK.  So he can have both the armor and the DB on, but just can't choose which DB to use.  Cool.  Thanks.