April 27, 2024, 12:14:50 PM

Author Topic: Druid vs Necro Spoilers  (Read 610179 times)

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Druid vs Necro Spoilers
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2013, 04:58:56 AM »
I don't know about anyone else but I always get the feeling that I shouldn't even post thoughts on this forum. Like not sitting in front of my cards every minute so I know exactly what they say. When I post my THOUGHTS on this forum I am mostly wrong. So half the time I get a sweet slap in the face and carry on about my life. The other half I'm just confused as to why I don't spend hours trying to find every rule and loophole and errated clause amongst this forum. This game is very complex and the rules are scattered everywhere. I'm very sorry to think I almost know any of these rules or rulings. Man I think I'll just take a break from this game.

Hey, aquestrion, I know exactly what you mean. I while away the dull moments at work on the forum and I do feel paranoid I'll make some mistake as I don't have access to cards (I can't even use cardgame.db for core set anymore).

If it's any consolation, our local meta didn't notice Dispel targeted revealed enchantment for over a month. I joined them late and, nervous that I'd be playing catch-up, I sought book-building advice on BGG. Someone (sdouglas?) highlighted to me that Nullify did not protect me from Dispel. When I sprung this on my local meta in my first game, there was a furore!

Sometimes, you just "bite" and ask the silly question, knowing you'll come out looking silly. For example, sIKE mentioned casting multiple Battle Fury on his attacking pumped-up Forcemaster. How, I asked? Obviously with Thoughtspores! Doh! But I had to ask, solve the puzzle that was bugging me!

Knowing Dispel is "revealed enchantment" and not "revealed enchantment attached to target object", it is easy enough to think Dissolve is "equipment" and not "equipment worn by target mage". It would be intuitive, either one way or the other. It's a very easy misunderstanding. That Nullify protection, and the fact Dissolve is range 1 while Dispel is range 2, are main reasons why Regrowth Belt is usually better than Regrowth (it's not the case if you have many enchantments to be Dispelled and few equipment to be Dissolved).

I also thought Baronzaltor was only trying to be helpful in gently correcting you.

I sympathise at you bemoaning the lack of a Single Source of Clarifications, something I've pushed for in a constantly updated Living FAQ (as you well know from another post). The fact the FAQ saw no change when complex cards like Enchantment Transfusion were released is, frankly, not great. The immense value and instant game appeal of the Core Set, as well as the excellent customer service experienced by many, that Brand Value is sadly being eroded by small things like a Living FAQ that does not require much resource investment to keep up-to-date. More rules clarity is urgently needed before people can triumphantly point out rules errors in others.

For example, I faced a backlash when, among a list of unclear rules issues, I did not differentiate between the Heal symbol and the Light symbol which both have light emitting. Yes, I missed that one. But that does not get round the fact that there are so many areas where the rules are unclear. The longer this continues unresolved, the more disenchanted some (who want clear ideally intuitive rules) will become.

I hope you reconsider your decision to take a break from the game as I have enjoyed reading your enthusiastic thoughts. If everybody felt less self-conscious and just impulsively spoke their mind without fear of ridicule, just kindred spirits with a fervent love of this game, yes even ocasionally making an @ss of themselves (hey, you are not on a "first and final warning" like me - not from Shad0w), then this forum would become an even better place.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 08:48:52 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
I keep this open on most of my browsers these days:

http://www.gameknight.org/MageWars/spellScribe.php?mage=forcemaster&selectedGames%5B%5D=core&selectedGames%5B%5D=tome&selectedGames%5B%5D=tom2&selectedGames%5B%5D=fmvwl&selectedGames%5B%5D=kumanjaro&quantityLimit=available

Wow! This is great. Where have you been all my (Mage Wars) life? But how do you change it from Forcemaster? Is it Work In Progress?

If it has that functionality, I wasted my time creating an Excel spell-builder for our local meta, inputting school levels etc. Still, mine allows for a flexible pool of cards to be input (by set) so physical maximums are never exceeded. But I'd take the card image and text anytime!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:48:50 AM by DeckBuilder »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »
It *is* wonderful, and you can change mages by starting at the Mage select page. www.gameknight.org/MageWars/

Regarding the urge to be always right, and the associated difficulty, believe me, I know what you mean. It's a large game with complex rules and I've had a few "oh, right, keyword fail" moments myself. Hell, I seem to remember Shad0w got a rules question wrong once. These things happen, taking it personally would be the real mistake.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »
To me that is the main point to the forums. Learning. How can you learn if you don't ask questions? I am with Deckbuilder on the FAQ. It does get quite annoying (not at the person posing the question) seeing the same questions asked multiple times and you see the moderator posting link to multiple forum threads to cove the question. I am really hoping that we don't see a FAQ update (only) with each Major Expansion and that we can see at least Quarterly or even Monthly updates. We all know that convention season is tough so things can wiggle a bit around that time of course.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »
I don't know about anyone else but I always get the feeling that I shouldn't even post thoughts on this forum. Like not sitting in front of my cards every minute so I know exactly what they say. When I post my THOUGHTS on this forum I am mostly wrong. So half the time I get a sweet slap in the face and carry on about my life. The other half I'm just confused as to why I don't spend hours trying to find every rule and loophole and errated clause amongst this forum. This game is very complex and the rules are scattered everywhere. I'm very sorry to think I almost know any of these rules or rulings. Man I think I'll just take a break from this game.

Don't get discouraged man!  There is no harm in being wrong and no one here that responded to the Nullify issue meant to be rude or disrespectful (at least it didn't come off that way to me). 

This game has a steep learning curve and there is no shame in being at bit behind.  You'll get there, it will just take more play time and, yes, more forum time.  Just keep in mind that this is the internet and peoples tones can be easily misread, but most people here are pretty cool and easy going.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2013, 10:05:35 AM »

Do not feel bad it happens to the best of us. Take sometime step back and relax.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:32:27 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »
It *is* wonderful, and you can change mages by starting at the Mage select page. www.gameknight.org/MageWars/

Regarding the urge to be always right, and the associated difficulty, believe me, I know what you mean. It's a large game with complex rules and I've had a few "oh, right, keyword fail" moments myself. Hell, I seem to remember Shad0w got a rules question wrong once. These things happen, taking it personally would be the real mistake.

The best is less than a week before the set goes to print cards get changed.  :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 01, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »

The best is less than a week before the set goes to print cards get changed.  :P

Better late than never :D

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2013, 02:23:04 PM »
I hope the change is for the better and provides great clarity in wording ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »
I hope the change is for the better and provides great clarity in wording ;)

Mostly.... ???

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »

"Move along. There is nothing to see here folks"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:42:24 AM by Wiz-Pig »

HomelessJoe

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 05, 2013, 01:16:13 AM »
My thoughts exactly Wiz. Pass

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 05, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »
I think looking at Skeletons in isolation is doing them a disservice as we don't know its support.
We know the Acolyte can reconstruct 2 life (very good) which is based on its Skeleton keyword.
The other difference with Skeletons (Zombies are Nonliving Psychic Immune) is they are Soldiers.

I suspect there could be a better Soldier Spawnpoint that is War school but not Mage exclusive.
Or War school Soldier upgrades, zone exclusive conjurations which grant "your Soldiers gain X".
This would inject good interactions with Warlord, Holy mages and Skeleton Army Necromancers.

Here's hoping...

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 05, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »
I think looking at Skeletons in isolation is doing them a disservice as we don't know its support.
We know the Acolyte can reconstruct 2 life (very good) which is based on its Skeleton keyword.
The other difference with Skeletons (Zombies are Nonliving Psychic Immune) is they are Soldiers.

I suspect there could be a better Soldier Spawnpoint that is War school but not Mage exclusive.
Or War school Soldier upgrades, zone exclusive conjurations which grant "your Soldiers gain X".
This would inject good interactions with Warlord, Holy mages and Skeleton Army Necromancers.

Here's hoping...

I wasn't meaning to say this card is without implication, just that it is unremarkable in itself both in terms of art and stats. The fact that it is such a cheap basic  dark card with psychic immunity, undead, and a soldier all have implications. It's cheap fodder for the epic growing zombie, its an almost costless alternative for spawning from your graveyard after a bigger creature dies and it rounds out the warlords anti- forcemaster creature pool. Nice idea on the conjurations BTW.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 02:24:35 PM by Wiz-Pig »

HomelessJoe

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 05, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
Possibly. However we do know a few things too, so we can speculate. First we know that this is more than likely the cheapest creature for the Necro. Each mage has their own variation, with differing stats. Basically the grunt that can be spammed at very little cost. Except unlike the Beastmaster's fox who has fast, this creature has essentially nothing (accept the possible soldier enhancement). There is the Acolyte who can regen the skele, but that means your using two spell points just to have a decent one spell point creature.
The reason why this is an instant pass (accept for the possible later reveal of this becoming better with the soldiering) is that with what we have seen thus far there are far better options. Just go zombie. With a few extra mana you can have a zombie who can infect and turn others, not to mention be useful for shaggoth if they are about to die. Acolyte is still useful for the zombies giving them +1 melee making it easier to increase your horde.

And don't get me started on this being a simple one bite snack for Kralathor. I couldn't even imagine the fear I would experience if an opponent brought him out with multiple skeles on the board.

If 'Altar of Skulls' wasn't enemy creature only, I could see considering using them for my Necro poison build. They are such a cheap creature that while my mage focuses on my normal poison driven spells, my Libro Mortuos could summon one each round for sacrifice to speed that process up. But alas that's impossible which in turn gives me so far zero reason to put these guys in my book. Oh well.