April 27, 2024, 01:03:31 PM

Author Topic: Druid vs Necro Spoilers  (Read 610187 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Druid vs Necro Spoilers
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
@Shadow, thats fair

@stormmaster, i love bugs too...

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
So we have seen todays bonus spoiler, I am anticipating todays #7 Spoiler!!!! Yee Haw!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 16, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
So we have seen todays bonus spoiler, I am anticipating todays #7 Spoiler!!!! Yee Haw!

That was a bonus?  I thought it was the "spoiler for the day"...

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »

That was a bonus?  I thought it was the "spoiler for the day"...

On FB - SPOILER BONUS - Seedling Pod

I could be wrong, but typically Bonus is a add on / spiff /extra of something or some object (like spoilers) >:)

Yes you wouldn't be the first to call me greedy ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2013, 03:43:37 PM »
Sweet, I hadn't been able to view it on FB yet so I didn't see the "bonus" part.  Let's hope we get another then :)

And yeah, I'm greedy too ;)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 17, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »

I love this card, you recover mana!!

Burnproof and lighting inmunity, very very difficult to destroy it!!

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 17, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
Wow very cool.  So since it says "a creature" that is any creature including your own?  So you could sacrifice your own creature (using the Altar to destroy it) and that would increase melee and increase mana at the same time?

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 17, 2013, 08:49:11 AM »
This is a spawnpoint I can get excited about :)  Very cool.  I'd already said in a couple of other threads that I figured the Necro would be able to make use of the Sacrificial Altar and this is just one of several ways I'm sure he will be able to do so.

The wording on this card is...very strange.  If the intent is just that you can only gain mana once per turn, why not just say: "Once per round, after a creature is destroyed, gain mana equal to its level"?  Wouldn't that be clean and unambiguous?  But the current wording is muddy and makes it sound like you can gain mana from each creature that dies, but only upon its first death in the round.  If the intent is the former, then the wording is very poorly done.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:57:03 AM by Koz »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 17, 2013, 09:08:55 AM »
This is a spawnpoint I can get excited about :)  Very cool.  I'd already said in a couple of other threads that I figured the Necro would be able to make use of the Sacrificial Altar and this is just one of several ways I'm sure he will be able to do so.

The wording on this card is...very strange.  If the intent is just that you can only gain mana once per turn, why not just say: "Once per round, after a creature is destroyed, gain mana equal to its level"?  Wouldn't that be clean and unambiguous?  But the current wording is muddy and makes it sound like you can gain mana from each creature that dies, but only upon its first death in the round.  If the intent is the former, then the wording is very poorly done.

I understand that but some of us got out voted :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »

I believe the meaning is "Once per round, the first time a creature is destroyed". So sequencing your targets in a zone attack is crucial.

Although it could be read as a reference to not counting creatures destroyed a second time, e.g. reanimates via Ziggurat of Undeath, Animate Dead and other means. I totally agree it's clumsy wording that needs FAQ clarity from the start. I hope it's not final print.

Even with the first death interpretation, I'm with you about getting excited on this spawnpoint. I like how they have brought Sacrificial Altar into the game with the semi-recursive sacrifice mechanic.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:15:59 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »

I understand that but some of us got out voted :P

I'm just not sure what issue they were trying to address that created the need for such awkward phrasing.  The example I used as a way to say the same thing doesn't seem prone to any sort of abuse and is clear in its intent.  Stuff like this makes me scratch my head.

Regardless, I like this spawnpoint.  Even though the mana generation isn't as good as say Gate to Voltari, its still pretty good and I'm sure it can be tricked out with things like Sacrificial Altar.  Obviously the Necro is going to be another swarm based mage, and this seems like a cool way to do a swarm based spawnpoint.   

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
The Idea was that if we simply said "once per turn" then you could wait and pick the most advantageous time to trigger it. We wanted you to have to work to trigger it. It only goes off once a turn and only on the first kill of a given turn. So, you have to work with your timing to try to get more than one or two mana on it.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2013, 09:27:15 AM »

I believe the meaning is "Once per round, the first time a creature is destroyed". So sequencing your targets in a zone attack is crucial.

Although it could be read as a reference to not counting creatures destroyed a second time, e.g. reanimates via Ziggurat of Undeath, Animate Dead and other means. I totally agree it's clumsy wording that needs FAQ clarity from the start. I hope it's not final print.

Even with the first death interpretation, I'm with you about getting excited on this spawnpoint. I like how they have brought Sacrificial Altar into the game with the semi-recursive sacrifice mechanic.

Ah, that's a good point.  If they wanted to specify that it has to be the frist creature that dies in a round, then I could see how they might have come up with some awkward wording.  Still, it seems overly clunky if that's what they are trying to convey.  Why not just say: "You may place mana on Graveyard equal to the level of the first creature killed each round"?  That was just off the top of my head, but it still seems cleaner than what is on the card, and I'm sure that with a little thought even better text could be put together.

Eh, it is what it is.  It still seems like a cool spawnpoint and I like how tough it is and I like the synergy with Sacrificial Altar which has been a coaster since the Core Set's release. 

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »
"whelp, this is the first time this turn my Eternal Servant has died, guess I should add the mana."

Normally the wording would be clear, but undeath–like time travel–requires extra grammatical precision.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2013, 09:48:07 AM »
Yes I could see it meaning both depending on interpretation.  Especially since creatures could be destroyed more than once per round.

So when it says "When a creature is destroyed the first time each round"
it could mean:
A. each time a creature is destroyed you get mana but only the 1st time a creature is destroyed
B. the 1st time a creature dies once per round you gain mana

If it is B then it seems specifying the order of events first (being the first time a creature is destroyed) would have made more intuitive wording.  "Once per round when the first creature is destroyed you gain mana."

If it is A and you do get mana the first time each creature is destroyed (and not the 2nd time it is destroyed if you destroy the same creature twice) then it makes sense as is.