April 28, 2024, 02:34:38 PM

Author Topic: Please stop calling spellbooks "decks"  (Read 4118 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Please stop calling spellbooks "decks"
« on: August 09, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
It's the most aggravating thing. A book is a book. A deck is a deck. Even if they both hold cards, they are completely different incompatible shapes. CCG's use decks. Mage Wars uses books. Why would anyone refer to a Mage Wars Spellbook as a deck? People need to stop with this nonsense. Immediately.

If people are still calling their books decks after their first game, I think we need to do a better job encouraging people to use proper Mage Wars terminology instead of resorting to CCG-speak.

All in favor of the politically correct Mages guild, say--no, TYPE this oath:

I solemnly swear that I will do my utmost best to use correct terminology when speaking about Mage Wars, that I will attempt to minimize the frequency of comparisons that I make between Mage Wars and other games, and that I will never, EVER refer to my spellbooks as "decks". ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Re: Please stop calling spellbooks "decks"
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
I'm just wondering what makes you so angry about this? Sure, it may take away X amount of theme by not calling them books, but I think terms like build and deck are perfectly fine. Some people are really competitive about this game, where the theme isn't the most important thing to them. They call them decks because they are bundles of cards that have a coherent and forward strategy that strives towards a goal that win the game in their favor. Plus, it's a term they know and have used before. It's great that you love this game that much to get peeved about the wordage, though!

Cheers!!

Dude.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »
This post was partially a joke. A would have thought that would have been clear from the last paragraph. It does annoy me quite a bit that people call their spellbooks decks, and I think it makes another comparison to CCGs, which we do not want. But seriously, who would be able to take a "politically correct Mages Guild"  seriously? I wasn't just trying to make a point and a suggestion, I was trying to be funny about it. Sorry it wasn't clear over the internets...
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 08:39:06 AM »

I got the joke.

Here's another...

Man walks into a baker's shop in Forfar. Asks 'Is that a doughnut or a meringue?'

Baker replies, 'No, you're right, it's a doughnut.'

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
Haha. I think I get it. Although the joke might make more sense if you said "doughnut hole" instead of doughnut. Since a normally shaped stale doughnut still would be hard to confuse with a meringue. Love how you said "doughnut" instead of "donut" in a thread talking about politically correct terminology.  ;D

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 08:55:10 AM »
Haha. I think I get it. Although the joke might make more sense if you said "doughnut hole" instead of doughnut. Since a normally shaped stale doughnut still would be hard to confuse with a meringue. Love how you said "doughnut" instead of "donut" in a thread talking about politically correct terminology.  ;D

You must try reading that joke in a Scottish accent...

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:52:48 AM »
I actually use them in deck form, I dont use the spellbooks.  I find it easier to hold the cards as a stack and sift through them.  Clean up is much easier than re-booking too.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »
   I also use the deck rather than the book. So, for me my mage has a spell deck. I find it so much better for me to search and grab what I want to play. I have the deck sorted a specific way as well which makes it even easier.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:22:52 PM »
You mean transporting it in deck form, and then spreading the cards out in a horizontal pile when it comes time to play? I suppose that does make a lot of sense. I still have  unused card sleeves from when I stopped playing MtG. I still wouldn't call it a deck unless the pile is vertical and I'm drawing things off the top, or searching through it and then shuffling. If it's just laid out on the table in front of me in a row, I wouldn't really call it a deck except when I'm transporting it. Thanks for the idea!