April 27, 2024, 01:49:56 PM

Author Topic: Mana Crystal vs Mana Flower ???  (Read 11834 times)

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mana Crystal vs Mana Flower ???
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
Mana Crystal vs Mana Flower ???

If you aren’t playing Arcane or Nature which do you generally choose? 
I like the regen on Mana Flower but I like the armor on Mana Crystal so I can't decide which is best.  Let's assume you don't know which mage you are playing against so the fire/water vulnerability isn't a factor.

I generally put 2 of these in every deck I play.  If you had to put TWO in would you use…
A.   2 Mana Crystals
B.   2 Mana Flowers
C.   1 Mana Crystal + 1 Mana Flower
D.   Other? (less/more other?)

So far in every book I have played regardless of Mage I play:
Mana Crystal OR Mana Flowers
1 Moonglow Amulet
1-2 Harmonize

The purpose of this is I generally try to keep my channeling min of 2-4 mana higher than my opponent the entire game (more if I can).  I did just have a game where I was regenning 14 mana per turn and my opponent was getting 6 mana per turn with upkeep costs.  An extra 8 mana per turn really helps stack the deck in your favor!

I find mana suppression/advantage techniques work well for me since my play style and opponent both generally favor longer matches.  But I’m also trying to balance it (as has been discussed action advantage vs mana advantage).  I know mana alone won't win me a game, it is what I do with it that counts too.  So far I have found regenning more mana to be hugely beneficial though so I'm trying to refine that part of my game.

Thanks in advance, I am a new mageling and appreciate any advice guidance on mana advantage (or any advice) you have.  You guys are all so awesome and helpful in these forums, it is a great resource and community especially for people like me new to the game to learn and grow so I can become a master mage like you guys. 

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Mana Crystal vs Mana Flower ???
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 03:24:48 AM »
It depends on the mage. The Warlock should probably use Mana Crystals so that he doesn't have to worry about burning down his conjurations just because he wants to cast Ring of Fire. Warlord should probably use Mana Flower because it's cheaper for him to include. For Priestess, Priest, and Forcemaster, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I would probably go with 1 of each.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 04:11:18 AM »
i would use moonglow amulet because equipment cards have to be within range of 1 to destroy. harmonize i would use more if i was a wizard otherwise i would only run 1. shift enchantment is novice and i find that moving it is easier than mage binding it. As far as crystal and flowers go I think 1 each JIC.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 07:16:47 AM »
Crystal is more durable than flower in my experience. Both are vulnerable to one-shot kills, but crystal slightly less so. And with or without regeneration, the second attack will probably kill the flower.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
The only strength flower has over Crystal is the 1 spellbook point for BM. That's actually it. Crystal is better in every other case.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
It's also 1 less spellbook point for the Warlord...
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »
I prefer the Crystal over the Flower as it is not subject to Flame Attacks....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 11:25:55 AM »
I would love for my opponents to waste a flameblast on a mana flower.
Always carry a towel...

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Even if the Flameblast comes from a Wizard's tower? Genuinely curious.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »
Yeah, as that is one more attack that isn't being used on me. And if they have a wizard's tower that close to my starting corner, I should be in a good position in the first place.
Always carry a towel...

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »
And if they have a wizard's tower that close to my starting corner, I should be in a good position in the first place.

What do you mean by that one? That they may have rushed too early, and unsupported, perhaps?

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 06:12:02 PM »
I would love for my opponents to waste a flameblast on a mana flower.

Destroying a Mana Flower with a Flameblast isn't a bad play.  It's not like you use every attack spell in your book every game. 

In fact, it's a pretty good play, depending on the match-up.  If you're playing aggressively, you should have no shortage of attack spells or dice in general anyway, but you will be short on mana, and removing the Flower closes the mana gap. 

Destroying that Flower could mean the difference between fizzling out too early and lasting later into the game.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:46:50 AM »
Thanks for the advice folks.  Looks like Mana Crystal is slightly preferred over Mana Flower.  So when in doubt I will add an extra Mana Crystal instead of Flower.  That actually helps a lot since the other purpose of me asking this question is to continue my pursuit of developing a 'base' spellbook.  One that I can have preassembled with the necessary basics and just add to it depending on the Mage I choose and strategy I wish to employ.  So this is one more piece to that puzzle.  Thanks!  :)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
If water based attack spells ever come into style (or are fleshed out a bit), the Hydro Immunity on Mana Flowers might make them more popular.  But right now, theres more threat from fire damage than from Gysers and Surging Waves.

Also, if there was to be...some sort of plant themed mage.., Mana Flower's "plant" subtype might give it an extra level of value to such a spellcaster.  Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 07:26:33 AM »
Ya I was thinking that.  Maybe Mana Flowers that grow and multiply.  Maybe the Druid can do something with plants in the future who knows.  That would be cool.