April 28, 2024, 03:45:33 PM

Author Topic: Charm and Autonomous  (Read 5026 times)

halvor

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Charm and Autonomous
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:45 PM »
Can an autonomous weapon worn by enemy mage attack a creature who is charmed and not break the charm?

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Charm and Autonomous
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:12:51 AM »
   Yes. If I charm a creature, and then have my scimitar attack that creature it does not break the charm. The scimitar does however have to follow the rules for guards first.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 04:17:56 AM »
I believe controller includes all of the controlling mages objects.. tooth and nail only targets creatures controlled by the mage who cast it.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:50:34 AM »
I believe controller includes all of the controlling mages objects.. tooth and nail only targets creatures controlled by the mage who cast it.

What does this have to do with the question?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 02:39:14 PM »
The rules text for Autonomous says "If the equipment provides an attack, that attack may be used once per round, as a free action, at the end of the creature's Action Phase. If the attack is a melee attack, it must follow the normal rules for guarding; however, it will not trigger a counterstrike or damage barrier, and will not remove a guard marker from its target."

I would be willing to say since it does not break guard it should not break Charm.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
charm states "if the CONTROLLER of charm attacks AND DAMAGES this creature, destroy charm." IMO that includes all the objects controlled by that mage.

The card tooth and nail says "all animal" gain piercing plus 1. The forums said that this implies to only the creatures controlled by that mage. So I understand that has nothing to do with this question in particular. I do apologize for the confusion.

The implications about The dancing scimitar would mean my creatures could attack and damage the charmed creature and charm would still be on the creature. That's the best card ever. I really hope this gets a official answer.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »

The card tooth and nail says "all animal" gain piercing plus 1. The forums said that this implies to only the creatures controlled by that mage. So I understand that has nothing to do with this question in particular. I do apologize for the confusion.

The implications about The dancing scimitar would mean my creatures could attack and damage the charmed creature and charm would still be on the creature. That's the best card ever. I really hope this gets a official answer.

Not sure who said that only the creatures controlled by the controller of Tooth and Nail gain the bonus. That is not true. It says all animals and it means all animals. The same is true for Rajan's Fury. Still not sure however, how this relates to the issue at hand.

That is true, your creatures can attack the charmed creature. The charmed creature can also attack your creatures. The prohibition is between the mage who cast charm and the charmed creature attacking each other directly.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 04:53:33 PM »
It would have to be "the mage" doing the damage.  Anything else can attack and not break charm I thought.

If the dancing scimitar took an equipment slot and was a sword wielded by the mage then yes it would be the mage attacking, the dancing scimitar is indeed 'controlled' by the mage but it is doing the attacking not the mage.

And definitely creatures could attack the charmed creature and not break charm because they aren't the one that charmed it.  Unless a familiar was doing the charming, any creature can attack and not break charm.  That is how we've played it anyways.  It doesn't say other creatures can't attack it, it just says the controller of the charm can't attack it, so if I don't swing at the charmed mob or nuke it or shoot it etc it should stay charmed right?

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 06:07:40 PM »
Thank you for clarifying that For me. Now I wish charm wasn't mind mage

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »
PS this was also discussed and clarified here:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=12533.0

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »
Unless a familiar was doing the charming, any creature can attack and not break charm.

An extremely unlikely scenario since the familiar would have to count as a Mind Mage.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 07:23:50 AM »
sorry I actually thought of that after I posted, you are right.  And I doubt they would let familiars cast future spells of that type, although it might be fun if my familiars went around charming things.  :D

Alex319

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
On an Autonomous equipment, it counts as the equipment making the attack, not the Mage making the attack. So it would not break the Charm.