April 28, 2024, 06:27:23 PM

Author Topic: sniper and wall question  (Read 7810 times)

rustyscabbard

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
sniper and wall question
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:06:16 PM »
can a wall b hit by sniper shoot at a wall that that boarder the same zone he is in?

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: sniper and wall question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »
Are you asking if you can use a ranged attack with a minimum range of 1 against a wall that borders the same zone that the attacker is in? If so the FAQ answers your question with this:

"In order for a creature to be able to perform a ranged attack against a wall, it must (1) have LoS to the
wall (trace LoS to the center of the border where the wall resides), and (2) be in range of at least one of
the zones the wall borders."

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
So while he is in range - the wall is bordering a zone 1 away from where he is, he doesn't have line of sight?  which is kinda weird when the wall is in front of him. 

Guess his scope/range is more in the distance, so essentially the rules work to say this wall is too close... a wall on the opposite side of the zone would be targetable in this scenario (assuming the wall on this side was removed).

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »
So while he is in range - the wall is bordering a zone 1 away from where he is, he doesn't have line of sight?  which is kinda weird when the wall is in front of him. 

Guess his scope/range is more in the distance, so essentially the rules work to say this wall is too close... a wall on the opposite side of the zone would be targetable in this scenario (assuming the wall on this side was removed).

I'm not sure I follow you Moonglow. You draw LOS from the center of your zone and the FAQ essentially says you trace to the center of the wall. As far as I can figure there isn't any way that you wouldn't have LOS.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
Doh! didn't read it properly - saw line TO the centre of the other zone for some reason.

haslo

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:56:24 AM »
Keep in mind that the FAQ changes this rule, it makes a lot less sense if you follow the version in the rulebook.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 02:48:39 AM »
Keep in mind that the FAQ changes this rule, it makes a lot less sense if you follow the version in the rulebook.

The rule book version, read strictly, disallows ranged attacks in walls at the edge if your zone! FAQ sorts it

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 04:15:33 AM »
   Consider the wall in your zone to be at range 0. If you could give your sniper flying, you could target the wall, but more likely would rather target something else. Or if the range attack you attempted to use worked at range 0-x then it could target the wall.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:38 AM »
Zot,  that seems to totally  contradict what everyone else was saying.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 07:49:21 AM »
   Consider the wall in your zone to be at range 0. If you could give your sniper flying, you could target the wall, but more likely would rather target something else. Or if the range attack you attempted to use worked at range 0-x then it could target the wall.

You are incorrect. You would not need to be flying. Read the FAQ.
Quote from: Fentum

link=topic=12886.msg20802#msg20802 date=1376034519

The rule book version, read strictly, disallows ranged attacks in walls at the edge if your zone! FAQ sorts it

Actually the rule book says this under the heading Attacking Walls:

"A creature in either of the zones next to a wall may make a melee attack against that wall. Ranged attacks may target a wall if either of the adjacent zones is in range and LoS. Walls do not occupy a zone, and are not affected by zone attacks or spells that target a zone."

It's not quite as clearly stated, but it would still be interpreted that same way as the FAQ.

rustyscabbard

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 03:27:17 PM »
Can I get an official ruling on this please?

haslo

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

Actually the rule book says this under the heading Attacking Walls:

"A creature in either of the zones next to a wall may make a melee attack against that wall. Ranged attacks may target a wall if either of the adjacent zones is in range and LoS. Walls do not occupy a zone, and are not affected by zone attacks or spells that target a zone."

It's not quite as clearly stated, but it would still be interpreted that same way as the FAQ.

Doesn't seem to be that way to me. Consider the following situation:

Code: [Select]
+---+---+
| A ║ B |
+===+---+
| X |   |
+---+---+

There is a creature at X, with a ranged attack that has range 1-2. There's walls between the archer at X and zone A, and between zone A and zone B.
  • X has LOS to B, B is in range and adjacent to the wall between A and B; so per the rulebook, it would be able to target the wall between A and B.
  • X has no LOS to A, and the zone of X itself is not in range, so neither of the zones that are adjacent to the wall between A and X are both in LOS and range.

Thus per the rulebook, the archer would not be able to shoot the wall between A and X, but it would be able to shoot the wall between A and B.

The FAQ fixes this. It says:

In order for a creature to be able to perform a ranged attack against a wall, it must (1) have LoS to the wall (trace LoS to the center of the border where the wall resides), and (2) be in range of at least one of the zones the wall borders.

The archer at X has LOS to the wall between A and X, but not to the wall between A and B. A is in range, so it can attack the wall between A and X (and that A and B are in range doesn't matter for the wall between A and B).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:35:50 PM by haslo »

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 04:53:05 PM »
Thanks for the diagram, after considering this you are correct that the FAQ ruling is different than the rulebook one, I missed the subtly of how they were determining LoS differently in each case. The FAQ ruling makes much more sense I think.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 12:23:51 AM »
Hi,

just to be sure.

If i lock a mage and his 3 goblin slingers in a corner with a Wall of Steel, there is no way for goblin slingers to shoot the wall due to their 1-2 attack range?

Same for mage and his spells which are 1-2?

I understand all texts here, i just need yes or no when we will be arguing in my group. Different eyes, different reading, different opinion ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

haslo

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:37:34 AM »
I understand all texts here, i just need yes or no when we will be arguing in my group. Different eyes, different reading, different opinion ;)
According to the rulebook alone, that would be true, there would be no way for those Goblin Slingers to shoot the wall. But the FAQ/Errata supersedes the rulebook, and because you understand the FAQ text, you also clearly see that the FAQ totally allows the Slingers to shoot the wall in your example.

They have LOS to the wall, the zone outside of the wall (outside from their point of view) is in their range, and that's all it takes. This is not a matter of opinion.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:24:54 AM by haslo »