March 28, 2024, 07:01:43 PM

Author Topic: Mechanic: Madness/Terror  (Read 5601 times)

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Mechanic: Madness/Terror
« on: August 02, 2013, 06:21:57 AM »
I'll be including these mechanics for some of my upcoming Mind school critters:

Madness: At the beginning of the affected creature's action phase, its controller rolls the effect die and consults the compass rose.  Creature must take one move action to the indicated zone, if able.

Terror: Affected creature must take one move action, moving away from the source of the Terror.

Thoughts?
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanic: Madness/Terror
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:21:49 AM »

Madness: At the beginning of the affected creature's action phase, its controller rolls the effect die and consults the compass rose.  Creature must take one move action to the indicated zone, if able.

Terror: Affected creature must take one move action, moving away from the source of the Terror.

Thoughts?

Need to be very careful ref Walls. What happnes if they hit a wall? With or without passage attacks?

Ahlano

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
Yesssss, love it.. i was thinking of this terror, mandness condtions myself....Im a full grown psychologist :3 (lvl 2).. (graduated about 2 years go)... so i love messing with people minds xD...

I was thinking it should be like:

Fear-Terror: At the beggining of the creatures activation, the controller must roll 1d12, on a result of  6+, creature must make a move action away from the source- here there could be 1 ways of moving..1 space away your choice...or maybe a bit more thematic.. in a random direction, with the random direction mechanic in that Forcemaster card...
And the creature cannot move trough a wall with the attack on passage trait...
i would also add, the creature cannot make an attack vs the source... either just by rolling 6+ or maybe

6+ Run away
10+ Cannot Attack the target

He so scared he cant even look at that "thing"...nor attack it

Also i would love add not madness... but paranoia

Having the creature with 2 o 3 Terror Tokens on it... get Paranoia... and suffering damage during each upkeep (1dmg or 2)... something like:

During each upkeep the controller of this card must roll a d12, on a result:

4+, Take 1 Direct Damage
8+, Take 1 Damage and add a Daze

... The creature being so terrorized, he suffers each turn... and suffering so much he prob cant think well... (dazed).

Another Psyc Condition i would like..is Confusion... like.. come on!!!... something like the pokemon condition (you have played pokemon right?)...

Maybe it would be like:

During the activation of this creature, roll a d12, on a result:

5+   The creature moves in random direction
8+   The creature rolls an Attack vs Himself
11+ The creature is dazed

:3 and mooooore... much moooore...
So many ideas @.@
Warlock FTW, untill necro comes out ._.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
This seems close to my Blinded http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=244.msg10468#msg10468 suggestion with "panic"
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Ahlano

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »
yeah i think its kinda similar...
main differences would be LoS... blind the creature loses all LoS...and Panic, Fear, teror or whatever...being the creature cant stand to be in LoS of X target...prob the mage...
And also similar in the moving in random direction...

one because it cant see where it is going and the other because it just doesnt care as long it runs away from the boogie man...

There should be a boogie man dark creature :P

I think maybe..the fear, terror, panic condition...could have a removal option... that .. it will be removed if the target loses LoS of the creature... running back hidding behind a wall... getting blinded maybe?... sounds interesting in my head
Warlock FTW, untill necro comes out ._.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »

Thoughts?

Need to be very careful ref Walls. What happnes if they hit a wall? With or without passage attacks?

I was thinking about Walls...thematically, I'd say Madness would not prevent a creature from going through PA trait walls.  You're already rolling a random direction on the die, after all, so it's hard to plan for.  And the creature is so insane that the Wall of Fire probably looks safer than sticking around.

Mechanically and balance-wise, however, I'm not sure it's a good idea.  It would likely save some hassle to just make it not force creatures to go through PA trait walls.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »

Thoughts?

I was thinking about Walls...thematically, I'd say Madness would not prevent a creature from going through PA trait walls.  You're already rolling a random direction on the die, after all, so it's hard to plan for.  And the creature is so insane that the Wall of Fire probably looks safer than sticking around.

Mechanically and balance-wise, however, I'm not sure it's a good idea.  It would likely save some hassle to just make it not force creatures to go through PA trait walls.

Random direction is not such a worry. But 'terror' as described above, I would use as a mechanic to push creatures around, and particularly into thorn walls.

Perhaps they stop at walls or take a bash, or become dazed?

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:04:31 PM »
I love the terror idea Red!

This would be a great positioning tool, especially useful fearing a slow creature, it would take them several turns then to get back to you.  It would have to be sufficiently expensive like 2 mind 1 dark or 2 of each.  I like the combo of dark and mind for it since I've always thought a dark/mind based Fear spell/incantation would be a great add.  Basically if it isn't a psychic immune creature the next move action has to be in the opposite direction of caster of fear.  If diagonal the person can choose (since it is still 'away').
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 02:06:35 PM by cbalian »