April 29, 2024, 12:43:17 PM

Author Topic: Conquest of Kumanjaro Priest Predefined Spell Book  (Read 4475 times)

stampede

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Conquest of Kumanjaro Priest Predefined Spell Book
« on: July 31, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
Hello,

i have a question regarding the predefined spell book for the Malakai Priest in Conquest of Kumanjaro.
In the spell book its listed that 2 Staff of Asyra should be used. But theres only one Staff of Asyra in the Core Set.
Is that an error in the spell book or is it assumed that you have to buy a Core Spell Tome 2 (or a 2nd Core Set) to build this spell book?

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Conquest of Kumanjaro Priest Predefined Spell Book
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 12:16:40 PM »
While I thought "no way that can be right" indeed even the list of cards here confirms only 1 copy of the staff.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 08:32:42 AM »
The bobcat on the new beastmaster should be a falcon.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
Probably just an error.  Core Spell Tome 2, imo, isn't as valuable as Tome 1, since it's mainly Legendary and Epic cards that you can either live with just 1 copy in a book or can't include more than 1 copy anyway.

No big deal either way.  Unless your friends are big fans of conjurations and incorporeal creatures, the Staff is a subpar card.  And even then, the Holy school has access to the Divine Might (or whatever it's called) at only 3 mana total and 1 spellbook point, so I'm not totally sure why you would use the staff anyway.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:46:43 PM »
For the repeated Daze/Stun chance?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:14:11 AM »
For the repeated Daze/Stun chance?

If you want repeated stun/daze chance, why not play Samandriel?  Yeah they have different costs, but she's pretty much the best Holy creature, especially if you want repeatable conditions.

I mean, how often are you really going to melee attack with a mage that isn't the Warlord or Forcemaster?  Probably not enough to warrant paying 9 mana for a marginal increase in dice and 50% for an effect.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:57:20 AM »
I haven't played the Priest, or the Priestess, but I kinda thought the staff was pretty good looking, and I thought the Priest was a good chance to use it. There's a ring for its damage type, and 4 dice + burn is quite a lot of damage to add to stun and any other melee damage bonuses.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 01:24:14 AM »
Equipment looks good until you realize that mages naturally come with melee attacks.  So, in reality, you're paying 9 or so mana to get 2 extra dice and an effect, which, considering Bear Strength is 5 mana and the fact that your mage's quick actions are likely better used on spells than mediocre attacks, isn't very good.

The Warlord and FM are exceptions, because their weapons can roll a lot more dice than other mages' weapons, and provide sweeping, which is just way better than a 50% chance to burn/daze.

The other problem is that card value is elevated for spells/attacks/etc played against a mage.  Hence, Magebind and so on.