April 19, 2024, 07:39:53 AM

Author Topic: NEW Beginners guide to play MW online via Octgn and a List of players  (Read 78694 times)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
New stream just started: http://www.twitch.tv/charmyna

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Out of curiosity, how do people build their deck on OCTGN?  Before my core set arrived I tried to build a deck online, but found it pretty hard to know what the cards were.  Now I'm thinking I'll build it real world, then load it into OCTGN. 

Is this just what newbies do and once you're familiar as with the cards you do it on the text builder?  Or the cards are necessary?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
I started by loading in the default deck(s) and then changing cards in and out as I played IRL, in Octgn you can build from scratch, the default decks are already built, or you can go out on the forums and find someone's build and load it in and play/play test it.

The Deck Builder in Octgn is by far the best out there for building decks. I have tried the all (well I have tried any of the spreadsheet based ones in a while) the ones out there. No comparison.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Not sure if I've got it installed correctly then, I can't see any of the default decks - I can sort by expansion/set type, school etc, can add cards, save and load decks (but don't have anyone elses to load).

There also doesn't seem to be anything that tracks the cost of the deck of whether its legal or not, I can add 9 of a card etc.

Is it possible to load the deckbuilder incorrectly?  Or am I just expecting too much?

I started by loading in the default deck(s) and then changing cards in and out as I played IRL, in Octgn you can build from scratch, the default decks are already built, or you can go out on the forums and find someone's build and load it in and play/play test it.

The Deck Builder in Octgn is by far the best out there for building decks. I have tried the all (well I have tried any of the spreadsheet based ones in a while) the ones out there. No comparison.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
@ moonglow

I thought that the standard decks was installed when installing the game module. (i havent used the normal decks so im unsure of this).

Did you try this link for the deck calculator?

http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/wordpress/magewars/install/

Note that one of the menues in the deckeditor says "plugins". If you installed the deckcalc properly it will be listed in this menu.

kr

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
There also doesn't seem to be anything that tracks the cost of the deck of whether its legal or not, I can add 9 of a card etc.

Is it possible to load the deckbuilder incorrectly?  Or am I just expecting too much?

The deck builder currently doesn't enforce card limits nor card exclusives. I hope that is fixed in the near future.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Tim

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I want to join to please: Tim001
Thanks and I hope I see you on Octgn :d

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
Just wanted to say im still working on this list. So if you want to be added, just send me a tell here in the forum, in octgn or post it in this thread.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I have just played my 1st Online game of Mage Wars!  ;D

Was definitely slow at 1st while I was learning the interface but I think I got it for the most part and ready to play. 
Can't wait to meet you all online on OCTGN.  If you want to play let me know!  I'm still a little slow though  :o but I actually picked it up faster than I thought. 

I was all intimidated but it wasn't so bad.  Helps having someone nice and patient explain stuff.  Was also cool after he left it keeps the client open so I was about to click and play and explore different features etc.

My name on OCTGN --> Stormmaster

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Added you as a friend Stormmaster (You too Charmyna)! My first 2 (Thanks The Dude) games were a blast!

I will say it threw me off even more than I thought it would, (Playing online) But aslong as we are all just trying to have fun- it will be fun.

I wish everything could be just a bit bigger- So I could read the cards traits without having to actually look at them, but thats far from a criticism. The people who worked on this should feel proud.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:54:28 AM by DarthDadaD20 »
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I added you as a friend Darth.  Cheers to new friends!  :D

Darth 2 things for actually seeing things on the card.  You probably saw this but I'm not sure if your reading the card is about the traits or the condition markers on it.  You might have noticed this but just in case...
1.  Hover mouse over any card it puts a HUGE copy of it to view on the left so you can read card traits/details
2.  Use your mouse wheel (in middle) scroll it forward and it makes the whole card huge (including conditions on it) so you can even read the tiny details on the markers.  Like if you forget how much does it cost to remove Weak or what the condition actually does.  It's all on there (just like the board game) just tiny.

It won't mess you up either because after you look just scroll mouse wheel back and you get full screen again so you can see the whole board etc.

I do have a question though.  I swear I saw it somewhere, but what is it to drag the board around?  I can make it bigger or smaller to fill screen but if I want to move it left right up down some what is that?  I tried click drag shift etc etc.  I'm sure it is easy I just didn't see the command for it.

As far as playing itself I misplayed like crazy!  :o  I was so focused on "did I hit that right" ctrl down ctrl right click dragging etc.  that I was paying attention to that and kept thinking crap I wish I would have ...  Trying to remember to put mana on my Gate to Voltari every time they cast a spell, also kept forgetting to regen.  If it put mana on my gate auto when they cast a spell would be cool.  I can kind of see why regen might be manual since everything is free form it might not realize what is actually in a zone.  But I have to remember in real life so it's all good.

One thing that would be really awesome is dice/damage.  I like how it tells you X regular X crit damage would be cool if it did the math for you, subtracted your armor, factors for your Voltaic Shield and just told you how much damage to put on you, or better yet just adjusted your life or put damage counters on the creatures.  BUT it does make it feel more "real" if you have to put condition tokens and damage markers on stuff like the board version.

All in all pretty cool.  I only have 1 friend that plays in real life so will be cool to meet some peeps online to play with.  I've actually never lost a game yet playing the board game version, I can however see losing a LOT of games online lol  :-[

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Yeah- Its really cool, I had a blast.

and NO- I had no idea I could zoom in on the cards! thats amazing! Thank you! Some times the big picture wouldn't show up- and even though I remember most of the cards well.... when the time came- Its like I had never seen some of these cards!

I would like to move the board around too! that would be nice to make it just that little bit bigger.

My misplays where things like- Casting Force Wave and THEN wall of thorns- and rolling the wrong attack dice just about every attack! taking the wrong amount of damage- I could go on....but I wont! :P

I will get it though- and I know I want to play again.

If my games with my group end before 3am- I will be on tonight.
Within Shad0w.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Hold space to drag board, just like in photoshop.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
:O
Within Shad0w.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Hold space to drag board, just like in photoshop.

space!  ha ok, I tried shift control right click left click hold drag all kinds of stuff, I'm sure there is a whole ton of commands I don't know.  This helps thanks!