April 28, 2024, 10:11:47 AM

Author Topic: Wizards power flux strategy  (Read 3224 times)

Mohobie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Wizards power flux strategy
« on: July 30, 2013, 10:04:45 AM »
Ok I'm relatively new with mage wars yet, but my 1st custom deck included the wizard with some heavy mana manipulation.. which I created with his story in mind. I have had some success with it and I think the best 3 card strategy from it that I could share is having a couple copies of Turn to Stone, Nullify, and Banish. By turning the big badies to stone your effectively taking the wind out of their sails followed by a nullify to prevent a dispelling of the turn to stone. Most books I have encountered have a very limited number of dispells, so if you can twart 1 or 2 that way you usually have them dead to rights... Unless they bring a dispell wand in which case a dissolve is required. The banish comes in handy should you need to remove them from the table in order to have time to remove the dispell wand. They are also nice for crowd management.so if you can make 2 turn to stones hold, your sapping 8 mana per game round from them.I think everyone who plays can imagine how much of an impact that would have on a mage. Try this out. I'd love to hear your own results with it.
Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun...

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Wizards power flux strategy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »
A few notes, with the understanding that you are new. Nullify does not protect an enchantment against Dispel. Nullify only triggers when the creature is targeted by an incantation or enchantment, but Dispel targets the enchantment itself. Also, the dispel wand cannot target Turn to Stone as I believe it is a level 3 spell, and dispel wand can only destroy level one spells.

Also, you are not sapping 8 mana per game from them. As you are the controller of Turn to Stone, you have to pay the 4 mana upkeep in order to keep it attached to that creature. If the opponent had to pay for the upkeep cost, it would say something along the lines of "This creature gains the Upkeep +4 trait" so you are actually sapping yourself of 8 mana per turn when you play two.

Mohobie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
hrmm well then, I have several victories under my belt that are in gross error. Your right about the wand. it has never come to play but I was mentally prepared for it... oops. I had intended to argue the point of dispell but you are correct there as well. ;) Well thankfully we only have friendly games going so I expect to avoid being tarred and feathered. I will have to get more essence drain cards in there and banishes to apply my logic. Thanks for the clarifications.
Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun...

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »
All is well. ^.^ I'm starting to live and breathe Mage Wars, but I'm still going to make mistakes from time to time. I've just been stalking these forums for a while, and those were all actually very common misconceptions. You are not the first, nor will you be the last. Heck, I didn't even realize I couldn't protect my enchantments for the longest time.