March 28, 2024, 06:12:04 PM

Author Topic: ERRATA - Temple of Light  (Read 68951 times)

patrickconnor

ERRATA - Temple of Light
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:30:53 PM »

Temple of Light:

The card’s spell text has changed to the following:

“Once each round, before or after any friendly creature’s Action Phase, you may choose a value of X from 1 to the number of temples you control, and pay X mana to make the above attack, adding X to the effect die roll. Use a Ready Marker to keep track of this ability.”

FAQ:

- As an example, if you control 4 temples, you may pay either 1, 2, 3, or 4 mana. If you choose 3, you pay 3 mana, then make the above attack rolling 3 attack dice and adding 3 to the effect die roll.

- You choose the value of X each time you use the ability. (For instance, you could choose X=3 while using the ability one round, and X=1 while using the ability on a different round.)

- Temple of Light can attack the round that it comes into play.

- The effect die results, 9-10=stun, 11+=daze, are correct. (As X increases, the chance to daze increases, but not the chance to stun.)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: ERRATA - Temple of Light
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:34:01 PM »
(As X increases, the chance to daze increases, but not the chance to stun.)

I have had trouble in the past understanding how to apply this statement. Could I please get a good explanation and example of how to apply the amount rolled on the effect dice.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »
Basicly you're adding X to the die itself. The numbers to get the effect do not change.

If you pay say 4 for X and roll a 9 you get 13, you need a 9 or 10 to stun and 13 is not one of those numbers.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 05:59:04 PM »
im sure you did copious play testing on this, and i haven't added it to excel yet. but it just feels like most mages (even the priestess) wont want to dedicate mana to what is a weaker light powered wizards tower anymore.

since it cost mana to attack did you consider giving it a channel value, so then at least with no mage interference it could do a 1 dice attack every round.

i guess on the good side "if" this card isn't going to be used anymore it would warrant future expansions to have additional holy conjurations
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
I have to say they nerfed the hell out of this card when you add in the Unique (nerfing) on the Hands of Bim-Shalla. I can not see the Priestess winning any in tournaments going forward. I make the predication that the next winner of a Tournament is the Warlock and I do not see that changing at any point for a good while. Now Necro vs. Druid may change that, but I am guessing we are going to see a good group of the cards coming from it to be from the Dark school.

I have to wonder if I should give up on MW before my heart gets broken even more. BTW I didn't run a ToL + HoBs deck...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:28:26 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
Can you purchase these new cards anywhere so we can replace our old cards?

Changing a card that is already in print seems like a bad idea.  What about the thousands of cards that are already printed?  Do they get replaced with new ones or do players just know and remember they changed it?

I never thought Temple of Light or Hands of Bim Shala were that overpowered to begin with.  I've played several temple builds and sure they are good but I've still never lost to one (there are so many ways around the temple of light even with hands out) so it was never a big deal.

I think it would make sense in the future to add NEW cards in new expansions that would add balance or counter these cards if the playtesters or powers that be find a card is out of balance.  Because that way it will make people want to buy those new expansions even more so they can beat existing cards that may be out of balance.  No need to change old cards, just make new ones to bring the game back in balance.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 08:51:32 PM by cbalian »

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
First reaction is that they've gone too far with the Temple nerfs.  They basically gutted them. 

I like how the Warlock has won two tournaments and nothing was changed, but Temple build wins one and the sky is falling and we have to nerf stuff NOW!  Overreaction IMO.

Well, I guess if the Warlock players can't beat 'em, they'll have 'em errata'd!!!!! 

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 07:03:54 PM »
KOZ the rules team had been talking about most of these change since late May. It took this long to come up with the correct wording and balance. (after seeing what I had talked about with the power of HoB in action it was moved to the forefront of the rules team talks) I was part of all these talks and I understand the reason behind them.

Of all the changes this was the one I was most concerned with but after many weeks. I do understand the reason for it. Some things may not be clear at first but they have been made for the health of the game.   
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 07:08:30 PM »
Changing a card that is already in print seems like a bad idea.  What about the thousands of cards that are already printed?  Do they get replaced with new ones or do players just know and remember they changed it?

Agreed: This is one of the many reasons that these took so long to announce, trust me when I say this was talked about time and time again. I have not heard the final plan as to what is going to be done. I wish I could give you more info at this time but alas even I am not privy to that info.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:11:58 PM »
The mana cost is not much of a problem, it still does its job, and I REALLY like the option to be able to choose the effect.

Overall, I am happy with this change. Paying one mana per turn to use its attack is still effective IMO.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 07:31:17 PM »
Thank you again haslo!
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
Links to higher-res versions of the three errata'd cards:

http://magewars.com/jsite/images/Temple%20of%20Light%20-%20UPDATED%20660%20px.jpg
http://magewars.com/jsite/images/Hand%20of%20BimShalla%20-%20UPDATED%20660%20px.jpg
http://magewars.com/jsite/images/Battle%20Fury%20-%20UPDATED%20660%20px.jpg

Thanks haslo!  I might try to figure a way to print those out on card stock or something.  My memory isn't what it used to be so unless I can purchase these new cards somewhere I want to do something with my existing ones to denote the change so I don't have to refer to a list of changes to remember.  I see they will be available in the mean time I will use your images on cardstock.

Is there any licensing or copyright law infringements if we use the images to create our own replacement cards?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:04:38 PM by cbalian »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile

haslo

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2013, 03:25:25 AM »
Thank you again haslo!
You're welcome :) Just saying though, they're not my images, they're the ones that were linked from the blog post - I merely dug through all of Arcane Wonders' communication channels until I found them :)