April 28, 2024, 07:22:11 PM

Author Topic: handicap system advice  (Read 2085 times)

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
handicap system advice
« on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:29 PM »
(I don't know if this is alternate play or general)

I am in a spot right now where I am really the only person amongst my personal friends who can play magewars well. to be honest I don't think I am that good a player just I own the game so I have much more games under my belt.

when I ask my brothers and friends they reply "its not fun playing mage wars between a person who plays on league and players who don't own the game"
this is a problem because it limits all my training to league games only.

so I would like some thoughts to a handicap system.

here is what I propose (note only for casual games)

"a handicap system that increases the channel of the lesser skilled player"

this system will be applied only when one player is significantly more skilled then the other player

the practicalities work like this.

every game the lower skilled player looses he gains 1 channel for his next game. when he wins he looses 1 channel (you can never get less then 0 handy capped channel).

when you are uncertain of who is the better player (ie you think your even) you both have the handicap of the lowest person. the looser gains the handicap.

you keep your relative handicap based on the last time you played that person.

assume there are 3 regular players
David (owner of game)
Stephen (2nd most skilled player)
Anthony (weakest of 3)

the handicap will start at
D, 0
s, 1
A, 1

D beats S , S was weaker so gains handy
D 0
S 2
A 1 (note A hasn't played so we don't know his handicap)

S vs A, although A has a lesser handicap we don't know who is stronger so give them both 2 handicap. S wins this game

D 0
S 2
A 3

now I think I can word the rules better so only the difference in handicap is given in channel but I think you get the idea.

once a handicapped person is more powerful then the uncapped person they will start to win games and they will hover around their real handicap level. as they also be better players their handicap will also drop.

the reason why you don't get below 0 handicap is so even the better player can practice "plays" that they can use in real games

what are your thoughts and advice on making a handicap system for local groups of friends.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up