April 25, 2024, 04:16:36 PM

Author Topic: Creature Card Ideas: Holy School  (Read 6661 times)

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Creature Card Ideas: Holy School
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:08:30 AM »
Holy School gets the creature treatment this time around...

Sulgorim, Ferafell Chosen (20 Mana) (level 5)

3 armor

14 health

Quick Attack (Stone Claymore): 4 attack dice

Damage Barrier (Divine Radiance): 2 attack dice, Effect Die: Daze 7+, Burn & Daze 10+

Rage 2, Legendary, Holy Mage Only

"The Chosen guards the High King, on his white-gold throne,
Eyes of coal, soul of steel, sword of sacred stone,
His hooded gaze pierces the Dark, that shadow of the Light,       
That may restore the black Crown of old, and all its terrible might,
Against this the Chosen stands, this man whom fervor claimed,
Assassins, orcs or demon hordes, for him, it's all the same,
So heed me, unholy rabble!
Listen long and well...
No sin escapes the justice of,
The Sun of Ferafell
."

--Last sermon of martyr Simon Lyren, Court Bard-Priest

Asyran Shepherd (12 Mana) (level 3)

1 armor

9 health

Quick Attack (Staff): 2 attack dice, Effect Die: Daze 9+

Full Action (1 mana)(Heal)(0-1 Range): 3 attack Dice

Aegis 1

Instead of rolling dice for the Shepherd's heal, you may remove 1 condition, paying its removal cost.

Stoic Griffin (16 mana)

1 armor

12 health

8+ Defense

Quick Attack (Claw & Talons): 4 Dice, Piercing +1 Effect Die: Bleed 8+ 

Flying

Griffins value the rule of law above all else, be it in the Johktari jungles or Asyran courts.

Enforcer of Malakai (13 mana)

3 armor

9 health

Quick Attack (Searing Mace)(flame attack): 3 attack dice, counterstrike Effect Die: 8+ Burn

Vigilant, Light Immunity

The Eyes of Malakai never rest.

Razamel, the Burning Dawn (21 mana)

1 armor

13 health

Quick Attack (Khopesh): 4 attack dice

Full Attack (Heat Wave)(range = 1-1)(Flame): 3 attack dice, Sweeping Effect Die: Burn on 8+, Burn & Daze on 11+

Flying, Aegis 1, Legendary

Dawnlight scourges the impure and he is its keeper.

Mariyan, the Will of Asyra (15 mana)

3 armor

12 health

Quick Attack (War Hammer): 4 dice

At the beginning of the Action Phase, if Mariyan is not Incapacitated, you may choose one of your opponent's planned spells.  He or she reveals that spell until the end of the round.

Legendary, Tough -2

Mariyan loathes deception of all kinds, demanding truth from all who stand before her and Asyra's grace.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
Re: Creature Card Ideas: Holy School
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:52:21 AM »
do you think the range of heat wave should be (1-1). I would consider (0-1) because of the following reasons

- samandril has a similar ranged ability which is 0-1
- as she is flying unless she looses the flying trait she will always ignore minimum ranged attack distance (from rule book)
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
do you think the range of heat wave should be (1-1). I would consider (0-1) because of the following reasons

- samandril has a similar ranged ability which is 0-1
- as she is flying unless she looses the flying trait she will always ignore minimum ranged attack distance (from rule book)

I think you mean Selesius  :P

But yeah I'm not sure about the range of the Sun Angel's ability, because I don't really know how powerful it is.  It makes sense to keep it in line with precedent though, so I'll change it.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 08:31:12 PM »
I am always up for another angel.

I can't wait till there are enough cards for me to build books of angels with all 7 damage types
 flame, hydro, light, lightning, poison, psychic and wind.

35 points of angels is overkill buy I don't care
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:40:26 AM »
Ya and Angel deck would be fun!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:03:49 AM »
I have tried what I referred to as a Wrath of Heaven spell book, using one of each of the current Angels. It takes too long to get the Angels out. However that is not the biggest issue, they are all flying and do not hinder ground creatures. I was a bit surprised to find out the importance of that little fact when I had a mid-sized creature swarm whoop up on my Mage with Angels in zone between me and the opposing creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »
I have tried what I referred to as a Wrath of Heaven spell book, using one of each of the current Angels. It takes too long to get the Angels out. However that is not the biggest issue, they are all flying and do not hinder ground creatures. I was a bit surprised to find out the importance of that little fact when I had a mid-sized creature swarm whoop up on my Mage with Angels in zone between me and the opposing creatures.

Yeah, in the many games I've played against the Priest/Priestess, I've only ever seen 2 angel legends come out once, and not at the same time.  I forget if I won or lost that game...probably the latter.

Hindering is a good reason to guard with a large flying creature.  Usually a mix of flying/nonflying works best, as you allude to, especially with the angel legends since even with Aegis 1 their armor values are low enough that in their vanilla state, they're probably taking full damage from whatever happens to swing on them. 

Guarding with flying creatures also prevents them from getting wrecked by Tarok.  In combination with the Johktari BM's Wounded Prey and a Marked for Death, it's pretty easy to focus-fire large fliers with Tarok + something else (usually Steelclaw).  Tarok usually dies in the process though.   

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »
If you are using a 21 mana cost Angel to Guard, then that is a problem in of itself. The mana cost for getting these guys out is crazy expensive also. You basically need to drop BF and suit up, tank a bit and bring out an angel, tank a bit, bring out an angel, to get out 2-3 of these bigs is a 8-9 round ordeal and all the while your mage really isn't casting anything else and is taking damage. If you can survive long enough to get them out (I haven't been able too) then you will have a very good chance of winning the game.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
If you are using a 21 mana cost Angel to Guard, then that is a problem in of itself.

Not really with the new Priest.  If you're smart, you'll guard with your angel in same zone as your Holy Avenger, putting your opponent in a lose-lose situation; you want to kill the Avenger, but you have to attack the guard first...which will then trigger Avenger.  And as Knights are pretty much the best Avengers, that's 7 dice (usually 9, because Bear Strength is especially good on Avengers) getting dropped on whatever attacked the angel, which is even worse with the piercing +1. 

Really, I don't think I've ever won a game in which I've knowingly let Holy Avenger trigger with the HA still active.  The extra 5 health is annoying, but I can deal with it.  Triggering the extra dice, however, has been suicidal every time I've done it.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:30:22 AM »
Now that you've added a ground pounder into the mix, that is a different story all together. The Priest only channels 9 by default. So you are talking about three rounds to save enough mana to get an angel out(even if you drop a Mana Flower/Crystal) the Priestess can do it in two with one Mana Flower/Crystal out. Holy Avenger is wicked good but once again you have to have the mana to both pull the creature out and give HA in the same round.