April 29, 2024, 12:49:46 AM

Author Topic: Some questions about few things  (Read 4521 times)

Kroko

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Some questions about few things
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »
Hello everyone. Firts of all I want to say that I heve experience in MW. I've played many games but as always, there are many issues with rule or card text. So here are few questions that have appeared in discussion with my friends. So let's begin.

1. Gate to Hell, this one was our main issue. I understand most of what is write at card. But this part is quite troublesome "Once per game, as a full action, you may pay 12 mana to 'Open the Gate', and make the above attack against each non-Flying creature up 2 zones away from the Gate". And now, how this attack looks? For example, let's take situation below:

G - Gate to Hell
M - Mage
1 - non-Flying creature 1
2 - non-Flying creature 2
3 - non-Flying creature 3

When I open Gete to Hell which one I can attack?
a) Creature 1 because it's i range of 2 zones
b) Both cratures (2 and 3) because they are in range
c) Creature 3 and Mage

2. It's about conditions marker. I know that they can be removed with spells (Purify) or with Priestess abilities. But can they can be remove when creature/Mage have Finite Life? I was thinging about it when I read this in CoK codex "The marker has a removal cost of 3, and can be removed normally by spells or abilities which
remove conditions, even if the Tainted object has the Finite Life trait."
So, let's say that creature have 'Weak' condition and there is Deathlock in play. Can I heal 'Weak' when creature have Finite Life?

3. Can I cast Hawkeye on Mage that is equiped with Ivarium Longbow/Hunting Bow? In rule book is written "Ranged +X - This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. Has no
effect on zone attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this creature does
not have one." Mage start with normal, 3 dice melee attack so it's natural thah Hawkeye won't work because it doesn't grant a range attack, that is simple.
But when Mage cast Longbow/Hunting Bow/Staff of Arcanum (it has range attack) will Hawkeye work on it ang give 1 more dice to attack? I think it should because now Mage has a range attack.

Hm...I think it's all for now. If there will be others issues then I will post once again.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions about few things
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:18:05 AM »
1. Yes, all of the attacks you describe are valid as long as the creature(s) does not have the flying trait.

2. Conditions can be removed by Spells, Abilities, or if they allow for a escape rolls at the end of the creatures action phase.

3. The target of the Spell is a Living Creature, you mage is considered a Living Creature, so yes.

Hope this helps.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Kroko

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 01:46:37 PM »
It helps, I appreciate help.

2. Conditions can be removed by Spells, Abilities, or if they allow for a escape rolls at the end of the creatures action phase.

I know tha codition can by removed by Spell, Abilities or Escape Rolls. But can they by removed if creature/Mage has Finite Life? In description of Tainted it'swrote that it can be removed even if creature has Finite Life. So what about other conditions?
If Living Creature has Finite Life it can't be taarget of healing spells, regeneration or can't gain life. If we    
assume that removing conditions is like healing them, then Finite Life bloc this as it bloc healing. Word "even" creates some misunderstands in interpretation...
That's why I ask about this more experienced players :)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »
Here is the codex on Tainted:

Tainted
This is a Poison condition. This cursed or venomous attack creates a tainted or infected wound that will not heal. The marker counts as 3 damage, and this damage cannot be healed or regenerated. The marker has a removal cost of 3, and can be removed normally by spells or abilities which remove conditions, even if the Tainted object has the Finite Life trait.

I think answers your question....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 04:27:42 PM »
Here is the codex on Tainted:

Tainted
This is a Poison condition. This cursed or venomous attack creates a tainted or infected wound that will not heal. The marker counts as 3 damage, and this damage cannot be healed or regenerated. The marker has a removal cost of 3, and can be removed normally by spells or abilities which remove conditions, even if the Tainted object has the Finite Life trait.

I think answers your question....

Any other questions Kroko?
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Kroko

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
Hm...no, I think it's all clear. Well, thank you for answers.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »
I also believe a finite life living creature can be the target of a heal spell, it can't receive any life. you go through all the steps apart from removing damage on the dice.

a practical example is "lay hands" let's you heal and remove condition tokens. you would:
declared spell
pay mana
roll 12 dice (but not remove damage, this would remove tainted)
select as many conditions to remove
pay the removal cost
end of spell
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:14:07 PM »

I think that the reason that Tainted specifies that it can be removed even if the creature has Finite Life, is that damage is removed from the creature when the Tainted marked is removed. There must have been concern that someone might consider this removal of the Tainted condition as healing... but it apparently is not from the spell description.

Other conditions do not discuss whether or not they can be removed when the creature has Finite Life simply because there does not appear to be any similar kind of quasi-healing going on with them.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 10:22:13 AM »

I think that the reason that Tainted specifies that it can be removed even if the creature has Finite Life, is that damage is removed from the creature when the Tainted marked is removed. There must have been concern that someone might consider this removal of the Tainted condition as healing... but it apparently is not from the spell description.

Other conditions do not discuss whether or not they can be removed when the creature has Finite Life simply because there does not appear to be any similar kind of quasi-healing going on with them.

Dave you are correct. That is why it was done.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:19 AM »
I don't consider removing a condition as healing anyways.  You are not 'healing' (ie removing damage taken) you are removing the condition.  So finite life trait wouldn't really impact (at least how I read it originally).