April 25, 2024, 02:20:36 PM

Author Topic: So . . . who, what, when, how @ Dice tower con?  (Read 18787 times)

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
So . . . who, what, when, how @ Dice tower con?
« on: July 08, 2013, 02:15:46 AM »
Mage wars FB says warlock took first?

Anyone have 411 to spill? As much info and details as possible is awesome.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: So . . . who, what, when, how @ Dice tower con?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:12 AM »
Would be nice to get more consistent information about what peoples winning strategies are. I feel like there is a lot of user created content on this forum and some more input from the other side would be nice.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:15:51 AM »
doesn't anybody at AW or the TO have a tripod and camera, a full replay on youtube wont be that hard. it also would be a a viable form of referee in case anything need to be disputed. hek if i knew we had enough people where i live to have a large comp i would design and bring a table that fits 3 camera's; 1 over the top, and 2 able to see the upside down card mages select from there book (kind of like TV poker shows).
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:08:24 AM »
This is actually the thing that annoys me. From a cost benefit analysis this is a very cheap cost that they can do. It's not more content, story lore, or online gameplay; it is someone at each tournament walking around taking notes and essentially writing a story or blog about it.

And like most tcg tournaments they should have a list if all the cards in the books, they should publish the top 4, 8, or 16.

And I'm not trying to be mean, but as a consumer this is very disappointing because they already have people at this convention, and are even running it.

But then again it was yesterday, and it does take time. However, if AW or MW under performs in reporting tournament data then to me that shows a lack of commitment and thoughtfulness.

So, let's see what we get. Tournament play is going to be the difference between this game being a mtg like phenomenon versus a fad. The learning curve of this game entices a certain kind of gamer, and it's not really casual gamer.  It's the people that want tournament play.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »
@Texan - It is a big difference in what I want to give you guys and what you do get. I know what we should be getting but for some reason it is not happening. If all goes well Gencon will be very different  8)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 04:29:28 PM »
My point does stim from the info that was supposed to come from the origins tournament, either I missed the info that was gonna come grow aw or it didn't.

But To the point I think most people want what was easily observable by any spectator. The process is as simple as a pen, paper, notes, and thoughtful observations.  And if that is what you are referring to shadow, well that sucks. But I fell that makes a point, but as you allude to gencon, let's hope.

A very streamlined process to report tournament happenings would be a very cost effective means of providing the same excitement that is normally found during an expansion release.  It actually seems more important than some other efforts, because it can fill a void for those frustrated trying to find other ppl to play against.

But TLDR, was anyone there than can recap what was played?

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:09:45 PM »
A very streamlined process to report tournament happenings would be a very cost effective means of providing the same excitement that is normally found during an expansion release.  It actually seems more important than some other efforts, because it can fill a void for those frustrated trying to find other ppl to play against.

Yeah being that we are probably a more hardcore audience we are all hungry for different strategies and whats happening out in the wild. I find it curious that during the last few tourneys it was actually the players who posted all the information - with little coming from the other side.

As great as a FB update is, you would think they would want free marketing by having meatier posts on there website. 

DrMark

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
Hi guys. I won the DTC tournament playing a Warlock. My deck was very heavy on enchantments and armor, with few creatures. The best decks I played at the con were a Priestess and two Forcemasters.

The Priestess (played by Graham) was a very solid turtle deck. The main creature was Brogan Bloodstone, supported by a few Knights of Westlock and an Angel or two. He also deployed two Temples of Bim Shalla and a Temple of Light. I was kept alive by judicious use of Deathlink. It was an extremely long match (3 hours), at the end of which I had 0 damage and he had 35-ish damage and 60 life. We drew, but if we had continued, I'm certain I would have won.

The first Forcemaster, played by Jesse, went very aggressive early. I countered by kiting and using curses. When he brought out his Thoughtspore (with dissolve), I immediately took it down with a fireball (+Fireshaper Ring). He got my battleforge with a psychic hammer. Eventually, he ran out of dissolves and dispels, and I got a Ghoul Rot on him. Meanwhile, my regrowth belt was keeping me alive. He got out an Invisible Stalker, and had it following me around, hitting me at the end of each turn. I used the reflex boots to dodge. I got out a mage wand, attached dissolve to it, and dissolved Galvitar. He got it back, recast it, and I redissolved it. After that, he stopped trying and began to run away. Eventually, the ghoul rot (plus my attacks) took their toll and he lost.

The second forcemaster, played by Phil, played more conservatively. I came to him. He got out a thoughtspore, which I attacked with a fireball and damaged for 6 life. Next turn, I ran away (mongoose agility + cheetah speed), and he got out a second spore. On the following turn, I used battleforge to get out a lash, ran up, killed the new thoughtspore with the lash, and quickcast a flameblast on the other one. I fell back again, to one of my corners; he attacked, I hit him back with 9 dice (Lash + 1 fireshaper ring + 1 gauntlets + 2 bear strength + 1 warlock ability) and hurt him badly. He changed tactics, moving away and casting hidden Hellfire traps on both zones adjacent to my corner. Next turn, I seeking dispelled one of the zones, he countered by casting a poisned cloud in my corner and walls of fire on both adjacencies. I killed the cloud with a lash attack followed by a dancing scimitar. By this time, we were both hurting pretty bad - I had about 22-ish damage and he was up around 25. He had a ghoul rot on him, and a temple out, for 1 net damage per turn. I had lost all my regen (the regrowth belt had been exploded and got the vampirism with purge magic). So, with no other options, I cast Goran, put deathlink on him, and left him in the corner (the walls of fire block line of sight, preventing the Forcemaster from mind controlling him) I came out through the walls of fire (Haberk + clock meant it was fairly painless) and attacked him. He used reverse attack to hit me back with my own lash.

At this point, we were forced to quit (the con was ending) so we had to call it a draw. I had 33 damage on me, Phil had about 28; I was healing two per upkeep and he was taking one damage. In the last turn, we were both in the same space, he had initiative (and agony). I think if we had played one more turn, I would have finished him.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:37:02 PM by DrMark »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
I like to think of myself as a major fan of Mage Wars, I have bought just about one or two of everything they have put out along with my buddy doing the same. Being tourney season, I don't expect a lot of comm's to come out from Arcane Wonders other than tourney reports from the previous weekend. I know it is a very small company and has very few FTE's, but this should be vital output during this time of year. Having a good synopsis of the meet, the types of spell books (Mage Types) and maybe a game report from the final round(s). I am very interested to see what style of play is winning and how I can make myself a better Mage Warrior :)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
BTW thanks Mark
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Paleblue

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »
Thanks for the write up Mark! Sounds like you play an interesting breed of Warlock, very curse heavy with kiting / solo melee. Its one of the reasons I like the warlock, is his different play styles.

That last Forcemaster had a bit of an odd set up with seemingly lots of out of school spells.

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Greetings to All,

First, DrMark...Congratulations on the win and thank you for the tournament recap! We appreciate it greatly.

Next, I hear what you're saying about more timely reporting. I agree that it should happen right away. Our person responsible for getting that posted was stuck in an airport yesterday. As soon as he gets home we should see the spellbook builds and rankings from Dice Tower Con.

We have several changes to be implemented prior to Gencon which should make the rest of this run smoothly.

As an additional item, during this period of website upgrade we will be implementing a tactics web page to help corral the player driven content. We hope to have it running soon. I will post a definitive due date as soon as I have it.

Thank you all for your patience and support. We are taking notes and improving how we handle the forums.

Sincerely,

John

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »
Thanks for the info Thessial

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
Two draws doesn't seem very promising from a time standpoint, especially if matches are taking 3 hours (that seems totally excessive, honestly).  Is the intention for comp play to have a standard time limit or will it fluctuate?  This distinction is pretty important because time limits affect the viability of certain ways of playing the game, and thus balance.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45:28 PM »
Thank you for your report, Mark. Congrats!
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com