April 19, 2024, 10:29:29 PM

Author Topic: OR equipment location  (Read 4763 times)

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
OR equipment location
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:28 PM »
scenario: only item I have is mage wand nominated to "off hand" location, if I then bring in an elemental wand can I choose that to come in the "offhand" slot to replace magewand even though there is an empty "main hand" slot.

related rules (p 20): if you cast an equipment in location already occupied, the original equipment is returned to owners book...............others [some equipment] may be worn in location of choice.

so I think the swap is valid I just want to make sure I am not missing.

before you ask why, some times I don't want to give the other mage the opportunity to dissolve his choice of my wands when I know I won't be using both.

additionally does a mage have to define what location his equipment is when they summon an OR. if you summon ele and mage wand. then you want to bring out a weapon (lash for example). you have to replace the item you designated to the "on hand" slot. the rules don't say you can swap item locations, you can only choose one when summoning it.
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

Master Ruprecht

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: OR equipment location
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:24:29 AM »
I think the swap is ok. As you already mentioned, the rules say you can choose for every OR item at the moment you play it, and that is your choice alone, no matter if there is something in one of the possible locations.

The same rule leads me to the conclusion, that you have to decide at the moment of polaying the card where to put it, so you couldn't swap.

So I say yes to both points   8)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
Yes use choose the location.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:05:55 PM »
thanks for the assurance
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 12:19:50 PM »

related rules (p 20): if you cast an equipment in location already occupied, the original equipment is returned to owners book...............others [some equipment] may be worn in location of choice.

This isn't exactly the same thing but I have a related question.

Scenario: I am currently wearing Leather Gloves.  My opponent is currently wearing Reflex Bracers.  I decide I want Reflex Bracers instead of Leather Gloves so I cast Steal Equipment incantation.

A.  Am I correct to assume that the Leather Gloves would go back in my spell book OR since I am not 'swapping' them for something else in MY spellbook would my Leather Gloves be destroyed?

B.  If I decide after a period of time I want to replace his Reflex Bracers with another piece of equipment, does his Reflex Bracers go back from my hand to his spellbook or would the Reflex Bracers be destroyed?

Since the rule states "the original equipment is returned to the owner's book" I wasn't sure how that worked.  If it was always returned to the book or if there are cases (other than you can't legally equip the equip) that the equip is destroyed rather than returned.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:22:14 PM by cbalian »

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »

Scenario: I am currently wearing Leather Gloves.  My opponent is currently wearing Reflex Bracers.  I decide I want Reflex Bracers instead of Leather Gloves so I cast Steal Equipment incantation.

A.  Am I correct to assume that the Leather Gloves would go back in my spell book OR since I am not 'swapping' them for something else in MY spellbook would my Leather Gloves be destroyed?

B.  If I decide after a period of time I want to replace his Reflex Bracers with another piece of equipment, does his Reflex Bracers go back from my hand to his spellbook or would the Reflex Bracers be destroyed?

Since the rule states "the original equipment is returned to the owner's book" I wasn't sure how that worked.  If it was always returned to the book or if there are cases (other than you can't legally equip the equip) that the equip is destroyed rather than returned.

First, I'm going to assume you mean Deflection Bracers.

A. The answer to this is actually written on the card Steal Equipment itself. "You may immediately destroy it; Or, if you can legally attach it to yourself, you may do so, returning any item in that location slot to your spellbook."

B. "The original equipment is returned to the owners book." The word owner is important here. The owner of the card is the player that brought that card to the game, so if you replace that particular equipment, it would return to the book of the opposing player.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 02:05:04 PM »

First, I'm going to assume you mean Deflection Bracers.

A. The answer to this is actually written on the card Steal Equipment itself. "You may immediately destroy it; Or, if you can legally attach it to yourself, you may do so, returning any item in that location slot to your spellbook."

B. "The original equipment is returned to the owners book." The word owner is important here. The owner of the card is the player that brought that card to the game, so if you replace that particular equipment, it would return to the book of the opposing player.

Congrats on your first sticker. :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 02:18:06 PM »
Yep I meant Deflection Bracer, sorry was getting it confused with the boots.

Thanks, I was kind of hoping I would have the option to destroy his Bracer when I replaced it rather than it be returned to him after I stole it, but that makes sense that he would get his Bracer back that I previously stole.  I didn't end up replacing it after I stole it from him, but good to know for next time in case it comes up.  Thanks.