April 25, 2024, 11:55:38 PM

Author Topic: Upkeep question  (Read 12070 times)

HealingAura

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Upkeep question
« on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:10 PM »
An opponent has a living creature with 1 health left. My Warlock has 1 health left.
I have an Idol of Pestilence in one of the zones (during the upkeep phase, each living creature receives 11 point of direct damage).
The creature with 1 health left has Death Link face up attached to it (each upkeep phase, the controller of Death Link may heal up to 2 damage from his Mage and place it on this creature as direct damage, regardless of distance or LoS).

What is the order of resolving these effects?
If Death Link resolves first then the enemy creature will die and my Warlock will be at 1 hp left. If Idol of Pestilence resolves first then both the enemy creature and my Warlock will die.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »
I -think- you get to choose the order because they are at same time and you control both, so you get to decide what happens when, but Im a little fuzzy on the same time rules.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:13:52 AM »
What would happen then if Death lock and Idol of pestilence are not controlled by the same player?

Thanks in advance!
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:37:02 AM »
Not an official answer in any way, but I suspect whomever has initiative would get to decide the order. At least in the case where they were controlled by different players.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:43:47 AM »
The owner of the creature who is susceptible to effects during the upkeep phase decides the order for all effects regardless of who put the effects into play.

HealingAura

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
"each upkeep phase, the controller of Death Link may heal up to 2 damage from his Mage..."
my mage is a creature so I get to choose if I want to healed first or be dealt 1 damage

"...and place it on this creature as direct damage, regardless of distance or LoS."

the opponent chooses that his creature will to dealt damage by IoP first.

so I heal and then dealt damage. and the enemy creature is dealt damage by IoP only. correct?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 07:17:53 AM »
"each upkeep phase, the controller of Death Link may heal up to 2 damage from his Mage..."
my mage is a creature so I get to choose if I want to healed first or be dealt 1 damage

"...and place it on this creature as direct damage, regardless of distance or LoS."

so I heal and then dealt damage. and the enemy creature is dealt damage by IoP only. correct?

Im not sure how Death link acts during upkeep phase.

I would like an official response on when the creature is damaged. When the warlock (darkmage) resolves Deathlink or do the creature owner still get to trigger other effects such as regeneration even if the warlock has initiative?

The effect for Death link is different than idol of pestilence is because it Works for both mages and only if the owner choose to let it resolve.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:19:59 AM by jacksmack »

Hale_32bit

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
"If mage dies, continue play until the end of that phase. If all remaining mages die before the end of phase, the game is draw."
From official FAQ.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
"If mage dies, continue play until the end of that phase. If all remaining mages die before the end of phase, the game is draw."
From official FAQ.

Im talking about a creature with low hp that will DIE from death link if the owner cannot kick in the regenerate before Death Link takes effect.

HealingAura

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »

Im not sure how Death link acts during upkeep phase.

I would like an official response on when the creature is damaged. When the warlock (darkmage) resolves Deathlink or do the creature owner still get to trigger other effects such as regeneration even if the warlock has initiative?

The effect for Death link is different than idol of pestilence is because it Works for both mages and only if the owner choose to let it resolve.
How do I get an official response?

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »
an answer from shadow would be official.  but in my estimation here is how it would go down.

this response is based off of the rule "the owner of a creature chooses when effects happen to it during upkeep"

Warlock- i choose to heal the 2 damage from deathlink.  i then take the 1 damage from the idol.

deathlinked creature with regenerate- i choose to regenerate first since it will save my life, then i take the 2 damage from deathlink, then i take 1 from the idol.

the owner of the deathlinked creature could also do this if he choose

deathlinked creature with regenerate- if im at full health i can choose to take the 2 damage from deathlink, then regenerate, then take the 1 damage from idol.  whichever would leave me with the most health at the end i can do them in any order.

i should also note if the owner of the creature WANTS it to die for some reason. he can choose an order that will cause the creature to die is it his option.

Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:34:48 PM »
an answer from shadow would be official.  but in my estimation here is how it would go down.

this response is based off of the rule "the owner of a creature chooses when effects happen to it during upkeep"

Warlock- i choose to heal the 2 damage from deathlink.  i then take the 1 damage from the idol.

deathlinked creature with regenerate- i choose to regenerate first since it will save my life, then i take the 2 damage from deathlink, then i take 1 from the idol.

the owner of the deathlinked creature could also do this if he choose

deathlinked creature with regenerate- if im at full health i can choose to take the 2 damage from deathlink, then regenerate, then take the 1 damage from idol.  whichever would leave me with the most health at the end i can do them in any order.

i should also note if the owner of the creature WANTS it to die for some reason. he can choose an order that will cause the creature to die is it his option.
Rulebook V2 PG:7
You always choose the order in which events that affect your creatures and objects occur during this phase. In the rare case that a timing issue occurs, the player with the initiative decides the order.

Example:
You control a Highland Unicorn with the Regenerate 2 trait that has a Burn marker on it. Since the creature has a lot of damage on it, the Burn effect could destroy it. You can choose to resolve the Regenerate trait first,  before the Burn effect.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

HealingAura

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 05:41:08 AM »
Death Link makes it a bit confusing to resolve the upkeep effect.

It creates two separate effects on two different creatures (the warlock and the enemy creature) - it heals the warlock and only then deals damage to the creature according to the amount healed.

If I understand it correctly, then the result depends on who is has initiative.

If the warlock has initiative:
1) Warlock at 1 hp, enemy creature at 1 hp
2) Death Link resolves: Warlock at 3 hp, enemy creature dies
3) IoP resolves: Warlock at 2 hp

If the opponent has initiative:
2) IoP resolves: Warlock dies, enemy creature dies

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 05:05:54 PM »
Death Link makes it a bit confusing to resolve the upkeep effect.

It creates two separate effects on two different creatures (the warlock and the enemy creature) - it heals the warlock and only then deals damage to the creature according to the amount healed.

If I understand it correctly, then the result depends on who is has initiative.

If the warlock has initiative:
2) Death Link resolves: Warlock at 3 hp, enemy creature dies
3) IoP resolves: Warlock at 2 hp

If the opponent has initiative:
2) IoP resolves: Warlock dies, enemy creature dies

Based on the rulebook wording I believe you are correct.

nitrodavid

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
    • East Coast Hobbies
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 12:43:53 AM »
from the rule book p7 where it says "you choose the order for effects for creatures you control".

since you control the warlock even if other player has initiative you can pick the order that stuff effects you warlock. that's what the rules sound like
Being Aussie we place all our cards face down, apart from enchantments which are face up