September 28, 2024, 06:32:08 PM

Author Topic: rules clarifircation with daze + battlefury  (Read 6160 times)

Matt.dog

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
rules clarifircation with daze + battlefury
« on: June 07, 2013, 11:24:27 AM »
 Hi everyone, I've been following the forums here for rules and tips etc for awhile and finally have a question i couldn't answer with 100% Certainty.  Playing my fiancee last night she hail of stones and dazed my unicorn pet and cervere cat my creatures killing her (saved her for a turn) but my unicorn pet failed the attack check ..i moved on to cervere whom i quick casted battle fury on at  with my mage prior to hail of stones..

So i know battle fury counts as 2 separate attacks. I played it safe and after failing 1st daze check to just end my turn, since i didn't know whether failing to do the first attack prohibited the 2nd. 
So was i supposed to attack again?
Do i re-check for daze? Our did daze get removed after first attack? (logically i think out world be  after entire action phase
 is done.

Thanks everyone

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
Re: rules clarifircation with daze + battlefury
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:50:26 AM »
Hey Matt.dog, welcome to the forums!

Battle fury does count as two separate attacks.  As soon as you complete the initial attack, you begin a new attack sequence for the 2nd attack.  Failing to hit on the first attack (due to daze) does not prohibit the 2nd attack from taking place...although you're still dazed, and must make the daze check a 2nd time for that attack as well.

Hope that helps.
Si vis pacem para bellum

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 01:43:14 AM »
From the rulebook:

"Creature is disoriented and/or blinded. Whenever this
creature makes an attack, roll the effect die."
"Remove daze after acting."

Since it is whenever you make an attack, you must roll for each attack, as paradox22 pointed out. You only remove daze after acting. In your case you would not be finished acting until you finished the attack granted by Battle Fury.

I am not 100% positive, but I think the same applies to a dazed creature with doublestrike or triplestrike. In other words, I assume that a dazed creature with doublestrike would roll for daze twice and a dazed creature with triplestrike would roll for daze three times. I can't say for sure because I haven't been in this situation.
"See you space cowboy..."

ThePoPGod

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 06:06:21 AM »
This is the problem I'm having in my post as well. In the rules under Attack Ends it says:

"Once any defending counterstrike is complete, the attack is
over. If the attacker is using an attack with the Sweeping
trait, or if this is a Zone Attack, make the additional attacks
now (starting with Step 1: Declare Attack). If not, the
attacking creature’s Action Phase is over.

Since this is the end of the attacker’s Action Phase, you will
now resolve any conditions on it (such as removing a Daze
or Stun marker)."

If that is the case then before the second attack with Battle Fury starts then Daze is gone, unless Battle Fury goes off at the same time Sweeping and Zone Attacks go off. If it does go off during this phase though, why does it also get attack boosts from cards like Bear Strength, Hand of Bim-Shalla, etc.?

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
The attack granted by battle fury does gain those bonuses as it is a separate attack and not part of a double or triplestrike.

Matt.dog

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
 Thanks all. Noticed the other post after i posted. Which wasn't there when i searched and then decided to register and all the question.

ThePoPGod

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 03:33:58 PM »
So then it doesn't have to go through daze?

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »
PoP: you check both times for Daze.

ThePoPGod

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
Why? An attack happened. Then a new attack starts. After an attack you remove Daze. I don't get why this cards ability allows for extra dice in the attack if when it goes off your attack is over. It should either get get extra dice but Daze is removed, or Daze stays but the dies go away. I would like an office rules post about this.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »
Because the Daze counter doesn't get removed when the creature finishes an attack. It get removed when his action phase ends and his action phase doesn't end until after the extra attack granted by Battle Fury.

paradox22

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • MOKAN Mage Wars
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 12:21:16 AM »
Wizpig is correct
Si vis pacem para bellum

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 02:19:10 PM »
Sorry to re-open this topic, but how does sweeping come into play here? It is considered a "Multiple Attack" just like Double or Triplestrike, but there is some contradictory wording.

First of all, Daze states that "whenever this creature makes an attack..." which immediately implies that sweeping, doublestrike, triplestrike, and counterstrike would all have separate rolls because they are all attacks.

Also, I have read quotes from the codex such as this:

Creature is disoriented and/or blinded. Whenever this creature makes an attack, roll the effect die at the end of the Declare Attack Step. If the result is 7 or higher, the attack is resolved normally. If the result is 6 or less, the attack “misses” its target and skips to Step 5 of the attack sequence (Additional Strikes). If it makes a Zone Attack, only check once: the entire attack either fails or succeeds normally. If a creature has more than one Daze on it, roll only one time to see if the creature misses. In addition, the Dazed creature suffers a -2 penalty to all Defense rolls for each Daze marker it has. All Daze markers are removed at the end of the creature’s Action Phase. Daze has a removal cost of 2. Conjurations cannot be Dazed.

My personal codex does not have the bold quote in it regarding skipping to step 5. If one were to skip to step 5, then sweeping would be superseded and fizzle, but this does seem right to me. Is sweeping handled similar to Battle Fury, and based on the wording, aren't all attacks of any kind subject to an individual Daze roll?

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:16:56 PM »
First of all, Daze states that "whenever this creature makes an attack..." which immediately implies that sweeping, doublestrike, triplestrike, and counterstrike would all have separate rolls because they are all attacks.

Also, I have read quotes from the codex such as this:

Creature is disoriented and/or blinded. Whenever this creature makes an attack, roll the effect die at the end of the Declare Attack Step. If the result is 7 or higher, the attack is resolved normally. If the result is 6 or less, the attack “misses” its target and skips to Step 5 of the attack sequence (Additional Strikes). If it makes a Zone Attack, only check once: the entire attack either fails or succeeds normally. If a creature has more than one Daze on it, roll only one time to see if the creature misses. In addition, the Dazed creature suffers a -2 penalty to all Defense rolls for each Daze marker it has. All Daze markers are removed at the end of the creature’s Action Phase. Daze has a removal cost of 2. Conjurations cannot be Dazed.

My personal codex does not have the bold quote in it regarding skipping to step 5. If one were to skip to step 5, then sweeping would be superseded and fizzle, but this does seem right to me. Is sweeping handled similar to Battle Fury, and based on the wording, aren't all attacks of any kind subject to an individual Daze roll?

Sweeping states: "...Start a new attack with the Declare Attack Step..."

Double and Triplestrike state: "...these/this attack(s) occur during the Additional Strikes Step."

Step 5 Additional Strikes states: "...each additional strike is resolved, one at a time, following these 3 steps: Avoid Attack, Roll Dice, Damage and Effects."

Daze States: "This is normally done at the end of the Declare Attack Step, but if the attack skips that step, then roll as soon as the attack begins."

You do check for every separate attack regardless of how that attack is initiated while a creature is dazed.

As for skipping to Step 5 making Sweeping fizzle, I don't think that is true. Sweeping states: "The second attack occurs at the end of the attack sequence from the first attack. Start a new sequence beginning with the Declare attack Step."

So you should if affected by daze, skip to step 5 then finish the attack sequence and then start a new one.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:24:36 PM by Wiz-Pig »

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:06:23 AM »
So does Daze supersede sweeping? Are you sure you would roll for sweeping before skipping to additional?

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
The second attack when sweeping occurs after the completion of the first attack, so no, daze does not stop the second attack from occurring unless you fail your daze roll on the second attack.