April 29, 2024, 11:01:02 AM

Author Topic: For those who have the game...  (Read 4695 times)

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
For those who have the game...
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:11:09 PM »
For those of you who have purchased the game already, how much product do you need to buy in order to maximize your ability to customize your spell book?  Just one core set and one of the core spell tome boxes?  Or do you need more than one core spell tome?

Thanks for any responses.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: For those who have the game...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:15:00 PM »
it depends on what type of deck you want.  if you want a deck based around the priestess temples, or the beastmaster totems....  there is 1 each of those in the core set and 1 each in the spell tomes.  in order to max out to 4 you would need 3 spell tomes.  however if you are looking for something not in the core spell tome, like if you wanted 4 knights of westlock for your priestess deck you would need two base sets. (2 each)

however im sure some of these harder to find cards will be available in other sets as well if your patient.  but if you wanted them now thats what i would say to do.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:23:10 PM »
Yeah, I was afraid it was going to be multiple core sets.  That sucks.  I want the ability to make any spell book I can legally make depending on what I feel like doing.  I don't like the idea of feeling like I can't include the maximum number of copies of a certain spell that I like simply because it's only in the core set.  

I was hoping that the core spell tomes would basically be another copy of the same spells from the base game, but I guess not.  

It seems like this game is a bit expensive if you want to have full access to your spell book building options.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:30:01 PM »
I personally have 4 copies of the game two that I bought out of pocket. But I always over do things. :P I think I own 1/3 of the copies our store has sold since release. :P My idea of moderation is buying all of Arkham Horror and sleeving it in the same day.

I have been told I have a tendency to over do things.

I would also say that Klax is correct and we will include cards from back sets is future releases so keep that in mind.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:01:53 PM »
also they do plan to have more spell tomes of different types so if your patient you could fill out your collection that way.  also keep in mind some spells are unique and while you can have 4 in your deck, you may not want or need 4.

also its pretty easy as long as you sleave your cards to proxy some up untill you can get everything you need.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
Also have you see this thread , Proxies are OK as long as they are not used in sanctioned event and league play.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
Well, proxies are a no go for me, I'm a stickler like that :)  Thank you though!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »
Well I have found its the best way to playtest new builds if you do not have two full playsets of every card.

The reason I would say two sets is because even the mirror match should be playtested.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:16 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see a strong secondary market creep up in this game. I already found one seller. Give it some time, and I think you'll eventually be able to grab anything you're looking for without having to shell out for entire expansions. That said, yeah, this game is pretty expensive, but it's ok, too, because if you teach someone to play, and then explain that if he gets a core set you will both be able to customize your decks more, I think it's easier to get people to buy the game rather than just mooching off your card pool (which happens with a lot of games I play...generally one person in my group will buy a game and then we all play that person's copy...I think this is probably true of a lot of groups).

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
You are correct finding people willing to split copies with you is a great way to expand the card pool.