April 27, 2024, 04:20:42 AM

Author Topic: New Boards  (Read 6328 times)

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
New Boards
« on: May 14, 2013, 09:03:54 AM »
I was wondering if there are any plans for new boards coming out. The main reason I'm asking is because it would make it much easier to play multiplayer games. With the new expansion coming out that would make 8 mages and it would be awesome if 6-8 player games were possible.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: New Boards
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
A game for 8 players with 4 boards???? Would be fantastic, but i think it´s very slow for that.

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
I was thinking you would have the tiles from the game board but they are cut out so then you would be able to make the board out of them. The advantage with this is the board can be different shapes and sizes, it could accommodate for multiplayer or just make the game more challenging.

Godofzombies

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »
I was wondering, if u would consider instead of using a cardboard board, to print the gameboard on one or more playmat(s).
This is because mage wars is very easy to take with you, a few spellbooks and a bag full of tokens and dice... It all fits neatly into your average backpack. Except the board... Especially if you (like me) like to keep it in good condition. Now a playmat you can just roll up and cram it in without worries.

Maybe something for a next large expansion? Keep up the good work!

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 01:09:19 AM »
I think anything more than 6 players is going to take too long unless you take measures to speed up the rate of gameplay.

I would like a triangle shaped arena with triangle shaped zones for 3 person matches, as well as a game variant of 2 vs. 1 that is fair. (1 vs. 1 vs. 1 doesn't work at all... just makes the game waaay too political.)
"See you space cowboy..."

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:18 AM »
What kind of measures would you use to speed up the game?

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 11:28:23 AM »
What kind of measures would you use to speed up the game?

Double everybody's channeling and give each mage an extra action marker, cut everyone's total life in half, I don't know... you can get creative. Team games tend to go faster than every-man-for-himself games and are more enjoyable too. I would estimate that a 3 vs. 3 match could take at least 2 hours.
"See you space cowboy..."

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 05:05:48 PM »
I doesn't really make sense for them to sell stuff like this. I mean you could use basically anything as a board and how many of their players are actually going to buy alternate boards. If they do end up implementing 4 player rules, maybe at that point, but whose to say that they won't do so in a way that fits on the standard board.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
I agree, a lot of what people want from AW can be done at home.

IMO their to do list should be to focus on sales, tournaments, and increasing the player base as much as possible, otherwise new products are useless when there isn't anyone to sell them to.
Ipsa Scentia Potestes Est

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
But if they come out with new products to sell it would accomdate to more people thus making their market base larger.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:20 AM »
But if they come out with new products to sell it would accomdate to more people thus making their market base larger.

Not necessarily, too many products scares ppl away as a money sink. There is a new question from new ppl asking about the cost of getting in, which is low, but with a new pack in September, there will be a core + FM/WL + Kumamjaro + Druid/Necro.  That gets to be a lot to buy. And I won't quit, as long as there are tournaments to play in.

Terrazas

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 06:23:55 AM »
But you don't need the expansions to play just the core and if you wanted to you could pick chose which expansions to buy if your on a budget.

Texan85

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Game Free, or Die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:58 AM »
But you don't need the expansions to play just the core and if you wanted to you could pick chose which expansions to buy if your on a budget.

But you are ignoring the psychological component, we are in a time of MTG, Yugioh, and even LCGs with FFG are to the point where catching up is a mOney drop, and if you honestly think ppl won't just embrace ignorance and assume that they are too far behind to catch up. That's just human behavior, and I'd argue that is why they are not flooding out with new content.  Honestly they don't even have a tournament season going yet, and there is tons of content out already.