April 27, 2024, 02:27:20 AM

Author Topic: Warlock - Double Battle Forge  (Read 7477 times)

Awkward

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Warlock - Double Battle Forge
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
Hey guys
One day I realised that playing Warlock solo build rellying on equipment and curses + offensive spells would be really nice. Combination with two forges, swapping rings + mage wands and generally more having more possibilities to cast spells than the opponent is kinda cool.
However, then a very bad thing came to my mind - all equipment has a range of 2. So, I can't put the battle forges closely to my starting position and rush the opponent, because I won't be able to cast the equipment.
How do you deal with it? Is it hard to secure the forges in the middle of the field? Maybe you had similar thoughts and got another answer?

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Warlock - Double Battle Forge
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »
If you want to do a solo Battleforge rush you can run forward 2 zones and cast Battleforge in the far center. That will allow the Battleforge to reach you in any zone on your opponent's starting half of the map as well as where you are at the end of round 1. You can consider using Cheetah Speed with your quickcast round one so that you can rush forward while buffing yourself.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Awkward

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
This is exactly what I have been thinking of, Cheetah Speed would be a very nice addition. What about the second one? Is it necessary? In fact I considered using Harmonize on one of the Forges in order to equip my Warlock even faster.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
I feel like theres more mileage out of one Battleforge that has a Harmoinze on it rather than two Battleforges.

I tried to run 2 at the same time in a build a long time ago.. While it does give you 2 Equips a turn while leaving your actions open, I just didnt have enough mana to support equipping out of both forges and to be able to cast spells and such.  Once you use up the cheap stuff like Rings and Gauntlets its too much out of pocket mana to get the other stuff on you from multiple sources a turn.

One forge plus Harmonize helps take the bite off your Equip costs and actions while leaving you with enough flexibility to support yourself in other ways.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »
I'd rather use a Harmonized Battleforge than 2 Battleforges, but I usually don't even bother with the Harmonize.

Awkward

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 02:01:37 PM »
Until turn 3, I will for sure be able to catch the opponent's Mage and will not be able to use my full action to cast a spell. Therefore, I will have only my quickcast left to cast damage spells or buffs like Piercing Strike from the Mage Wand. I believe that there are around 8 or 9 different things which can be equipped.
Having it in mind, is one forge still enough? It would be really nice to change both weapon and ring at the same time in order to have more flexibility.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:55:21 PM »
I tried it.....didnt work for me at all.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 12:06:02 AM »
I haven't tried it, but 2 forges is just too expensive. Besides that, 2 forges will run out of things to do in just a few turns. You don't have the mana generation to support the more expensive equipment, cast something from the other forge, and use your quickcast, and there are only 4-5 cheap equipment cards you'll want to cast. You'll cover the cheap equipment in 2 turns with double Battleforge, and then not be able to support the mana to use your forges productively. It's better to use that mana you could spend on the second Battleforge on a creature or buffing yourself with an enchantment. That's my analysis of the problems with double Battleforge anyway.

goofy

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 12:06:31 AM »
U don't need two of them . I would cut the Cruse all out . U could make him come to u bye throwing some fire ball at them or teleport them to u . Or push them to u . Me personal I play 2 mama Cristal on first turn and battle forge and the mama chain . ( forgot the name ) then u all set . I would salon wait to I have everything on before I live . I also run more then one copy of the stuff that they want to dissolve

Awkward

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 05:22:24 AM »
Thank you guys for help. Now I started to think about replacing one of the forges with Mana Crystal. It would give me one more mana and should help in costing more expensive stuff. However, is it worth putting it in and keeping in mind that my strategy is to kill the opponent as soon as possible? Isn't it a lose of time or?

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »
I love battle forge....I hate using my quick cast/action for boots or a ring.....
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:09:27 PM »
If you want to play an extremely aggressive Warlock, play at least one big creature, whether Lord of Fire, Necropian Vampiress, Goran, or Dark Pact Slayer Blood Reaper. After getting a big creature down, you can use Battleforge to buff yourself. Mana Crystals are not generally going to be worth it if you're trying to end the game as soon as possible.

Awkward

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 02:30:10 PM »
I read bunch of topics connected with getting one big creature out (very famous Lord of Terror build) and this is for sure a very interesting idea, but I was thinking strictly about the strategy with Warlock and no one else.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
Double Battle Forge is usually going to be a waste. That's 16 mana in the early game, which is a large enough mana investment that you won't be able to attack early. For 12-16 Mana, the other guy could play a Gorgon Archer, Knight of Westlock, Iron Golem, Vampiress, or Forcefield, which is far better at defending him than your extra equipment is at attacking.

There are very few circumstances where you really need to play 2 equipment cards in a single round. If you're playing 1 equipment per round, you can get 3 equipments out by Round 4. (this is when aggressive builds generally start rolling damage dice) That's enough for a Lash of Hellfire, Gauntlets of Strength, and a Demonhide Armor at a total mana cost of 8+8+3+8 = 27, which leaves you just enough Mana for valuable cards like Battlefury or Nullify. (always play a nullify, or your gear will get dissolved right away)

The most effective solo equipment-centric Mages are Forcemaster and Warlord (FM because of galvitar and forcefield; Warlord because he can use helm of command to Battle Fury or Whirling Strike every single round)

NerdGuy

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
I have been fiddling around with a similar Warlock concept.  I started with 2 Battleforges, but I think I only used both in one game out of six;  there was just too many other spells I wanted/needed to cast instead.