March 28, 2024, 07:07:46 AM

Author Topic: Clarification over Familiar pest?  (Read 9659 times)

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Clarification over Familiar pest?
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:54:39 AM »
hello, the last game, my frienda and i wondering if there are any rule that said if you have a familiar pest and you use teleport you go with your familiar, because i believe it´s ridicoluis if you have a familiar cat in the same zone (above your shoulders) you go and your familiar fall XD.

I would like that designers in the next faq do a rule that said p.e. when you teleport and your familiar creature are in the same zone as you , you can pay the level of the familiar and teleport with it.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification over Familiar pest?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
Hello isel,

Unfortunately there is no such rule at this time.  

However, you inspired us! We are looking for abilities for our new alternate Wizard, and I will add this to the her list of abilities we are testing. It will allow her to transport her owl or raven familiair with her when she teleports.

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=11682
Hello isel,

Unfortunately there is no such rule at this time.  

However, you inspired us! We are looking for abilities for our new alternate Wizard, and I will add this to the her list of abilities we are testing. It will allow her to transport her owl or raven familiair with her when she teleports.

Noooooooo  :)  I/we were hoping for some slightly more useful abilities! Stick to the previous list, nothing to see here.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=11682
owl familiar

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

I love owls.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:59:36 PM »
Ha!  No worries guys - that is a minor or secondary ability at best.

So, does anyone have any ideas for her owl familiar Osutra?  What would you like to see it do?

Also, the new Beastmaster has a pet hunting falcon, Skree. Please share your thoughts!

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »
Allow the wizard to cast incantations, enchantments, and attack spells from the owl familiars zone as the point of origin.

The casting range on the falcon is 0-2 instead of the normal 0-0. It has the Flying, Fast, Elusive, and Charge 1 traits. And of course, it's attack is unavoidable, it does have the precision of a falcon after all.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
Let one of them summon a familiar for the Holy mages to use, since holy still has none while everyone else seems to be getting their second.

Im just messing... but hopefully theres a holy one lined up down the road somewhere.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=11699

So, does anyone have any ideas for her owl familiar Osutra?  What would you like to see it do?

Also, the new Beastmaster has a pet hunting falcon, Skree. Please share your thoughts!

Beastmaster do need a familiar that can do:

[ul]
  [li] range attack (i.e. attack spells)[/li]
  [li] or better yet the falcon is flying sky high so the bird can notify fellow creatures to help the mage.[/li]
[/ul]

You may also represent "getting help" by the falcon/owl to use 1 mana to move a friendly animal one space away in a direction of the owners mage discretion and 4 mana to move up to 2 animals up to 2 spaces instead. In essence, scout for help or search for allys.

During my play testing with the Beastmaster, he always needs help in positioning his animals to properly attack. Helps the Beastmaster in positioning his attacks.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=11702
Let one of them summon a familiar for the Holy mages to use, since holy still has none while everyone else seems to be getting their second.

Im just messing... but hopefully theres a holy one lined up down the road somewhere.

I used to think holy needed a familiar, but now I'm not sure it fits the theme. I'd like to see holy get something different, a guardian perhaps. Stats like a Knight of Westlock, without the defense. It would be non- living so it couldn't be healed, always on guard against melee attacks vs the Mage, can't attack, moves with the Mage, and epic.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »
Osutra (owl) could have ability which allows her to take back used spell and put it to the her owner's spell book (probably with some restrictions).

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
Quote from: "krj" post=11706
Osutra (owl) could have ability which allows her to take back used spell and put it to the her owner's spell book (probably with some restrictions).

And this would be an OP card (over powered). My reasons: I planned exactly when to dispel or counter their enchants (forcefield) then you are telling me that there is a way to bring it back?

Last time I heard from another card game - Monster Reborn was banned..(or was that change of heart?) - nevermind. I play mage wars so long with all the counters and adding it again in the game may be too strong. But that is just me. Our normal game play here is like 3 hours long with all the counters and anticipating of when to counter what card.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »
It could be restricted to one type of spell (for example incantations) and some level (1-2). Owl always can be killed. It also for example could be able to add spell only if is in the same zone as Mage which controls her.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=11699

Osutra and Skree!  Neat.

Hm...

Osutra: Owls seem more contemplative than ravens, so give her a way to "meditate" and channel more mana as a full action.  Can cast lvl 1-2 incantation spells only and give her the "teleport beacon" ability.

Skree:  Let her "mark" her target and increase further damage to it for the next successful attack against the target, sort of like a "rending talons" effect.  Flying, Fast, Elusive.  Maybe give her a bonus against flying creatures, since falcons are known to be pretty good at kill other birds.

And on the lack of a Holy familiar, there already is one...kind of. Clerics are about as close to a familiar as you can get without actually being one, so I assume that's why there isn't a Holy familiar.  Still, it would be nice to have one, just to be fair...maybe something like this:

Anchorite Aelfric, The Peace of Asyra (12 mana)

Channeling: 1

Health: ?

Armor: ?

Quick Action Melee Attack (staff): 2 Dice, Effect die = Daze on 7+

Aelfric may cast level 1-2 Holy spells

When an enemy creature makes a melee or ranged attack against a friendly Holy creature or conjuration in the same zone as Aelfric, its controller must pay 2 mana or that attack is cancelled.

What do you guys think of that as a Holy familiar?
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 11:04:24 PM »
Osutra: Isn't this a bit close to Oscuda, the AoE poison cloud skunk?

Thematically speaking: Owls are not powerful spellcasters like Ravens, rather they are highly reliable and durable messengers. Therefore I think it should have the following abilities:

9 Mana, 8 Health, 1 Armor, 0 Channeling
Animal, Familiar, Flying, Regenerate 1
Peck (quick attack): 2 melee dice
Osutra may only cast non-Epic level 1-2 Incantations.
Owl's Message (special ability): When the Mage casts an Incantation, she may choose to use Osutra's range and Line of Sight instead of her own. When Osutra casts an Incantation, it may choose to use the Mage's range and Line of Sight instead of its own. This ability cannot be used while Osutra is Incapacitated.

-----
Skree: Skree should be able to unavoidably instakill low health creatures, swooping out of the sky to destroy them. This would make her a powerful counter to Ferret and Bobcat type creatures, as well as most Familiars.

11 Mana, 9 Health, 1 Armor
Animal, Bird, Flying, Fast
Diving Talons (quick attack): 4 melee dice, Unavoidable
Flawless Precision (special ability): When Skree declares an attack, her controller may choose to deal fixed damage instead of rolling dice. If so, skip the "Roll Dice" step of the attack and apply 2 Normal damage and 2 Critical damage during "Damage and Effects".

-----
Note that this ability is weak against Armor (2 armor reliably halves the damage), but is completely unaffected by Aegis, Agony, or Dawnbreaker Temples. It is also unaffected by Bear Strength.

Lightseed

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 12:46:30 AM »
Osutra: for a quick action gives the mage the ability to either swap places with oustra or use osutra as seeing through her eyes and beeing able to cast 1 spell using the quick cast marker only. Osutra should have a scream atack of 2 dice and slow effect with d12.

Skree: He is a hunter, he should be able to place a token of "target" on an enemy any1 who atacks that enemy gets +1 die roll. that efect can be on only 1 creature. See this as him focusing on one prey, also he must be in range of 0-1 to his target or else the efect is lost. Skree must stay close to his pray to be able to hunt him down at the right time.