April 28, 2024, 06:14:13 PM

Author Topic: Battle Forge: My play is bad and I should feel bad  (Read 4845 times)

zaprowsdower

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Battle Forge: My play is bad and I should feel bad
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »
I am a newbie player, I've only played a few times. I like the Warlock, I've used him twice and lost both times. The card that mystifies me is Battle Forge. Are most players using it to cast cheap items, like Leather Gloves or fireshaper Ring? Or are you waiting around for it to cast Lash of Hellfire or Helm of Fear? So far it hasn't done much of anything for me. It may just be that I'm too impatient to wait 10 turns for it to cast something. I do have a tendency to get Helm of Fear and Lash on then charge right at the enemy. It could be I'm waiting too long, but in one game my son was playing Beastmaster and before Battle Forge did anything him and his portable zoo were in my face. Any thoughts are welcome, just passing time at work.
BTW best game I've played in years, I absolutely love it. I can't even play any other boardgames now because they pale in comparison to the greatness of Mage Wars!

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Battle Forge: My play is bad and I should feel bad
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »
You don't need to wait until you have all the required Mana to pay for the item. You can use the Mana from Battle Forge to just supplement the cost of a piece of equipment. Or Harmonize it and then wait a turn or two to build more mana to make equipment even cheaper.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:26:39 PM »
Rules v2 pg:16
Spawnpoints
Conjurations with the Spawnpoint trait have the ability to cast spells for you. You select spells for your
Spawnpoints during the Planning Phase, at the same time that you choose spells for your Mage to prepare (one additional spell for each Spawnpoint). Usually, the Spawnpoint can only cast certain types of spells, as listed on the Spawnpoint’s card. Place the spell face down near your Spawnpoint, and tell your opponent that it is the Spawnpoint’s spell. Only your Spawnpoint may cast that spell during the round. During the Deployment Phase, both players may cast these assigned spells, starting with the player who has the initiative. If you cast your spell, pay the casting costs and resolve the spell. If you do not (or cannot) cast the spell, it returns to your spellbook at the beginning of the next Planning Phase. If a Spawnpoint is destroyed, any spell still assigned to it is also destroyed.
Most Spawnpoints also have a Channeling attribute, which means that they produce their own mana
during the Channel Phase. Track the Spawnpoint’s mana with mana counters. Spawnpoints cast spells the same way your Mage does, using the target and range shown on the spell. Always count range from the Spawnpoint (instead of your Mage). The Spawnpoint must spend its own mana first (by removing mana counters). If the Spawnpoint does not have enough mana to cast the spell, you must pay the difference from your Mage’s Mana Supply. You control all spells cast by your Spawnpoints.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

zaprowsdower

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
Holy crap I missed that sentence! Ok, now I get it. I didn't realize the Mage can pay mana for part of the spawn point's spell. Thanks!

malgor

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »
now go forth and show your son the meaning of pain!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
The usurpers to your local arena title must be overthrown.  Regardless of your relationship. :P
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage