May 01, 2024, 08:52:02 AM

Author Topic: Enchantment Cast/Reveal/Range/LOS  (Read 4070 times)

leornere

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Enchantment Cast/Reveal/Range/LOS
« on: April 08, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
Feel free to direct me to a different post. I looked but couldn't find anything covering it.

The friend I play with and I are having a debate over this issue. I hope someone can clear it up for us.

My understanding:
Enchantments have two phases: Cast and Trigger/Reveal.

-The Cast phase has to take into consideration validity of target, LOS, range, and casting mana cost.
-The Reveal phase has to take into consideration trigger (if any), reveal mana cost, and the consequences/choices of the reveal.

What that means to me is if I cast Block (range of 0-2) and then the creature moves a third zone away, when the trigger happens and I must reveal the enchantment I can still pay the mana cost and use block. It doesn't destroy because it is out of the casting range(because it has already been cast) . Same idea with LOS.

Dug around rules v1, rules v2, FAQ, and the forums. My friend's opinion is that if you move out of the range of the enchantment it destroys if you reveal unless you get back into range or back into LOS.

Help us out here! :)

Thanks!

zaprowsdower

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Enchantment Cast/Reveal/Range/LOS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »
I think you are correct and your friend is wrong. I don't see anything in rules or the FAQ that suggest his version.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:46:40 PM »
Once you successfully cast an enchantment it doesn't matter where you are in the arena relative to the enchantment when it is revealed.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:51:36 PM »
Range only applies to casting unless otherwise stated.  :)
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

leornere

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
THANK YOU ALL!!

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=10644
Range only applies to casting unless otherwise stated.  :)

This is the point here - CASTING the spell and revealing it are two entirely different things.  Range is only used upon casting the spell (where it's placed face down on an object).  You may reveal the enchantment at any time, paying the applicable costs, or when required to in the case of mandatory enchantments.
The only time these spells will reveal and 'fizzle' is if the mana isn't or cannot be paid, or the incoming spell somehow makes it illegal (an unavoidable spell vs a block, for example).  Doesn't matter if a spell comes from 5 zones away, the Block can stop it if the other requirements (mana paid and spell avoidable) are met.

leornere

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »
Just for the sake of further discussion: when I brought this post up to him last night he cited this part of the rules as his reason for initially believing range and LOS applied for the reveal:

Designer’s Note :
The Enchantment Matrix
An enchantment is a spell divided into two parts.
When you cast the spell, it creates a magical “matrix”
on the target. At this point, it is not fully formed and
exists only as magical potential, with no effect on the
battle. When the spell is revealed later, the caster
“completes” the spell by adding additional power. It
is only then that the enchantment takes form and
can affect the target. Using hidden enchantments,
a Mage can build a web of diabolical surprises for
his foe, which is an important part of the tactics in
Mage Wars!

pg. 21 in rules V2

He feels that the terms "fully formed" and "completes" suggest that the spell is not completely "cast" until it's revealed thus LOS and range applied.

I suggested these event progressions as a way to possibly understand

Enchantment is cast and goes through: Cast Spell --> Counter Spell ---> Resolve Spell

The resolution here being the enchantment is successfully played hidden.

Once the reveal happens play progresses.

His next question was then does the enchantment go through: Reveal Enchantment --> Counter Enchantment --> Resolve Enchantment meaning... Can you counter an enchantment?

At that point we decided to drop it and just play.

:)

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
There is currently only one way to counter an enchantment being flipped over and revealed:  Mind Shield.  

We do plan at some point to have a reveal action defined into steps as mentioned above, because future spells will allow you to forcefully reveal an opponent's enchantment, or counter its being flipped.  But, for the time being, it was easier to just put the special text directly on Mind Shield and wait for similar spells to come into play later.