May 01, 2024, 05:21:47 PM

Author Topic: Countering spell/attack by changing location/range  (Read 2934 times)

rowdyt2002

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Countering spell/attack by changing location/range
« on: April 02, 2013, 03:40:53 AM »
In the FAQ release it talks about countering spells and attacks if the caster or target change position, such as with Devine Intervention. It also mentions teleport and push as possible counters. How would this work since they aren't hidden? I understand how Devine Intervention counter, but it was precast.   How else could a change in position occur?  Thanks for the answer in advance.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: Countering spell/attack by changing location/range
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 04:08:31 AM »
Welcome to the forums rowdyt2002!
For position, I cannot think of any but Divine Intervention.
There are a few that can change the target to a non-legal target.
Such as maim wings being revealed and making a flying creature non-flying and out of LoS.(That is kind of a change in position...)
Or using Finite life after your opponent has cast a healing spell.
It would have to revolve around an enchantment. I dont think there is many examples as of right now of real "Countering".
Im sure there will be in the future.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

rowdyt2002

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 04:22:30 AM »
That's what I thought, so I was confused when it mentioned teleport and push in that section. Thought I was missing something. Maybe new spells are coming that do this?

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 05:12:30 AM »
If a Whirling Spirit was on guard, and got double or triple struck... its counter attack could technically push the attacker out of the zone before his second and/or third attack could happen.

But by in large I think they are just clearing the air for potential future cards with push and teleportation effects.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
Thanks guys!  Yes, Divine Intervention created a world of anomalies for us, but by making the rules function correctly for it, we have other opportunities we can add in the near future.  

The Whirling Spirit was a great example.

We are working on a Blink spell for the Wizard, which enables him to temporarily teleport out of the arena, and then reappear back again a moment later.  This will enable him to escape attacks or spells, and will be one of his most useful signature spells.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »
Quote from: "Arcanus" post=10274
Thanks guys!  Yes, Divine Intervention created a world of anomalies for us, but by making the rules function correctly for it, we have other opportunities we can add in the near future.  

The Whirling Spirit was a great example.

We are working on a Blink spell for the Wizard, which enables him to temporarily teleport out of the arena, and then reappear back again a moment later.  This will enable him to escape attacks or spells, and will be one of his most useful signature spells.

Oh yeah, I can't wait to get my hands on this spell.

rowdyt2002

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »
I was thinking the Force Mages ability to pull an opponent closer was a possible defense but since it only cost a mana point, I didn't think that would be fair.  Powerful but not fair to the enemy.