April 29, 2024, 03:49:58 AM

Author Topic: My Goblin builder does the following, bout yours?  (Read 3994 times)

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
My Goblin builder does the following, bout yours?
« on: April 02, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »
Aside from the normal fix buildings the Goblin builder is not used a lot.

For some reason, this Goblin builder always gets push aside but these are the techniques I used or am planning on using him..

1) Goblin Builder to set traps Mangler Caltrops
2) Goblin Builder to set walls on unsuspecting escapee or would be attacker.
3) Goblin Builder to walk away from battle and setup the catapult from a distance.
4) Goblin Builder to build towers for placement
5) Goblin Builder walking around the Arena building temples (you can play this with Mass temples).
- Use the one that either gives you reroll or the one that gives you +1 melee/+1 defense or heal.
6) Goblin Builder to wake up sleeping allies with 2 attack dice.

Even though the Mangler Caltrops does not damage them when you cast it in a zone with enemy creatures, they still get hindered though..

Questions:
1) Did you ever use the Goblin Builder successfully and what did he do?
2) Do you use the Goblin Builder normally as part of your force or do you strip down your Warlord deck to not include him?

Recently I have been stripping him out of my Warlord deck but plan on using him on speciality deck (mass temples) and others..

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: My Goblin builder does the following, bout yours?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »
My problem with the builder is that he plays conjurations as full actions, even if they are normally quick and casts them to his own zone even if they normally have a range on them.  

So you have to get him on the table (a full round action, or consumption of lair action/mana) then get him into position (where he is unable to drop the conjuration that turn because he moved), then finally cast it at full mana cost to the Mage because he has no channeling.

It just seems so much less efficient than casting the Conjuration yourself from a zone away as a quick action now and summoning a better creature in his place.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »
Quote from: "baronzaltor" post=10250
My problem with the builder is that he plays conjurations as full actions, even if they are normally quick and casts them to his own zone even if they normally have a range on them.  

So you have to get him on the table (a full round action, or consumption of lair action/mana) then get him into position (where he is unable to drop the conjuration that turn because he moved), then finally cast it at full mana cost to the Mage because he has no channeling.

It just seems so much less efficient than casting the Conjuration yourself from a zone away as a quick action now and summoning a better creature in his place.

I like the Goblin Builder better than you. I'm not going to dispute the limitations you put forth, however I will ask you to consider how many turns one should plan a ahead. Is it possible to plan around those very real downsides by thinking far enough ahead?

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
Goblin builder is very underpowered for laying down temples and stuff, because he is essentially a "sunk" 5 mana cost - he doesn't make those Conjurations any cheaper or any more effective.

However, he's not bad for laying down walls, especially to protect your ranged creatures. If he's in the same square as your Grimson or royal archer, he can make walls, repair the walls, and even go on Guard when your opponent sends flyers at your ranged creature. That makes him way more versatile.

dexmark

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
My point with a Goblin Builder, nobody really cares much about him.
He can go to the other side of the arena board without anybody paying close attention to him then the following occurs:

- New spawn point or tower
- New catapult (that will bombard the conjuration)

His use is really for you to do something that nobody expects..

Yeah mana is an issue with Warlord but I used my goblin builder to wake up my sleeping 2 Attack die flingers (due to Mass sleep). If I didn't have him on the board my sleeping range guys will never wake up from the onslaught of the Forcemaster. And the forcemaster didn't really care much about him (just let him be the builder).

He is in the lowest point of priority in any battle - which could be advantageous if you know that nobody really attacks him.

Snotwalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
Why use the Goblin Builder?  Because your Warlord can't be everywhere at once.  If nothing else, the Builder gives you more flexibility in the arena for throwing down walls, caltrops, towers, etc., if your Warlord is having mobility issues, or has better things to do that round than conjur a wall.

I view the Builder as cheap insurance in my Warlord spellbook.  For only 1 point out of 120, the Builder is kinda like Jello...  there's always room for at least one.