April 20, 2024, 10:44:41 AM

Author Topic: Thoughts on a Tournament setup?  (Read 8236 times)

Mgrancey

Thoughts on a Tournament setup?
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:33:49 PM »
Posted this else where under spell book discusion, hadn't noticed this thread yet so reposting here:

As an idea for tournament play, something similar to another idea for Thunderstone some friends and I had, is that when you advance a round in the tournament, the winners get an extra points say 10, towards their spell book and can add in new spell(s) between rounds but not take any out or swap. For a double blind tournament, you could do 5 points for the losers, even at end there would only be 5 points difference between them if they battled.

Not sure if, points don't have to be used immediately so they could hold for after a 2nd win and have 20 points for 1 spell. Risky since the other player probably used theirs and has something extra they didn't before. Normal rules for costs and limits apply.

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on a Tournament setup?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »
I don't really like the idea of changing cards between matches or adding points simply because it would turn to a tournament logistical nightmare in some ways. I think having the 120 or so point spell book is more than enough for tournament. With that said, I think it'd be ok to have a sideboard of sorts - but with it being a point based book composition over a card count, I think that would lead to some trouble.

For tournaments I think the best thing is to follow how miniature games work and not how a card game works. I think it'd allow for the best customization and for smoother tournament play that way, but that's just my opinion.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
You are correct the 120 points should be more than enough for meta you may need to include in your book. Currently we are looking at several ways to run events. I personally like Swiss style events because they allow even players who are not very good to get in a few games.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Dragkin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of single round elimination at all. Especially for a new game, I think its important to have players play as much as they can at a tournament - win or lose. It'd be great if there were achievement awards or some kind of participation awards that the lower ranked players could earn during a tournament.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »
Quote from: "Dragkin" post=192
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of single round elimination at all. Especially for a new game, I think its important to have players play as much as they can at a tournament - win or lose. It'd be great if there were achievement awards or some kind of participation awards that the lower ranked players could earn during a tournament.

Whats most important is letting people play and having fun. The best thing to do is once the League kit is offered players will start being able to affect the game world and see the story unfold. This should be another thing that will bring people in.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Ayumi

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=229
Whats most important is letting people play and having fun. The best thing to do is once the League kit is offered players will start being able to affect the game world and see the story unfold. This should be another thing that will bring people in

Thank you.  LIke everyone else, I play to win, but the playing is most important. There are too many 'Spike-types' in the gaming world.  It's refreshing and encouraging that you emphasize letting everyone play and have fun in the earliest discussion of Mage Wars Tourney Play.

Things just keep getting better and better about this game world!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
Quote from: "Ayumi" post=437
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=229
Whats most important is letting people play and having fun. The best thing to do is once the League kit is offered players will start being able to affect the game world and see the story unfold. This should be another thing that will bring people in

Thank you.  LIke everyone else, I play to win, but the playing is most important. There are too many 'Spike-types' in the gaming world.  It's refreshing and encouraging that you emphasize letting everyone play and have fun in the earliest discussion of Mage Wars Tourney Play.

Things just keep getting better and better about this game world!

There is a difference between competitive play and local league play. I can understand being competitive when its needed during playtests and events that have prizes. The league should be about getting players into the game and advancing the game story. Because only special cards that will be printed will be alternate art version of cards that are already out, you will not have to worry about any kind of "chase cards". So this should tone down the level of cut throat players on a local level.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
not only  the game world but it seems they have gathered hundreds of great ideas to make up this game, from the concept to mechanics to the background.  im finding diversity and interesting possibilities at every turn.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »
Ideas that I've had are maybe a simple maze layout to the arena, and project the entire board onto a big screen - yes it'l take a lot longer than a conventional game, but I find it interesting to try.....if I can ever get my copy of the game XD

and maybe have a league points system as you score a number of points equal to the spellbook cost of remaining spells you have at the point of winning a game

so what do people think then?