May 17, 2024, 06:13:31 AM

Author Topic: Stonethrower - Anvil Throne Warlord  (Read 6983 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Stonethrower - Anvil Throne Warlord
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:57:23 AM »
Book based off of Fireslinger.
Suggestions and comments welcome as always.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Stonethrower[/spellbookname]
[mage]Anvil Throne Warlord[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]6 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA04]4 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]3 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]3 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA01]2 x  Arc Lightning[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1A08]1 x  Geyser[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q08]2 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]2 x  Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ06]1 x  Morning Star[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q04]1 x  Deflection Bracers[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1Q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j13]1 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]2 x  Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J19]1 x  Deathlock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07]1 x  Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC05]1 x  Anvil Throne Crossbowman[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e21]2 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]2 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01E02]2 x  Arcane Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e10]1 x  Decoy[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWA01I01]2 x  Crumble[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]2 x  Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWAPRI05]2 x  Remove Curse[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]1 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 04:21:39 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Stonethrower - Anvil Throne Warlord
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of hunks of earth getting thrown around! I can probably predict the outcome on this one but what's the opener like?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »
Without touching the core concept:

I presuming you Mage Wand is probably going to be mostly used for Dispel/Dissolve type effects, so I think the Opportunity cost of memorising Sniper Shot will prevent it from seeing much use if it's not spellbound somewhere. Also you are missing Defend which is the best Command in the game (although I see why you want Charge here too).

Personally I'd drop 1x Sniper Shot, and 1x Geyser for 1x Helm of Command and 1x Defend.

I'd also drop 1x Disarm/Charge, 1x Armour Ward and 1x Force Push for 1x Teleport (which can help your Golem where Force Push can't amongst many other things).

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:38:13 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of hunks of earth getting thrown around! I can probably predict the outcome on this one but what's the opener like?

Well, aggressive could be something like
R1 Move - Hawkeye - Akiro's Favor
R2 Move - double Hurl Boulder

but a more cautious approach I really like is

R1 Harshforge Plate ( +1 armor Rune ) + Mana Flower
R2 Armor Ward + Arcane Ward on the Armor Ward

You have 3 armor and it takes 16 mana to Dissolve / 14 to Crumble the Plate and it takes some work to remove the Armor Ward too.
The Runed up Elemental Wand, Boots and Mage Wand will cost an arm and a leg to remove the first time.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 02:47:14 PM »
Without touching the core concept:

I presuming you Mage Wand is probably going to be mostly used for Dispel/Dissolve type effects, so I think the Opportunity cost of memorising Sniper Shot will prevent it from seeing much use if it's not spellbound somewhere. Also you are missing Defend which is the best Command in the game (although I see why you want Charge here too).

Personally I'd drop 1x Sniper Shot, and 1x Geyser for 1x Helm of Command and 1x Defend.

I'd also drop 1x Disarm/Charge, 1x Armour Ward and 1x Force Push for 1x Teleport (which can help your Golem where Force Push can't amongst many other things).

Hi Kelanen,

Helm of Command might be an option.
I'm assuming however that I don't need Charge and Sniper Shot more than twice per game, making the helm unnecessary. I'll see if that holds up.

Defend is nice but I don't have a target for it ...

I use Disarm to remove Corrode markers from the Plate - and to Disable annoying equipment, like Galvitar, so I'm really hesitant to remove one.

Teleport sounds nice but it's really not the intention to use actions and mana on teleporting the Golem around but rather to use him as a durable, hard hitting Guard to protect the Dwarf and to use him as a "roadblock" between the dwarf and his enemies while the Dwarf bombards his enemies.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:00:24 PM by Borg »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »
The lack of mobility concerns me. No Tanglevine or Force Hold to pin your opponent, no "get out of Tanglevine free" card (aka Teleport), no way to limit your own movement (e.g. Eagleclaw Boots or Tanglevine) and few ways to control movement (e.g. 1x Force Push) makes me a little queezy. Similarly, in my uber-aggro "rush" books, I often try to squeeze in a Cheetah Speed and/or Enfeeble and/or Mongoose Agility to ensure I can keep up with my opponent. Other than that, I like the level of aggression that this book suggests. It certainly won't be a long match...
(unless you get walled in or otherwise pinned down somehow, or your opponent is able to outrun you by ensaring you in Vines while being fast, etc).

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 04:03:13 PM »
Helm of Command might be an option.
I'm assuming however that I don't need Charge and Sniper Shot more than twice per game, making the helm unnecessary. I'll see if that holds up.

Defend is nice but I don't have a target for it ...

My bad on Defend, I forgot it required Living.

I have to say I disagree on Charge though... You have no way of holding your opponent to the spot(Force Crush, Tanglevine, Enfeeble, etc), and no other way to move your Golem around (eg: Wand of Teleport). If your opponent is even vaguely competent they will move every round, and every round you don't cast Charge your Golem can't swing...

If the Golem is there purely a guard then ditch him and the Charges for a Guardian Angel, which will do the job better. throwing rocks is a one trick pony that's easily defeated though - you need that Golem too...

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 04:48:40 PM »
I guess a well timed single forcefield would stop you. You only have 2 dispels so with some protection you wouldn't get rid of it.

Also a slow golem as only support seems to be always the one step behind. There is definitely a lack of mobility.
Without intercept you can be killed from a distance. I'd prefer panzergarde as guard. As warlord he is the perfect choice.

You need eagleclaw boots. You can get walled in into trouble and won't get out. Not to mention push through walls.

Dot will hit you hard. You have not enough to get rid of curses.

This book has to be played as rush. And that means it's all about positioning and firing heavy boulders in a row. That is also your answer to dot. The time those damages stack up, you already won if it worked out. So the slow golem will never see useful play.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 06:57:46 AM »
A lot of good, sound advice.

Can't get around the Teleports then, clearly, and 1 may just not be enough especially since the mage wand is normally going to carry a Dispel. I'll just have to bite through all the sbp costs, I guess, and add what's needed.

Enfeeble is indeed a pain and you don't want to have to Dispel that for 2-3 times so better to counter with Cheetah speed who can help you out in other ways as well.

I made significant modifications to the book in the opening post.
I like where this is going.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:04:37 AM by Borg »

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 07:17:58 AM »
As a hard kill direct damage mage you need to run Finite Life (Poison Blood or Deathlock)

Depending on what your facing Deathlock is harder to remove but also affects you.  Watch out for Bleed attacks.

Poison Blood is my preferred method and it sucks up dispels no one is going to let that sit for long.

Also a way to make yourself elusive to avoid guards.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 09:43:36 AM »
As a hard kill direct damage mage you need to run Finite Life (Poison Blood or Deathlock)

Agreed.
Spellbook updated.

Super Sorcerer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 04:50:05 PM »
ב"ה
I like the Idea of this book  :)
Usually my "attack spells rush" books with non-nature mages include a battleforge and some leather pieces, to make my mage prepared for some kind of a "counter rush" to kill my mage first (which is a contingency that many books include in the meta I play with). In the worst case, you used the action to bring the battle forge and got the action of bringing the elemental wand. In the best case, the opponent rill use 2 action and 10 mana to get closer to you and cast 2 surging waves on the battle forge and destroy it (well, the "best" case is that your opponent both waste a round on it and rolls badly and fail to destroy it, but even if he do destroy it you still got the advantage).

Once Paladin VS siren will be out, this book will definitely find Champion's Gauntlets as a useful tool to protect elemental wands :)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 04:44:30 AM »
Usually my "attack spells rush" books with non-nature mages include a battleforge and some leather pieces, to make my mage prepared for some kind of a "counter rush"

I removed the BF because there's only 1 piece of equipment that is sure to come out, the Plate.
A wand normally also comes into play but the other 5 pieces are situational so I saved 1 QA and 8 mana ( and 3 SBP's ) early game, which let the book start up faster.

Once Paladin VS siren will be out, this book will definitely find Champion's Gauntlets as a useful tool to protect elemental wands :)

Can't find the card.
What does it do ?

Kelanen

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 05:15:37 AM »
Can't find the card.
What does it do ?

Every card is spoiled on DiceTower, almost every card in these forums (maybe all) and almost every card on Arcane Duels (will be all within the week).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICbXvaIWEBM

littlenog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »
Okay so a few spells here an there..

Knockdown this is excellent for breaking guards and defense based creatures.

Best case scenario you knock down a create after activation on your opponents turn.  They will not be able to remove the effect until after you first Full Action on your initiative turn.  Maybe burst down a tricky defender.

2 Poison Bloods vs 1 Deathlok

Swap 1 Dispel for Nullify

Grimson for the Crossbowman your battle order is Piercing +2 need one more sbp for Grimson though.