May 20, 2024, 12:44:55 PM

Author Topic: Slingshot - Forcemaster  (Read 4100 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Slingshot - Forcemaster
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »
I agree with the common idea that the Forcemaster doesn't handle well "being undressed" :)

When she goes solo you can really hinder her by Dispelling her Bear Strength, put an Agony on her, Dissolve the Dancing Scimitar etc.

It came to a point where I felt it was a real uphill battle with her against an opponent who knew what he was doing.

So, I figured it was time to shelve my old book and come up with a new one.
No longer solo but with some heavyweight assistance and the Forcemaster as orchestrator before finally taking up her Galvitar.

Steelclaw Grizzly, Devouring Jelly, Necropian Vampiress are all creatures that fit her well and have been discussed at length but one that I haven't seen mentioned with her yet is Cervere.

I didn't end up with him until after about 10 different opening tries but eventually I got to an opening which had me pretty excited.

I'll let you judge for yourself and hear what you have to say about it.

If possible, you should get initiative, so let's do that opening first.
Let's assume the opposing mage stays as far away from you as possible, thus in his starting corner.

R1-20: Cervere (5) + FD Lion's Savagery on C. (3)
R2-13: FM double moves to NC + Force Pull Cervere (12) + Cervere moves to FC and Guards
R3-22: QC Brace Yourself on FM (20) + Cervere attacks and reveals LS (17) + Steelclaw Grizzly (0)
R4-10 : Cervere attacks + Move FM to FC and Force Pull Grizzly to FC (9) + QC Cheetah Speed on Grizzly (4) + Attack with Fast Grizzly
R5-14 : QC Forcefield on FM (2) + ...

So, ( in theory ) at the end of R4 the opposing mage has a Grizzly and Cervere on his back and has been hit with 17 dice already.
The FM is willing to take some hits early on because at the start of R5 it's possible to put out a Forcefield.

It's still untested but the build up certainly seems "potent" to me.

In case I lose initiative I would open with

R1-20: Thoughtspore (12) + FD Brace Yourself on Spore (10)
Then proceed like above.

Possible spells on Spore :
- Minor Heal : pretty good choice imo in a damage race not to mention the Spore can keep himself healthy as well and stay in the back and accumulate mana until the time comes to move forward.
- Teleport : arguably best choice vs Druid
- Disarm : Disarming opponent's Galvitar ... ;) or wand
- Acid Ball : no explanation required, I guess
- Surging Wave : probably best vs Wizard
- etc

Can't wait to try it out. :)

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Forcemaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]2 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]2 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j22]2 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]1 x  Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w01]1 x  Fog Bank[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]1 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC16]1 x  Thoughtspore[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e01]3 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]2 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]2 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e16]1 x  Force Hold[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE05]1 x  Forcefield[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e23]1 x  Jinx[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e25]1 x  Maim Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x  Rust[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWQ04]1 x  Galvitar, Force Blade[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ01]1 x  Dancing Scimitar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q16]1 x  Leather Gloves[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i14]1 x  Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i15]1 x  Knockdown[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i19]1 x  Piercing Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i20]1 x  Purify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]1 x  Disarm[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:50:21 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
Re: Slingshot - Forcemaster
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 09:34:38 AM »
Love the idea, Borg!  I'm glad you're choosing to maximize a different side of the Forcemaster...the Force Pull!  I'm going to have to give this a try and then give you some more concrete feedback.

My first question is whether you think it's worth it to invest in a Force Ring?
Secondly, what's your plan vs. a Surging Wave Wizard's Tower targeting Cervere on turn 2 or 3?

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 09:59:17 AM »
This looks like a lot of fun. I may even have to try this one as well!

Is there a back up plan for if the creatures get dealt with in a quick manner?
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
My first question is whether you think it's worth it to invest in a Force Ring?

I don't think so. You cannot afford the action nor mana during the opening and after that there will always be something more urgent to play I reckon.
At three mana he's also relatively expensive.
After this opening you still come out 1 action less and 1 mana cheaper than with a ring, so ...

Secondly, what's your plan vs. a Surging Wave Wizard's Tower targeting Cervere on turn 2 or 3?

Play Bear Strength & Piercing Strike on Cervere and let him hit that tower for 8 dice with Pierce +4 and see what's left of it :)

Is there a back up plan for if the creatures get dealt with in a quick manner?

Even if they get dealt with relatively fast they should have been able to deal some significant damage before being finished.
With Minor Heal and Heal to anticipate unexpected damage bursts it may be possible to prolong their presence and damage output
However, eventually, no one is going to stop the Forcemaster from picking up her Galvitar and Dancing Scimitar and join the fun. :)

Seriously, Cervere and the Grizzly are there to pave the way but the FM may still have to finish it off but now that she approaches the battle differently the opponent may not have the time to focus her down and dismantle her like when she goes solo.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:19:50 AM by Borg »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »
Should you add in Deathlock to 'lock in' early damage?
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 01:07:07 PM »
Should you add in Deathlock to 'lock in' early damage?

That's certainly a possibility.

I was hoping to use a timely placed Jinx or Nullify to prevent healing for a round.
Poison Blood is probably easier to squeeze in if you like some direct healing prevention.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 02:31:40 PM »

Play Bear Strength & Piercing Strike on Cervere and let him hit that tower for 8 dice with Pierce +4 and see what's left of it :)

The reason for my question is that a Surging wave will have Slammed Cervere and he won't be able to hit the tower reliably....sure you could attempt it anyway, but a 50% miss chance is not worth the risk of losing the piercing strike in my opinion.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:00 PM »
You will need to plan for a Druid match up and all of her hindering Vine Markers. Elusive and Fast really are really not that useful in that match up. You might get away with it once or twice against the Druid. Also just link anything else, your meta will adopt really fast and add in a Suppression Orb, your Pull will still work of course but Cervere's/Bears movement after the Pull will get expensive real fast and something will have to give.

Cervere is such a great go to for a few Bigs type strategy even for the FM!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
The reason for my question is that a Surging wave will have Slammed Cervere and he won't be able to hit the tower reliably....sure you could attempt it anyway, but a 50% miss chance is not worth the risk of losing the piercing strike in my opinion.

Very good point Puddnhead.

One way to handle it ( somewhat unsatisfying ) would be to get out the Healing Wand and remove the daze but that would mean you can't play the Piercing Strike on that turn and your Cervere would only be able to hit the Tower with 6 dice + Pierce+1 which will not be enough to take it out.

The better option would be to include a spell who just didn't make the final cut earlier but could indeed prove the solution to this problem : [mwcard=MW1W01] Fog Bank[/mwcard]

I ditched the Fog Bank earlier for the Bone Wall because I want a durable and unpassable wall that blocks LOS and can be used to cut off enemies from their mage.

However, blocking LoS and allowing passage can be just as valuable.

I've edited the spellbook :
added Fog Bank
removed 1x Stumble and 1x Brace Yourself

Thanks for the constructive feedback :)

You will need to plan for a Druid match up and all of her hindering Vine Markers. Elusive and Fast really are really not that useful in that match up. You might get away with it once or twice against the Druid. Also just link anything else, your meta will adopt really fast and add in a Suppression Orb, your Pull will still work of course but Cervere's/Bears movement after the Pull will get expensive real fast and something will have to give.

Against a druid I was thinking of opening with a Thoughtspore/Teleport to counter her vines and movement hindering.

Are there any other specific counters I should include iyo ?

Since Suppression Orb will usually be close to the enemy mage when it's cast I count on Cervere being able to possibly take it out with one blow, if not with two attacks at most.

Obviously the vine markers will hinder, I just hope that the creatures' 1 zone move + the FM's pull is enough to keep the enemy mage in striking distance all the time. I'm curious myself to see how this match up plays out.

Thanks for the input sIKE ;)

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:52:20 PM by Borg »