May 14, 2024, 04:21:56 AM

Author Topic: Using Attack Spells as the Warlord  (Read 14987 times)

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Using Attack Spells as the Warlord
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek" post=9795
Quote from: "shapeshifter" post=9663
This is a total of 14 dice attack (16 with hawkeye) that your opponnent cant reply with outside of enchantment revealing and most likely a slam on them too.

I don't believe that Hawkeye works this way. It gives a Creature +1 Ranged ability. I believe that it doesn't stack with spells.

Hawkeye gives a creature Ranged +1

V2.0 of the rule book states on page 23:

Ranged +X
This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus. Has no effect on zone attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this creature does not have one.

Hurl Boulders is a ranged attack so I would say it does work.

I may be missing a subtle point in your reasoning, I can be blunt like that sometimes, but the straight forward interpretation indicates it would work Imo.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »
I'm with you Tacullu64, I believe that was exactly how it worked. Only difference between the ring and Hawkeye is the ring is explicit in the TYPE of attack/damage it effects.
If this isn't the case, then what DOES it effect? Surely not just the Longbow?

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 05:52:23 PM »
Quote from: "Tacullu64" post=9800

Yes. This does not extend to all attacks that the Mage makes though. It only effects the Creature it is cast on.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek" post=9841

Yes. This does not extend to all attacks that the Mage makes though. It only effects the Creature it is cast on.
Sorry Pixel, you're gonna have to explain this one I'm afraid :). If my mage has Hawkeye on him, and he casts a ranged attack spell (from Hurl Boulder to Fireball), this doesn't get the ranged bonus?
If this is the case, can you explain why please.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 06:46:37 PM »
Quote from: "pixelgeek" post=9841

I still do not understand. The Mage is a 6th level creature why wouldn't it affect him like other creatures? Does Hawkeye affect the wizard's Arcane Zap? I think it would but the way you are explaining it the AZ would not get a bonus.

From the side bar on page 23 of rule book v2.0.

ATTACk SPEllS
When you cast an attack spell, it is both a spell and an attack. First, you must follow all steps for casting, just like any spell. Then, if the spell is not countered, you must resolve the attack, following the steps for attacking. The target of the attack is always the same as the target you chose when you cast the spell. Attack spells will not show a “quick” or “full” action icon on the attack bar, because the quick or full action required to make the attack occurs when the spell is cast. Also, the range of the attack is determined by the range of the spell, so no range is shown on the attack bar. They also do not have an “attack name” on the bar, because the name of the attack is the same as the spell.

That would indicate that an attack spell is a ranged attack.

V2.0 of the rule book states on page 23:

Ranged +X
This creature gains + X attack dice when it makes a ranged attack. If the attack makes multiple attacks against the same or different objects, it gains this bonus only for the first attack it can make with this bonus. Has no effect on zone attacks. Does not grant a ranged attack if this creature does not have one.

The only limitation the above puts on Ranged +X is on multiple attacks and zone attacks neither of which apply to Hurl Boulders.

I believe the extra verbiage on Lightening Ring is to define its limitation to only work with lightening spells and abilities.

Could you come up with a ruling to support your point and some further explanation to help me understand where I'm misinterpreting the Range +X trait.

Thanks in advance.

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 08:33:19 PM »
Attack spells are attacks. Therefore, if you have Hawkeye, your fireballs and boulders and thunderbolts get +1 dice. Zone attacks do not get any benefit from + modifiers.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 01:15:30 AM »
I dont know how hawkeye wouldnt give a bonus to ranged attack spells? Its ranged +1....That how we have been playing it.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 02:57:50 AM »
hawkeye gives ranged +1 ranged spells are ranged attacks as denoted by the ranged attack symbol on the card (the arrow) i dont even understand why this is a question.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

shapeshifter

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:17 AM »
I hope I have been playing hawkeye correctly applying to attack spells. Because i feel the Warlord has a very good ranged game between slingers, sniper, ivarium Longbow and hurl boulder while keeping distance with walls, traps and quicksand/tanglevine.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »
Sorry I missed this all.

Rulebook 2 page 43
Ranged +X

Ranged Attack
This attack can be used on targets within its minimum and maximum range, and within Line of Sight. A
ranged attack can always be made against a Flying creature in the same zone, even below its minimum range. Ranged attacks do not trigger damage barriers or counterstrikes. Ranged attacks ignore guards, and do not remove guard markers from guarding creatures.

Rulebook 2 page 22
The Attack Bar
Every creature or spell that can make an attack has one or more attack bars listed on its card. The attack bar shows all the information you need to resolve the attack:

Attack Name:
This is the name of the attack.
Action Required:
This icon shows which type of action you must spend to make the attack (quick action or full action).
• Attack Type:
This icon shows the type of attack, such as whether it is a melee or ranged attack. Ranged attacks will also show the range (minimum and maximum range).

So yes Hawkeye and the rings add to attack spells.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Preacher

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 09:01:50 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=9913

Yay! All is well with the world!  B)

That would have seriously sucked were it the other way....

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
Arcanus covered this somewhere along the way.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 08:14:16 PM »
OP here.

My opinions have changed on Hurl Boulder. It has a lot going for it. 8 mana for 7 damage, range of 2, can target flyers, takes a quick action, decent chance to slam, and there isn't any armor that gives -2 to earth spells.

As for Hail of Stones, I don't include it at all. For my taste, too situational, takes a full action, only has a range of 1. Too meh for me. I have better ways to spend my points.
"See you space cowboy..."

Sausageman

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:38 AM »
Quote from: "MrSaucy" post=9950
OP here.

My opinions have changed on Hurl Boulder. It has a lot going for it. 8 mana for 7 damage, range of 2, can target flyers, takes a quick action, decent chance to slam, and there isn't any armor that gives -2 to earth spells.

Glad you've changed your mind - Hurl Boulder is one of my favourite attack spells now, for all those reasons mentioned.  7 damage is a LOT too.

Wait til Meteorite - 9 damage! *cough*

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 09:10:30 AM »
Quote from: "Shad0w" post=9913
Sorry I missed this all.

Rulebook 2 page 43
Ranged +X

Ranged Attack
This attack can be used on targets within its minimum and maximum range, and within Line of Sight. A
ranged attack can always be made against a Flying creature in the same zone, even below its minimum range. Ranged attacks do not trigger damage barriers or counterstrikes. Ranged attacks ignore guards, and do not remove guard markers from guarding creatures.

Rulebook 2 page 22
The Attack Bar
Every creature or spell that can make an attack has one or more attack bars listed on its card. The attack bar shows all the information you need to resolve the attack:

Attack Name:
This is the name of the attack.
Action Required:
This icon shows which type of action you must spend to make the attack (quick action or full action).
• Attack Type:
This icon shows the type of attack, such as whether it is a melee or ranged attack. Ranged attacks will also show the range (minimum and maximum range).

woww, this its important!!!