May 10, 2024, 02:41:03 PM

Author Topic: Mind Control Reveal Queastion  (Read 11130 times)

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Control Reveal Queastion
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
Ok, I just got off the phone with Bryan, and am now late to my birthday trip to Ivanhoes, but I wanted to make sure everyone had an answer the moment I knew it.

Just make sure you get there next year, one phone call early, and it will all even out

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
Thank you Laddinfance. We certainly appreciate it. Hope you have a good birthday.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 12:42:43 PM »
It was delicious. My birthday was yesterday, but today was lunch at Ivanhoes. Had a cracker jack sundae... omg it's amazing. It's vanilla ice cream, Spanish peanuts, heath bars, all covered in caramel. I'm about to hit food coma.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
Many thanks, Laddinfance, for taking time to resolve this. Much appreciated. Great news about the impending FAQ.

You were right, Zuberi and sIKE. Time to re-evaluate the tricksiness of the Forcemaster. And the value of Psychic Immunity.

I have a related question that someone may be able to answer....

"Spell Traits That Affect Your Spellbook" (p36) state "Mage Class Only" or "School of Magic Only" traits only affect inclusion in a spell book, not control.

Hence a Wizard may Steal a Warlock's Death Link and move it to his Bloodreaper.
A Forcemaster may Steal a Warlord's Helm of Command if he has no head slot item.
A Forcemaster may Mind Control a Beastmaster's Felella or a Wizard's Huginn.

What about a spell bound to the newly controlled target? I assume it is hijacked by the controller, just like the buffs on a Mind Controlled Grizzly. But just like those buffs, you don't control the spell bound. If changed, it returns to its owner's spell book as the controller of that spell is the owner. This approach would mean that if you take control of Felella who has Nullify prepared, that Nullify if cast would still be controlled by the opponent. The same would apply to taking control of a Goblin Builder with Akiro's Hammer prepared. But taking control of a Thoughtspore or Huginn with Teleport prepared would allow you to cast that Teleport with you choosing target and destination because Teleport isn't an object.

Was the above approach the right one to take? (The Huginn example actually did happen in a game today.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 10:53:21 PM »
The answers to your question are in the FAQ. First off, your base assumption is incorrect. On page 7 under Restricted Spells, we see that spell restrictions actually refer to two things. Placing it in your spellbook is one of them. Controlling or using the spell during the course of the game is another. Thus you can not take control of Huginn with the Forcemaster.

On the other hand, if you do take control of an object with a spell bound to it, page 12 under Spellbind tells us that you steal the attached spell as well. You may look at it and cast it as long as it is not restricted to you and you continue to control it. If the spell is destroyed or replaced, it is then returned to its owner (their discard pile or spellbook as appropriate).

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 05:00:08 AM »
Thanks. I gotta learn the FAQ. Or at least print it out.
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.