May 10, 2024, 04:30:54 PM

Author Topic: War sledge sweeping attack with only 1 enemy in zone  (Read 31914 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: War sledge sweeping attack with only 1 enemy in zone
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
I agree. All rules so far were making sense until now.  Well, except Lightning +X on heavy armored targets but this make sense at least in balance options.

Fact, that mighty Trokoth, leader of the Bloodwave nearly killed him self when he used full attack while defeating Paladin Siegfried is hardly acceptable :)...

But maybe its explaining the reasons why he died in Menace of Ruination. :(

Quote from: trokoth
Reports of my demise were greatly exaggerated.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2014, 03:20:39 PM »
He fell in the Arena?  :o

LINK: http://www.arcanewonders.com/mage-wars-organized-play down there :)

[/quote]

AHH! I am having a hunch where this will be going! Very cool :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
He fell in the Arena?  :o

LINK: http://www.arcanewonders.com/mage-wars-organized-play down there :)

AHH! I am having a hunch where this will be going! Very cool :)
[/quote]
AHH! You haven't get to read the story line......
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2014, 04:54:20 PM »
So... on this hypothetical Creature with Sweeping 3... could he make the attack at all if there were only two targets in the zone (an enemy and himself)? He could never complete the action....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2014, 05:36:31 PM »
A good question the rule as written only covers two attacks:

If there is not a different valid target for the second attack, then the Sweeping trait has no effect this round.

So if there is a valid second target and not a third....I can not answer as I don't know how to interpret and make a "what I would think is logical ruling" in this brave new world.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2014, 08:13:56 PM »
Is there a creature with sweeping 3? The only effect I can think of with that effect is the incantation Whirling strike.

The ruling on it is"The additional targets work in same manner as the Sweeping trait, except there are two (2) additional targets instead of one (1) additional target. If an attack with additional strikes (such as a “Doublestrike” or “Triplestrike” attack) is made using Whirling Strike, the additional strikes will only be applied to the first target; the subsequent targets will only receive one strike each."

So rules as written cover this situation. If there is no valid target for the final strike it is canceled. If applicable your own controlled objects are valid per the ruling in this thread.
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2014, 08:01:21 AM »
Is there a creature with sweeping 3?

Shad0w brought up the Creature with the hypothetical Sweeping 3 trait a number of posts back.

"For example if you had a creature with Sweeping 3"

My question was a follow-on to his comment. I also say "hypothetical" in my note.

Yes, I understand that there currently is no such Creature, and the Whirling Strike is different... I was just pointing out that some additional consideration may need to be made if, in the future, this hypothetical Creature is created.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2014, 11:13:29 AM »
Sorry it appears my fat finger skipped over page 4 of the thread. Sorry I missed that discussion unintentionally. On that regard I think sweeping 3 would require errata to sweeping or instead of sweeping they would have to print out the text on Whirling strike for the creature that has it.
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 02:56:47 PM »
So everyone is aware, the extra attack generated by sweeping is optional. So, if your Warlord and one opposing creature are in the same zone, he can use the full action attack without clubbing himself in the head. I have spoken to Bryan about this and the original text did not imply that the attack had to be made, but it also did not imply that the attack was optional either. We will be fixing this on future printings. Evidentally the text in the comprehensive codex was unintentionally more specific and that will be repaired as well. Thank you all for bringing this question to our attention. If you have further questions on this subject feel free to contact me. Thanks!

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Huzzah!!!  One less reason to hate the Warlord - he no longer hits himself in the face!

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2014, 03:54:27 PM »
Still not a fan of the War Sledge but it has at least one redeeming quality now. 2 hands for 4 damage dice and the option of maybe doing a sweeping attack is still not worthwhile. If reprinted I vote it gets bumped up to 5 damage dice.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2014, 02:20:10 AM »
I hope that i am using a right analogy here but War Sledge for me is something like red sox. One of my first games with Warlord was with War Sledge before i get used to the game and "wake up" :)

As Maverick said, give it +1 attack dice or lower its mana cost. This equip will be solid then :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »
War sledge is great in very specific circumstances. If it was great all the time it would be to good. I still use it occasionally and when I do it gets dissolved immediately. That's the highest compliment possible.

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2014, 01:10:35 PM »
It is fine as it is, sweeping with +7 daze. Yes it is situational. The problems lies in two hands?

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »
It is fine as it is, sweeping with +7 daze. Yes it is situational. The problems lies in two hands?

Yes the problem is the 2 hand. The stats are good for a 1h, but preventing to use Horn or a Wand or eventually a Shield need a bigger benefit.