April 27, 2024, 12:27:50 PM

Author Topic: War sledge sweeping attack with only 1 enemy in zone  (Read 31807 times)

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: War sledge sweeping attack with only 1 enemy in zone
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »
Man talk about killing a LoF rush! Here that sound? All War Sledges not already taken out of spellbooks are now flying out to that card grave yard out back.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 01:56:05 AM »
If we have a mage an enemy mage in one zone, with noone else there, my warlord would be not able to use full attack of a war sledge? Or he will be a second target of that attack?

What is a purpous of this? To prevent overusage of fullattacks with sweeping? I must be really ovelooking something :-)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 03:23:45 AM »
If we have a mage an enemy mage in one zone, with noone else there, my warlord would be not able to use full attack of a war sledge? Or he will be a second target of that attack?

You serious?

This whole thread was about exactly this. And Shadow answered.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »
Was sarcastic... :)

Not just hammer but East Wind chick just get her wings clipped :(
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »
East Wind chick just get her wings clipped :(
Oh Mighty Hand of Bim-Shalla why oh why did I hit myself in the eye with an Angels Feather! Why? Why!

Sir Corazon - it's just a Flesh Wound!

On a serious note: Acid Blast, Adramelech, Dwarf Kriegsbiel, Galvitar (it at least has an or Doublestrike), Sardoynx, Selesius, Sir Corazin, War Sledge, and Windstorm all took a hit here, I am sad.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:02:01 AM by sIKE »

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2014, 12:02:32 PM »
On a serious note: Acid Blast, Adramelech, Dwarf Kriegsbiel, Galvitar (it at least has an or Doublestrike), Sardoynx, Selesius, Sir Corazin, War Sledge, and Windstorm all took a hit here, I am sad.

Acid Blast and Windstorm are ranged so you can still use them that way and not necessarily target self / friendlies.

Adramelech, Dwarf Kriegsbiel, Galvitar, Sir Corazin would never use their sweep unless there are 2 targets so no harm there. However mind control is funnier now.

Selesius cannot target herself because she is wind immune

War Sledge loses a daze chance but otherwise nets the same damage roll

Mage Wars will never be the same again

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
With sweeping you must make the second attack if you have another legal target. This second attack is not optional. >:(
Is this the intent?
It is how the rules work.
I understand that this is how the rules (currently) work. Will something be changed, perhaps?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
If it was to get changed it would not be soon.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »
Just saw this thread and wanted to share this wording under Step 5. Additional Strikes of the Combat section in the RAW.

"Some traits, such as Triplestrike, allow the attacker to make additional attacks against the same target."

The underlined word states "allow" not "require". Can we use this nuisance to clarify that any additional strikes from attack traits are always optional? This seems to be the intent using the wording under this section of the rules.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 10:04:55 PM »
Just saw this thread and wanted to share this wording under Step 5. Additional Strikes of the Combat section in the RAW.

"Some traits, such as Triplestrike, allow the attacker to make additional attacks against the same target."

The underlined word states "allow" not "require". Can we use this nuisance to clarify that any additional strikes from attack traits are always optional? This seems to be the intent using the wording under this section of the rules.

So what? "Allow" definition is: admit (an event or activity) as legal or acceptable.

NOT: "gives you the option to or not to".

"Allow" just means Triplestrike allow you to attack the same target 3 times. Not that you may or may not. It just means that it allow you to perform it, while normally, with a non-Triplestrike attack you are not allowed.

English is not my main language and I seem to understand it better than most english-people... I am flabergasted.

HeatStryke

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »
People are simply over thinking this.

It is safe to assume a rule is mandatory unless it explicitly says otherwise. You use an attack with Piercing you get the bonus. You don't choose if you WANT the bonus.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2014, 12:11:12 AM »
People are simply over thinking this.

It is safe to assume a rule is mandatory unless it explicitly says otherwise. You use an attack with Piercing you get the bonus. You don't choose if you WANT the bonus.
I think the most awesome thing about this game is the rules make sense, hitting myself in the head with my own weapon doesn't, period the end. If someone forgot to put enemy or may into the rule, now that make sense.

Luckily the Lord of Fire is Flame Immune so he is saved by another rule so it is not so bad for him.

Just makes me sad, just sadness...

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2014, 05:44:42 AM »
Has anyone used sweeping for one enemy?

I would agree with sike, in a logical chain sweeping 2 attack is a must, but when choosing a friendly u have an option "may".

A Dwarf Kriegsbiel attacks a Mountain Gorilla in his zone as the first attack of his Sweeping attack. 8
The Mountain Gorilla reveals a Divine Intervention on itself, and teleports away (to the same or different zone).
That attack is canceled, and the Dwarf Kriegsbiel may then proceed to his second attack and choose a different
target in the same zone, if any are available. He may not choose the Mountain Gorilla again, even if it
teleported into the same zone, since Sweeping requires the second attack to target a different creature.

It says may, and nothing about targeting himself.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2014, 06:52:13 AM »

Acid Blast and Windstorm are ranged so you can still use them that way and not necessarily target self / friendlies.

Adramelech, Dwarf Kriegsbiel, Galvitar, Sir Corazin would never use their sweep unless there are 2 targets so no harm there. However mind control is funnier now.

Selesius cannot target herself because she is wind immune

War Sledge loses a daze chance but otherwise nets the same damage roll

Mage Wars will never be the same again

It might be a sought out example - but corazin and dwarf kriegsbiel can be forced to attack themselves.

Lets say there is a warlock in a zone with his demon and you wish to cleave both - the only problem is if he has helm of fear.

Divine intervention revealed at the right time could make this happen too under the right circumstances.

Finally  - if there ever is an enchantment with similar effect to suppression cloak this could also end up causing a sweep attack to hit yourself.

What was the final ruling to selesius and her sweeping attack?
Can she target 1 flying and 1 non flying unlike Adremelach?
Must the targets be in the same zone?

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 09:22:43 AM »

As per the FAQ Sweep is a multiple target attack and triple / double are multiple strike attacks. Specifically, sweep skips the 5th step.

Apples and oranges my friend.

What was the final ruling to selesius and her sweeping attack?
Can she target 1 flying and 1 non flying unlike Adremelach?
Must the targets be in the same zone?

It's in the Faq.

"When a flying creature uses a sweeping attack, if the first target has Flying, the second target must also have Flying. Similarly, if the first target does not have flying, the second target must also not have flying."

If the attack also has reach then the above restriction does not apply.