May 11, 2024, 11:45:29 AM

Author Topic: Golem Pit (Combo-Attrition: 1 Core + FvW + CoK)  (Read 27250 times)

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Golem Pit (Combo-Attrition: 1 Core + FvW + CoK)
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »
That earth wizard build sounds really similar to something I'm working on. We should compare notes!  And yes, my secret suspicion is that its the best book in the game at the moment, if the player can play tight enough to complete all the games in time and on plan.

Here is my Earth Wizard Kill Zone book. Although there is superficial similarity to Charmyna's “fabled Watergate" book (as all wizards use essentially the same tools with our current nascent pool), this book is played quite differently. It is easy to play for a wizard spell book thus is ideal for newer players (Watergate is subtler and requires far more patience). You can win without ever leaving your start corner zone!

14 EQUIPMENT (22)
1 Arcane Ring (1)
1 Enchanter's Ring (1)
1 Moonglow Amulet (1)
1 Dragonscale Hauberk (2)
1 Storm Drake Hide (2)
2 Elemental Cloak (2)
1 Leather Gloves (1)
1 Eagleclaw Boots (2)
3 Mage Wand (6)
1 Elemental Wand (2)
1 Regrowth Belt (2)

8 CONJURATIONS (16)
1 Battle Forge (4)
2 Mana Crystal (2)
1 Wizard's Tower (2)
2 Wall of Stone (4)
1 Wall of Thorns (2)
1 Fog Bank (2)

7 CREATURES (24)
4 Iron Golem (12)
2 Darkfenne Hydra [8]
1 Gorgon Archer (4)

18 ENCHANTMENTS (25)
3 Harmonize (3)
1 Rhino Hide (2)
2 Hawkeye (4)
2 Cheetah Speed (4)
4 Nullify (4)
2 Enchantment Transfusion (2)
2 Jinx (2)
1 Spiked Pit (3)
1 Teleport Trap (1)

15 INCANTATIONS (25)
4 Dispel (4)
1 Purge Magic (3)
2 Seeking Dispel (2)
4 Dissolve [8]
3 Teleport (6)
1 Force Push (2)

4 ATTACKS [8]
2 Hurl Boulder (4)
1 Jet Stream (2)
1 Surging Wave (2)

Your opening differs by opposing mage and who has initiative, what you know about his book and his style of play. However, I try to follow a game plan, obviously diverted when an opportunity arises (e.g. to Wall of Thorns / Force Push / Jet Stream with Wizard’s Tower) or if the opponent threatens to disrupt my plans (e.g. Nullify and Teleport Wand in case Teleported out). You must preempt a "check" on your king.

Turn 1: build Battle Forge where you start and an adjacent Mana Crystal
Turn 2: forge Arcane Ring for other adjacent Mana Crystal and an Iron Golem in your starting corner kill zone
Ok, so you have very early on revealed your elemental specialty but you often need a guard on turn 3, especially if you started with initiative.

After that, a game is fuzzy (turn 3 Forge is usually Enchanter's Ring) but once you are at 14 Channelling (2 Crystals, Medallion, Harmonize) as early as turn 4 (reveal Harmonize on self just before Channelling to claim Arcane Ring bonus), you can summon a Golem each turn (it guards henceforth) and also cast the trap set-up enchantments (Transfusion, Nullify, Jinx) on the same healthiest Golem for cost 13+1.

As early as Turn 7, you could set the trap off: Spiked Pit in corner zone and Teleport the opponent’s mage onto it then as late as possible Transfuse Jinx Nullify onto him to hit him with 4 Iron Golems. Next turn, you Early QC 2 Stone Walls to enclose him before he escapes.

But the Turn 8 win is very rare. Often it is better to get 2 sets of stacked hidden enchantments ready. With 14 Channelling and 2 Hawkeyes (you and Gorgon) and a Harmonized Wizard’s Tower, you can cast 2x Hurl Boulders and a Gorgon's arrow for 8+7+5 dice focused attack each turn. This forces the opponent to pause to amass troops out of range, which plays into your game plan due to superior Channelling and 7 top class elites.

The 3 Teleport Wands can be used aggressively to move your Hydra about for 3x3 dice attacks then return them to safety before they are killed to heal back up. But the style of this book is not board control but simple assassination: create a kill zone that no enemy dare enter without a big assault that starts beyond range 2 then trap the enemy mage in that kill zone

That just leaves a short explanation of cards. You have a toolbox of 2 breastplates, 2 cloaks, gloves, and Rhino Hide to fully leverage your Voltaric Shield when needed. With the boots on, opponent’s Push effects (to Wall Bash, the danger with corner) cannot effect you or your Golems and it also lets you cross your Stone Walls (as full action). The tempo advantage you get with a Battle Forge (often safe in your kill zone to Harmonize) is well known. Teleport and Hurl Boulder are the default Wand binds.

The very existence of the Thorns trick (props to Charmyna) in your book forces opponents to play in a certain way to avoid cheap damage but beware of doing this too early. You want to do damage spikes in short periods of time (including Hurl Boulders) when approaching the end game as opponent will retreat to regenerate an early spike.

Fog Bank is there just for problematic range 3 Akiro’s Hammer (you venture out 1 to Teleport a range 3 Sniper into your kill zone). It's also great (with Wall of Thorns) for other match ups to break LOS to their Battle Forge or from multiple ranged threats (Gorgon Archer obviously get Teleported in and assassinated). Fog Bank is there to cheaply disrupt line of sight in opponent plans that you predict, a finesse card.

Teleport Trap is there to extend your Teleport lure into your kill zone if the opposing mage stays in his start corner. It is also there for if the opponent Climbs out of your Stone Wall zone after Escaping Stuck in 1 round of being battered, donning Eagleclaw Boots; you (outside) Dissolve his Boots, cast Teleport Trap on an empty zone within 2 of the walled-in kill zone and Teleport opponent onto it as Teleport Trap, like Divine Intervention, requires no line of sight, moving him back into the kill zone.

Harmonize all 3 mana sources, Hawkeye for yourself (don't forget ethereal Zap) and your Gorgon, Cheetah Speed for sustained attacks by your Teleported Hydras (until Dispelled), all of them leveraging your Ring(s) for mana advantage.

Purge Magic (note can be Nullified unlike Dispel) gives you momentum via action (and often mana) advantage, forcing your opponent to avoid stacked enchantment synergies (no more Bear Strength + Vampirism + hidden Retaliate), and counters curse Warlock Transfusing all his Enchanter Ring hidden curses onto you as a free action. As an Earth Wizard should leverage excellent Hurl Boulder via Elemental Wand, this build is more brutal and less subtle to Watergate’s Dispel Wand, one card I had previously dismissed but now appreciate its value. Nonliving Golems are immune to many negative enchantments and you can use Forge to free action swap Wand if low on Dispels.

Finally you have a small toolbox of range 2 attack spells (nothing that a cloak resists), 2 utility and 2 for damage spikes (and very useful Slam). An opponent’s aggressive opening of move 2 and Near Centre Battle Forge will lead to your Wizard’s Tower hosing it down with Surging Wave (also used on Blue Gremlins). Use Jet Stream on Flyers and threats best pushed away to prolong approach (and Thorns).

A variant of this build (and a prior interation) could be:
-2 Darkfenne Hydra, -1 Gorgon Archer, -2 Cheetah Speed, -1 Hawkeye
+1 Idol of Pestilence, +1 Deathlock, +1 Suppression Orb, +1 Mordok's Obelisk, +1 Wizard's Tower, +1 Hurl Boulder

The problem with this build was guarding the control conjurations (which you bring out appropriate to each match-up) which actually serve as lures. With emergence of Swarm in the coming expansion, this Control version may be the future. However, currently, the simplicity and brutality of the above build is better. I've also experimented with Force Hold and Turn to Stone but, because this book does not have many "must Dispel" visible enchantments, they were soon Dispelled as opponent's Dispel quota had not been depleted (if you include restraint, use them in large quantities). I far prefer Tanglevines to Force Hold as they are cheaper points and players run out of Teleports faster than Dispels. However all of these cards are perfectly reasonable to be considered in your variant to suit your local meta. I just prefer good old fashion creature toolbox quantity (all high quality) and position, removing opponent's reactions in an action burst via Transfusion. Combo (this build hybrids with spell points-conscious Attrition) is about "opportunity windows", gaining a burst of free actions to deny responses.

So what are the problems faced? Cervere is a problem but your Shield plus armour should be enough while you mana-efficiently remove her. Fragile Huginn is rarely played (usually with Bull Endurance and Regrowth for resilience) but this causes major problems as it peeks over your Stone Walls etc and can return the opponent to safety, so you need to have the second set of Transfusions ready for it before you spring the trap. Nullifies need to be rooted out first, costing an action window, meaning you need to time your trap well (always leverage Last QC then First QC double fast action when you gain initiative), even worse when they have that timed Nullify using Transfusion which can't be rooted out (just accept the mana loss from your Teleport Wand to use up their trick). Divine Intervention (needs no line of sight to escaped walled-in) is also there as Holy Epic so accept you need to do the trick twice (don't wall in first time) and Seeking Dispel any face down enchantments before doing it (reveal gets round Jinx Nullify). Multiple ranged units (zonal control) can, if timed properly with a Force Wave, cause problems so you need to adopt more aggressive Cheetah Speed Hydras and Gorgons approach, with Teleport into my kill zone assassinations to ensure opponent does not get zonal control over your "L" 3 corner zones. Finally, lucky Seeking Dispels may hit a key piece twice to break the combo trap, forcing you down the walled-in route or change to the standard Teleport attrition strategy. That is the main advantage of this book over prior iterations which used control conjurations as, although it lacks any finesse, this has a plan B.

I believe this build has even stronger match-ups vs. non-wizard decks than Watergate (but now that Charmyna has shared his book, I feel his build has a slight edge in a match-up). Golems are almost an auto-win against the Forcemaster, Beastmistress and Curse Warlock. Against Air Wizard or Priest, it may be best to bring out living creatures first (so toolbox based on match-up). The whole build is a result of a meta where swarm is currently not viable (for reasons given in a strategy thread) hence multi-target attacks (as range 1 or 0 full actions) are not played, allowing for congregating your forces in a kill zone. Once the new expansion is out, with Corrode and Etherian Lifetree and the meta changing to popular swarms resulting in zone attacks being added to books, this book will not be tier 1. So make the most of the build while it is dominant, a current strong and easy-to-play build (unbeaten in our local meta against variety of mages and strategies). Be warned though that, although an easy idea, it is still a wizard build hence there is much subtle skill mastering the book. It is however more brutal than Watergate’s attrition which seems a daunting and draining book to play requiring far more skill.

This build leverages the benefits of not needing to invest resources like move actions in closing in with the enemy, summoning very cost efficient, resilient and control immune threats to guard you in time that then becomes suicidal to assault until a larger force is summoned out of range of your significant ranged threats. But this increases your advantage (better channelling) until you finally spend accumulated resources to lure and trap your opponent for an end game spike damage kill.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:34:41 PM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Earth Wizard Kill Zone (Combo-Attrition: 1 Core + FvW + CoK)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »
The thing about this book is that it's such a fundamentally sound strategy that there's rarely ever any need for fancy tactics. It's a very strong book if you're looking to win, but don't play it too much or you'll get bored and maybe stunt your growth.

In the near future, I expect this book will weaken, but will not be eclipsed and may very well be adaptable with new tech. Gorgon Archers are just fine at softening up Beastmaster swarms, even if their poison won't work on Zombies. Iron Golems are still the cheapest 6 die attack available, and even with corrosion are still going to be hard to kill. Wizard's Tower will cast any new attack spells, and still casts Fireball, which seems good.

This, I think, is probably the strongest "fair" book. No card or combo in this book is likely a surprise to the playtesters (though the cumulative effect might be), it's just a solid way to play as many of the best cards as possible.

Also, 3 Harmonize? Ewwww. :-) So slow www.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:13:18 PM »
Thanks.

I appreciate Harmonize is not popular (you have Arcane Ring discount). In some games, I don't upgrade Forge or Tower as the opponent has enough concentrated ranged power to remove them (I upgrade myself for cost 4 with both rings). But longer games where opponent builds for a big assault, those extra 2 spell points spent become invaluable extra 2 mana. The problem with having 4 spell actions is you need mana to fully leverage it. As you "own" just 3 zones, one with a forge, that leaves you channel 14 (a key amount for Golem + enchant friendly creature, also 2 Walls of Stone). Add 2 from Tower and you have enough for 2 Hurl Boulders per turn if needed (plus 2 on Forge). Opponent is faced with attacking you early (but turn 2 Golem then potential turn 4, 5, 6 Golems makes it a daunting task) or building up out of range to amass a huge force, when those extra 2 Harmonize investments pay off big. Generally, hyper aggressive builds do the former, mid range and control the latter. So the extra 2 Harmonize do have a purpose, though not in every match-up.

I am looking forward to how the new cards will shake up the meta. It is a bad for any customisable game whenever 1 build becomes too dominant so I welcome Corrode and Lifetree as meta changers. I decided to put this out to pasture before it became obsolete, or at least significantly weakened. After players play their interesting ideas against its brutal efficiency, what I called back in August "its demoralising inevitability", you appreciate the game really needs all those meta-changing cards as soon as possible to create a vibrant meta of equally viable builds. It felt more responsible posting it now, just before our new cards arrive, rather than Gencon time when I was first to post my prediction of an Earth Wizard win (albeit a different build, I believe).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:31:28 PM by DeckBuilder »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:53:41 AM »
Speaking of using Wizard's Tower against the Druid, this came up on my twitter feed:

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 01:14:29 PM »
Very nice. [Like] When did that Gary Gygax invention, the "Owlbear", become a cultural icon reference?

I do hope there is some tech the Druid has to combat fire. Let's ignore watering plants chestnut. They can have your card image above...

"Smokey, the Owlbear Forest Fire Fighter". Legendary Level 4 Nature Creature. Slow. During Upkeep, remove all Burn counters on Plants in its zone. All Plants in its zone gain Flame -2 (so 0 net in current cases, no help for Trolls, wooden structures etc).

Like Malaconda in reverse, only for Plants. Because I am concerned having potential Nemesis match-ups is not good for a customisable game. You don't want Earth Wizard vs. Forcemaster again. It's healthy to have advantageous 60/40 match-ups in a paper-scissors-stone meta where no match-up is an almost foregone conclusion. But make it 90/10 and it feels like a lottery.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:20:41 PM by DeckBuilder »

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:52:55 AM »
Ok, so I haven't played this book in ages (as ringkichard said, it is brutally efficient but it lack finesse, you want to have more fun winning). I brought it out and played it last night with a few changes and this definitely made the build far better. So I thought I should share them.

Firstly, in our local meta, to stop wallet gaming, we all agreed to play with books made from an equal pool. We started with 1 Core but we soon added FvW then CoK when it came out. Hence this book is built with that limit in mind. So the reason why it doesn't have 4 Teleports etc is because of this constraint. In the end, you adhere to the rules of your local meta. This doesn't stop you from adding them if you can.

The changes I made were:
+3 Tanglevine (for more assassinations, provoke to deplete opponent's Teleports with Transfused Nullify ready to counter) = +6 points
+1 Nulllify, +1 Enchantment Transfusion (timed Nullify awesome, less likely for combo pieces to be hit by Seeking Dispel) = +2 points
+1 Wizard's Tower (because it can be killed by ranged, try not to lose a Hurl Boulder before it dies) = +2 points
-5 Nature enchantments (only visible enchantments are Harmonize which nobody Dispels, other enchants are trap triggers) = -10 points

So now the list stands at...

14 EQUIPMENT (22)
1 Arcane Ring (1)
1 Enchanter's Ring (1)
1 Moonglow Amulet (1)
1 Dragonscale Hauberk (2)
1 Storm Drake Hide (2)
2 Elemental Cloak (2)
1 Leather Gloves (1)
1 Eagleclaw Boots (2)
3 Mage Wand (6)
1 Elemental Wand (2)
1 Regrowth Belt (2)

12 CONJURATIONS (24)
1 Battle Forge (4)
2 Mana Crystal (2)
2 Wizard's Tower (4)
2 Wall of Stone (4)
1 Wall of Thorns (2)
1 Fog Bank (2)
3 Tanglevine (6)

7 CREATURES (24)
4 Iron Golem (12)
2 Darkfenne Hydra [8]
1 Gorgon Archer (4)

15 ENCHANTMENTS (17)
3 Harmonize (3)
5 Nullify (5)
3 Enchantment Transfusion (3)
2 Jinx (2)
1 Spiked Pit (3)
1 Teleport Trap (1)

15 INCANTATIONS (25)
4 Dispel (4)
1 Purge Magic (3)
2 Seeking Dispel (2)
4 Dissolve [8]
3 Teleport (6)
1 Force Push (2)

4 ATTACKS [8]
2 Hurl Boulder (4)
1 Jet Stream (2)
1 Surging Wave (2)

Elemental Wand stays as I feel I need to threaten 2x Hurl Boulders (+ Gorgon) to keep them at bay beyond range 2 amassing troops for an assault that arrives too late. However, this is a local meta call as I can see value in swapping Elemental Wand for Dispel Wand (props to Charmyna for spotting this tech I dismissed). It just seems wrong not leveraging the threat of 2x Hurl Boulder as Earth Wizard though.

Note: Dispel is the only popular incantation that can't be Transfusion Nullified (Dissolve can be and often needs to be Nullified with my 1 Core equipment limitation, though Dissolve is more telegraphed as it is range 1). Hence by removing this vulnerability, the book becomes more denial-control while supporting trap elements. The action, mana and 2 spell points spent for 1 extra die in Hawkeye is never worth it. Why Cheetah Speed your teleported Hydra when a Tanglevine on target deals full action damage? Yes, losing a Rhino Hide hurts but the opponent's Dispel will kill it at range 2 anyway. Spiked Pit's stuck 1+ and Tanglevine are nearly the same effect, just the former is useful if you need to "embed" an action preparing for a long distance Teleport of a distant opponent (who you need to sniff out his Nullify first).

I am kicking myself I hadn't evolved my old semi-retired build to this version before posting. I am sure there are other improvements that others will suggest that I hadn't considered.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:21:16 AM by DeckBuilder »

lettucemode

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »
One "problem" spell you didn't mention is Destroy Magic. Seems like if you're taking the time to set up a kill-zone of Golems with Transfuses on them, your opponent could play defensively for a couple turns, then sprint forward and cast it. He will destroy 6-10 of your mana with 16 of his own, but he just gained 3-5 actions on you, has a good base of mana + ranged creatures, and you have some slow golems stuck in the corner. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:44:09 AM by lettucemode »

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »
Trigger the Transfusion when he or she casts the Destroy Magic. You need to leave up X mana as a precaution, but it doesn't take an action.

You also need to have a creature outside the Zone if you don't want to slap them all onto the opponent immediately, but usually you'll want to hit the opponent anyway.

lettucemode

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
Bah, that's true. I also forgot that Destroy Magic is a full action with a max range of 1. So you'd have to be well within trap-springing range to even cast it.

It could be useful the turn after you get trapped I guess. Since it's a full action it won't get stopped by Jinx, and you can then teleport yourself out.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:30:27 AM by lettucemode »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
I am not sure that if Destroy Magic can be thwarted in this manner. If it were a Jinx, Nullify, or Reverse Magic, then yes those can counter the Incantation. But my question is can you reveal it after it is cast and has targeted the zone. 

Destroy all enchantments in target zone (both revealed and hidden), regardless of what they are attached to.

Since Transfusion is not a mandatory reveal, wouldn't be destroyed before you can reveal it? The timing items like this always has a bit of confusion in the wording to me.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

lettucemode

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:46:02 AM »
The rules for revealing enchantments say that you can reveal an enchantment at the end of any of the 3 steps in casting a spell. Doesn't matter whose turn it is. So I would cast and reveal Destroy Magic, targeting the zone with Golems in it. At the end of the Cast Spell step, DeckBuilder could reveal Transfuse and resolve it, moving the enchantments out of the zone. Then we'd go to the Resolve Spell step, and the Destroy Magic would have basically no effect since all the enchantments were moved out of the target zone.

Would I be correct in saying that there's basically no counter-play to Transfuse Enchantment?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 10:58:15 AM by lettucemode »

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
Bah, 4 or 5 responses while I write my "short" reply :)

One "problem" spell you didn't mention is Destroy Magic. Seems like if you're taking the time to set up a kill-zone of Golems with Transfuses on them, your opponent could play defensively for a couple turns, then sprint forward and cast it. He will destroy 6-10 of your mana with 16 of his own, but he just gained 3-5 actions on you, has a good base of mana + ranged creatures, and you have some slow golems stuck in the corner. Thoughts?

Firstly, thank you reading this so thoroughly and trying to work out solutions. Good spot, sir. Yes, Destroy Magic looks like a problem.

I don't want to lessen your good point as I want more people to "poke holes" at it. However Destroy Magic is
1. range 0-1 zone target (no Nullify)
2. FULL action (no sprint forward but also no Jinx)
3. level 4 Arcane spell (read: Arcane mage only)
4. for 16 mana (assume wizard QC Teleport adjacent for 6 more from out of range)

I have say a hidden Transfusion, Nullify, Jinx and all 3 Harmonize in my zone. I don't have Spiked Pit as I always cast it last and it serves as an "embed restraint" trigger that is only needed if opponent is out of range of simple Teleport + Tanglevine (transfusing Nullify Jinx).

If wizard does it at safe range 1, I just Transfuse the Nullify Jinx onto him adjacent before it resolves.
He has used his QC to Teleport there, he is now rife for a Wand Teleport + Tanglevine.
If he does it at range 0 (this means he was within range 2 before his Teleport and I did nothing) and there are no other targets within 2 to save them, then I lose the Nullify Jinx. But he is in the lion's den having used his QC Teleport then his mage's full action. 2x Stone Wall (far worse than Steel but crucially cheaper, 14 total) seems an option if I have initiative next turn. Even if I don't, say he teleport escapes so I teleport him back (he lost all his enchantments too) and wall him in.

I am not saying it cannot be done (Huginn is your enemy, not Destroy Magic). It is tricky to pull off safely and quite mana (and spell points) expensive even if successful.

Yes, Destroy Magic is something to look out for (I'd be surprised if anyone played it) but because of the "instant" ability of Transfusion, it's not the end of the world.

Killing my Harmonizes does hurt but they always generate equal action net mana advantage vs. Dispel (with arcane ring, even if opponent has an arcane ring). As an aside, don't forget you can cast that Medallion (Arcane Ring -1) and Harmonize (Enchanter Ring -1) in turn 3, then reveal the Harmonize in turn 4 before Channelling to claim the Arcane Ring bonus`and be at 14 Channelling. Anyway, by the time the Wizard does that, I am sure my Harmonizes would have paid for themselves. Still, I am not going to deny that it doesn't hurt losing them.

By splitting my enchantments across targets (Nullify hurts Purge), I had not counted on Destroy Magic so good spot there. But because of the flexibility of Transfusion, it's not quite that disastrous and it may actually result in you being brought into my kill zone with Jinx Nullify then Tanglevine on you.

Slow is also less of a problem with 3 Teleport Wands. I've Plan B if Kill Zone Combo fails, which is to just make raids with regenerating Hydras using Teleport Wand, bringing them back to heal. The build is hybrid Combo and Attrition. If its Combo fails (mainly due to lucky Seeking Dispels hitting Jinx twice), I always have the long game plan (also note FAQ clarifies that moving a target even to itself negates targeting; Seeking Dispel only prevents the target from being revealed so it can be Transfused to itself to negate targeting).

It is quite pricey, both in mana and spell points, to achieve a Teleport + Destroy Magic raid, then safely escape my reply. Still, it's good to consider all the niche cards I've never yet encountered. Thanks for reading and your valued input, it's made me want to look through my card collection for any other cards I've never played to see if it has similar problematic potential.

Any other cards that could cause problems?

Hmmm, Invisible Stalker... Will always be visible to be hit with a big creature, a Wizard's Tower Jet Stream (for Wall Bash) and Final QC Zap. This is because you should have creature overlap over the Forcemaster so you will always get the last action in every round.

The book's biggest danger was Charmyna bringing Huginn into "fashion"! As that pesky bird causes more trouble than anything (I even considered spending 3 spell points to "get it out first" but then you must protect it etc). I did have a very friendly pop at him for using his opinion-maker position to shape the meta. The reason I waited so long before publishing the list I have been alluding to in many other posts is not because "I wanted to keep it to myself" but because I didn't see what good it would do to the game. In my "Etherian Lifetree and Corrode" strategy piece, I mention these new cards helped bring Iron Golems back down to size, which I think is a good thing (I also think Enchantment Transfusion tricks need a nerf card). Knowing the game will change big soon and this book will lose potency (but will evolve), I felt it was time to answer ringkichard's old post.

It's not just those cards but the whole domino effect. If Swarm returns then multi-attacks like Chain Lightning and Zone attacks return to spell books, the bane of kill zones. Find a gap in the meta and exploit it while it lasts. Because nothing lasts forever.

Thank you again for making me think about Destroy Magic, a card I had never considered. Yes, played well with Huginn, this could cause problems and may force you down Plan B, the teleport threats attrition strategy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:05:59 PM by DeckBuilder »

lettucemode

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts DeckBuilder, they were very informative and a nice read.

It seems to me that you've come across a very strong strategy here and I am struggling to find a good way play around it. Let's say that you spring this trap and prepare two Stone Walls for the next round. If it's your initiative the next turn there's literally nothing I can do, I'll get walled in during the first quickcast phase. But even if it's my initiative it seems there's very little I can do. Any quick spell gets eaten by Jinx, Destroy Magic won't stop you from dropping the walls and starting the Iron Pain Train, and equipping Eagleclaw Boots only has a 50% of getting me out of there due to Stuck - and they'll get Dissolved before I get another chance to move.

Seems like the only way to beat this is to win before X number of turns have gone by, mostly because of the lack of counter-play to Transfuse Enchantment. From a game design perspective I don't really like that.

Having said that, I am very new to the game so it's possible that more skilled players would see this coming and pocket a Nullify each round, or figure out a way to win while hiding in the opposite corner, or something.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:19:01 AM by lettucemode »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
I like this book, current non-promo meta books like this are practically impossible to beat without a misplay (three or four actually) from the Wizard. Piercing capabilities currently are quite low and until DvM is released Acid Ball is not available for play, these will help opposing mages deal with the high armor points, which all of these styles of build depend upon.

When (if) Critical Strike is released (and isn't nerfed) Iron Golem will be much less of a threat, along with conjurations like Wizards Tower and Gate To Voltaire, as we all know, no armor makes it easy to kill things.

Last thought how many rounds is it taking to get the trap set? I do not think that I would let you get four Iron Golems out, plus the Enchantments, plus the Walls, you are talking 6+ rounds correct?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
From a game design perspective I don't really like that.

I totally agree. That's why I hesitated listing it, for the good of a game I love. It's not Iron Golems really, a temporarily undercosted creature. They can easily be brought back down to size. It's the "instant" ability of Transfusion (try it with kiting curse Warlock against a mage without Purge Magic) that needs a card to hurt it. The burst of "saved actions" you get with Transfusion is similar to a burst of "bonus actions" you get with conjuration ready marker abuse. But neither of these get to the core issue. Which is "Teleport your Mage to my Kill Zone" strategy.

Only a nerf to Teleport of "Non-Enemy Mage Creature" will permanently stop Mage assassination. It will mean the game can become what it is meant to be. I have a lovely Warlord zonal control book, ranged plus guards. No point because he just dies to assassination. Nerfing Teleport will cause an uproar. But it would be good for the game. The Wizard would still be strong, teleporting his Hydra around the board and bringing their ranged threats to your multiple threats. He retains board control. But he loses the Sudden Checkmate victory he always has unless this ability is nerfed. Wizards should not have that brutal option (they can still burst damage with attack spells at end game).

Last thought how many rounds is it taking to get the trap set? I do not think that I would let you get four Iron Golems out, plus the Enchantments, plus the Walls, you are talking 6+ rounds correct?

Yes, the fastest (unrealistic because undisrupted) opening is something like...

Forge / Crystal
(Arcane Ring) / Crystal / Golem
(Enchanter Ring) / Medallion / Harmonize self (reveal turn 4 before Channel 14 for ring discount)
Golem / Transfusion
Golem / Nullify (not first else they target creature to mandatory trigger it, you now got options to disrupt)
Golem / Jinx
(Wand Teleport) / Teleport / Tanglevine (Transfuse Jinx Nullify when they try to QC)
Stone Wall x2

But I never really plan beyond turn 2 or latest 3 because you have to react to your enemy.

Firstly, I have a Golem cast turn 2 ready turn 3. Not quite fast enough for Divine Intervention openings (not a fan, a huge investment soon removed) but I can see his opening and react accordingly.

Let's look at how it fares against one possible Beastmaster Aggro opening.
Turn 1:BM double moves to Near Centre and casts Battle Forge in Far Centre.
Turn 2: (Ring of Beasts) BM moves 1 closer (not Far Centre, avoid Forge) and cast Falcon Pet and Rouse the Beasts to attack corner.
Turn 3: (Enchanter's Ring) Cervere and Rouse the Beasts for last action attack (creature overlap). Falcon Pet goes for a Crystal if Golem goes on guard first action (if Wizard started with Initiative) else first action attacks the Wizard again.

If I am playing against Beastmaster and I don't start with Initiative, I may open instead summon Golem on turn 1 to ensure I have a guard ready first action next turn against the above Beastmaster opening. This delays a mana efficient optimal opening for safety. You're a poor chess player if you always stick to the same predictable opening. This great game's hardest skill is predicting the opponent's game plan.

Yes, a hyper aggressive build can cause problems but it just means you tool up on armour (Forge) and weather the storm. Every Wizard can face this Beastmaster opening. A Wizard that maximises distance then summons a Golem turn 2 then possibly again turn 4, 5 and 6 can weather the storm better than most Wizards. Otherwise Beastmaster would be winning all the time and not Wizards.

Warlock's Lord of Fire / Cheetah Speed / Shift Enchantment super aggro opening is less of an issue as Warlock does not have the swarm overlap that Beastmaster has. And Golems are Burnproof with Poison Immunity versus Warlock. (Let's not consider Forcemaster aggro.)

Against Priest or Air Wizard, Earth Wizard opts for a Hydra guard like we all did when first playing Wizard to avoid Light / Lightning issues.

The reason there are 7 elite creatures is because against such an early onslaught, you will trade elites. But you have more elites than any other build, very resilient to boot. You should have enough left to win with after you have weathered the storm.

Maybe I should post my beloved Straywood Beastmaster book (with Galador of course) as it has come the closest to beating Earth Wizard due to its super aggro opening.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:05:08 PM by DeckBuilder »